News:

Two rules to success in life: 1. Don't tell people everything you know.

Main Menu

Being a fan.

Started by eo000, October 01, 2005, 11:11:48 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

eo000

Any of you other sports fans here have your day ruined when your all-time favorite team loses?  I know it's only a game, and it's not at all important in the greater scheme of things, but still.

Mr. Ubiquity

Quote from: eo000 on October 01, 2005, 11:11:48 AM
Any of you other sports fans here have your day ruined when your all-time favorite team loses?  I know it's only a game, and it's not at all important in the greater scheme of things, but still.

i usually try to not let a 50-100 million dollar per year team ( or college if it be) ruin my day because they failed to live up to their coaches expectations.

I feel more loss for a HS or little league team when they lose...   

thats just me.
"if I wank to it, will u feel disgusted or flattered or a perverse combo of both?"

eo000

that's why i said "favorite team"

Mr. Ubiquity

Quote from: eo000 on October 01, 2005, 12:56:12 PM
that's why i said "favorite team"

yes.. you did..  but as i have no favorites yet..  its all theory..
"if I wank to it, will u feel disgusted or flattered or a perverse combo of both?"

eo000

crap.

msu 31
u of m 34    OT.

SockmonkeyHolocaust

As a Philly fan, we consistently have decent teams that usually fare pretty well in all realms of sports contests but they are never the best. I had to accept that many, many years ago and now I am at peace with it.

I feel your pain.

VikingJuice

I've felt that pain so many times over the years.  I'm a Dolphins fan and we also field fairly strong teams over the last 20 years of my viewership.  The early season losses don't hurt me as much but almost every year, there comes a moment where I think we might actually have a chance to go the distance.  Then towards the latter third of the season, there is always a game that is really big, really important, and we crash on the rocks as though we've just plowed a wooden Spanish galleon onto a reef and the parts and pieces of the team go flying all over the place in the wreckage.  And when I get to that point, the sting is intense as I realize it'll be another year of waiting and hoping to get better and knowing that for now, all I can do is ride out the season to it's inevitable deflating end.  But I keep coming back because the thrill of victory for my boys is so strong an appeal to me.  GO FINS BABY!!

cnamon

I am a Redskins fan.  Nuff said.

Infobahn

Quote from: cnamon on October 02, 2005, 08:25:15 AM
I am a Redskins fan. Nuff said.
I got you beat.  I am a Vikings fan.

Jessie

I tried to find a pic of someone dressed like a fan (see below) by GISing 'fan costume'.  It didn't help me, but eo, I'm guessing you'll find some stuff in there to tickle your fancy.

we should have kept the quote pyramid up to rape Jessie in the face.

Alice

Sometimes.

You will defo see my mood changing during the upcoming playoffs. 

*crosses fingers*

sugar_grrl

I'm a Broncos fan....so I have mood swings regarding their outstanding wins and ASS STUPID losses every year.  I guess that's how they get people to watch though...lose the games that they have in the bag, and win the games that are stacked against them....
Have you ever seen a llama kiss a llama on the llama?

Listener

Quote from: vikingjuice on October 02, 2005, 02:54:36 AM
I've felt that pain so many times over the years.  I'm a Dolphins fan and we also field fairly strong teams over the last 20 years of my viewership.  The early season losses don't hurt me as much but almost every year, there comes a moment where I think we might actually have a chance to go the distance.  Then towards the latter third of the season, there is always a game that is really big, really important, and we crash on the rocks as though we've just plowed a wooden Spanish galleon onto a reef and the parts and pieces of the team go flying all over the place in the wreckage.  And when I get to that point, the sting is intense as I realize it'll be another year of waiting and hoping to get better and knowing that for now, all I can do is ride out the season to it's inevitable deflating end.  But I keep coming back because the thrill of victory for my boys is so strong an appeal to me.  GO FINS BABY!!

The annual Dolphins collapse is referred to in Jewish DolFan circles as "Hanukkah", because you never know quite when it's going to hit, but it's usually in December.

This year, Hanukkah starts the day after Christmas.  If the Dolphins stay this good until then, I don't mind if they lose their last game (New Year's Weekend) because they'll be in the playoffs already.

It's only a matter of time until we see if Nick Saban is the second coming of Jon Gruden, who took a team with an average offense and an awesome defense to the Superbowl in his first year with that team.

VikingJuice

Quote from: Listener on October 03, 2005, 02:33:49 PM

The annual Dolphins collapse is referred to in Jewish DolFan circles as "Hanukkah", because you never know quite when it's going to hit, but it's usually in December.

This year, Hanukkah starts the day after Christmas.  If the Dolphins stay this good until then, I don't mind if they lose their last game (New Year's Weekend) because they'll be in the playoffs already.

It's only a matter of time until we see if Nick Saban is the second coming of Jon Gruden, who took a team with an average offense and an awesome defense to the Superbowl in his first year with that team.

I'd say you're being waaaaayy premature in any sort of comparison to a guy who won a SuperBowl.  Not to mention the fact that the team he took over had made the playoffs in like 4 consecutive years prior to his take over.  Saban inherits a squad that was dead meat for much of last season.  I think the overhaul will be a little more time consuming-unfortunately.

Listener

Quote from: vikingjuice on October 03, 2005, 03:39:34 PM

I'd say you're being waaaaayy premature in any sort of comparison to a guy who won a SuperBowl.  Not to mention the fact that the team he took over had made the playoffs in like 4 consecutive years prior to his take over.  Saban inherits a squad that was dead meat for much of last season.  I think the overhaul will be a little more time consuming-unfortunately.

Oh, I know, but the season just got a lot easier, given that two of the four teams in the division have no QB.

VikingJuice

Quote from: Listener on October 03, 2005, 04:10:00 PM
Quote from: vikingjuice on October 03, 2005, 03:39:34 PM

Oh, I know, but the season just got a lot easier, given that two of the four teams in the division have no QB.

And I didn't realize this till I read this morning's paper, we're in 1st place all alone!!  Might not last, but it sure is SWEET!!

PS.  I've always referred to their December swoon as the ANUAL EL FLOPPO!!  I usually get my confirmation from a flogging at the hands of a divisional foe: BUF, NE, and NYJ sometime right after Thanksgiving.

DownSouth

The Gamecock game was painful to watch.  I wanted to reach through the screen and smack Spurrier.
16:15:43 [Gamplayerx] Juneau, I could really go for some pie. You better Belize it!

Listener

In 1997, UCF lost to the Gamecocks, 33-28.

Headline on the back page of the UCF student paper:

Loss to Cocks Hard to Swallow

I still have that page somewhere in a folder.

DownSouth

Quote from: Listener on October 04, 2005, 11:17:09 AM
In 1997, UCF lost to the Gamecocks, 33-28.

Headline on the back page of the UCF student paper:

Loss to Cocks Hard to Swallow

I still have that page somewhere in a folder.
HAAAAAAAAAAA
16:15:43 [Gamplayerx] Juneau, I could really go for some pie. You better Belize it!

VikingJuice

Quote from: DownSouth on October 04, 2005, 10:08:17 AM
The Gamecock game was painful to watch.  I wanted to reach through the screen and smack Spurrier.

Keep in mind DS, SC has been a second rate program for years.  You can't turn around a couple decades of sporadic success mixed with too many years of ineptitude overnight.  It takes about 3 years for the kinds of recruits that new coaches bring in to start making a difference.  Your OL is weak, your WR core is weak save one guy, and your 1st QB was recruited to be an option/multiple offense kind of guy not a fun and gun kind of guy.  And your second QB was brought in to be an athlete and run the option plays for Holtz's offense.

You've got a lot of square pegs being jammed into round holes with the pressure of a big time coach and growing program on their backs.

In time, you will have a program you can mostly be proud of.  I say mostly because even if you're winning, Spurrier will find a way to make your skin crawl with irritation.  But you will win in time.

Alice

Quote from: vikingjuice on October 04, 2005, 03:37:35 PM
You've got a lot of square pegs being jammed into round holes with the pressure of a big time coach and growing program on their backs.

Sounds like a fun Friday night to me.

DownSouth

Yeah.  Holtz sure as hell didn't do shit.  If there's one thing you learn about being a Gamecock fan it's patience.  

VikingJuice

Quote from: AliceLiddell on October 04, 2005, 03:43:56 PM
Quote from: vikingjuice on October 04, 2005, 03:37:35 PM

Sounds like a fun Friday night to me.

I KNEW IT!!

dazie

I am a Penn State fan.  Go Joe!

I am a Raiders fan.  Go whoever the coach of the moment is.  (I really really miss Gruden)

I know the ups and the downs.  Neither really get to me any more, but it's exciting when they're up!

At PSU we had a saying- if we win we celebrate, if we lose we mourn.  That's pretty much it.
"Pinky, are you pondering what I'm pondering?"
I think so, Brain, but how will we get the Spice Girls into the paella?

VikingJuice

Quote from: dazie on October 04, 2005, 08:16:09 PM

I am a Raiders fan.  Go whoever the coach of the moment is.  (I really really miss Gruden)

I know the ups and the downs.  Neither really get to me any more, but it's exciting when they're up!

At PSU we had a saying- if we win we celebrate, if we lose we mourn.  That's pretty much it.

We did something like that in Little League baseball when I was a kid.  Only it was if we win you get a banana split at Dairy Queen, if you lose you only get milk shakes.  Either way, as kids, we came out way ahead in the process of just showing up.

Yes, it's true, all my early athletic acheivements were motivated by crappy icecream.  Eventually I got addicted to winning and not for the food.

Mr. Ubiquity

Quote from: vikingjuice on October 04, 2005, 08:57:47 PM

We did something like that in Little League baseball when I was a kid.  Only it was if we win you get a banana split at Dairy Queen, if you lose you only get milk shakes.  Either way, as kids, we came out way ahead in the process of just showing up.

Yes, it's true, all my early athletic acheivements were motivated by crappy icecream.  Eventually I got addicted to winning and not for the food.

i just thought of something very peverse and disgusting because of this reply.. 

so bad i wont even share it..  sorry folks.  nothing to read here.

dazie

Quote from: Marixis on October 04, 2005, 09:35:06 PM

And this is different from your usual posts how??

;)

Beefy

DO IT

Listener

Mr. Ubiquity

Quote from: Beef on October 05, 2005, 10:35:19 AM

DO IT
Ok but y'all asked for it..

in other words.  dirty child molester little league coaches.   " ok boys if you win you get a banana... but if you lose.. you just get the milk shake..  came out ahead...   all suggestive of the type of coach he had.   

whats offwhite and comes in little cans??

Michael Jackson.

dazie

I just want to go on record here as saying I DID NOT ASK FOR THAT.  It was all Beefy.  I was perfectly content with my witty riposte. 

Alice

Wow, I didn't expect anything like that.  That answer is pretty tame compared to where I thought it was going to go.

Mr. Ubiquity

Quote from: AliceLiddell on October 05, 2005, 01:49:54 PM
Wow, I didn't expect anything like that.  That answer is pretty tame compared to where I thought it was going to go.

*sniff*

im either losing may touch, or your all going numb to my replies..

did i ever tell u the joke about the custodian and the priest?

Alice

Quote from: Marixis on October 05, 2005, 01:52:50 PM

*sniff*

I think it's just that you think you're more shocking for this crowd than you actually are.  Most of us are pretty shock-free.

Mr. Ubiquity

Quote from: AliceLiddell on October 05, 2005, 01:54:55 PM

*sniff*

I think it's just that you think you're more shocking for this crowd than you actually are.  Most of us are pretty shock-free.

ahh..  then its just the same old high school routine where there is a click and if your in it.. your all good, but if you not.. then whatever you say or dont say etc doesnt count or is just ignored in hopes it will go away/?

You guys are sooooo Heathers.

Alice

Quote from: Marixis on October 05, 2005, 02:21:45 PM
Quote from: AliceLiddell on October 05, 2005, 01:54:55 PM

*sniff*

ahh..  then its just the same old high school routine where there is a click and if your in it.. your all good, but if you not.. then whatever you say or dont say etc doesnt count or is just ignored in hopes it will go away/?

You guys are sooooo Heathers.
What are you talking about?  That's not what I meant at all.  I'm just saying that we say some pretty shocking things around here, so talking about banana splits and milkshakes being "sexual innuendo" isn't really that big of a deal around here... so you don't need to censor yourself as much as you think.  Unless you want to.  This has nothing to do with cliques or ignoring anyone.  Lighten up buddy, you're welcome here and people read what you say.  Okay?   :)

ignom

I love my dead gay son.
Underneath this flabby exterior is an enormous lack of character.

Beefy

What's the worst thing about having sex with a one year old?

Wiping the blood off your wang.

Alice

What do you get when you hit a baby with a baseball bat?

A huge erection.

Beefy

Quote from: AliceLiddell on October 05, 2005, 04:21:14 PM

A huge erection.

Yeah, that was the other one that came to mind.

Alice

Quote from: Beef on October 05, 2005, 04:22:06 PM

A huge erection.

My favorite answer to your first joke...

Getting the blood out of your "World's Greatest Dad" t-shirt.

Beefy

Quote from: AliceLiddell on October 05, 2005, 04:22:58 PM

A huge erection.

I've also seen 'clown suit' get used.

nishi

it's hockey time, it's hockey time!!!!

hockey
      hockey
              hockey
"we left the motherland to settle a colony on Juntoo.  hats with belt buckles."
-catchr

<- this is a prankapple.

VikingJuice

Quote from: AliceLiddell on October 05, 2005, 04:22:58 PM

A huge erection.

That reminds me....

What's the worst thing about going down on a hairless girl?              Putting the diaper back on.

Alice

Quote from: nishi on October 05, 2005, 07:14:53 PM
it's hockey time, it's hockey time!!!!

hockey
      hockey
              hockey

Go Redwings!

cnamon

I have never been to a hockey game.  I am excited to go see the Caps play this year.

nishi

you will love hockey, dots!!!

alice, i am a free agent fan this year. i've followed the new jersey devils for a while because i love martin brodeur in the net, but i need to find a more interesting team to follow. i'm tempted by the penguins - but the red wings certainly are still in the running. between you and darius, i might get pulled over to the wing side!

for a while, i kept trying to like the blackhawks, but i've permanently given that up as hopeless.
"we left the motherland to settle a colony on Juntoo.  hats with belt buckles."
-catchr

<- this is a prankapple.

ignom

I used to go to a lot of minor league hockey games when I was in high school because my mom's boss had season tickets. I wanted to go to Boston College because I liked their hockey team.

I don't watch it anymore.
Underneath this flabby exterior is an enormous lack of character.

DownSouth

I've only been to a minor league game.  It was fun though.

http://www.columbiainferno.com/

Alice

Quote from: nishi on October 06, 2005, 12:38:49 PM
for a while, i kept trying to like the blackhawks, but i've permanently given that up as hopeless.

As a life-long Chicagoan, I understand completely.  I tried to like them but it's impossible.

VikingJuice

Hockey hasn't been the same since Red Grange, er Gordie Howe Retired.

Infobahn

When did we get back to talking Hockey as a group?  When do we comment on each others hair?

dazie

Quote from: Infobahn on October 06, 2005, 06:56:53 PM
When did we get back to talking Hockey as a group?  When do we comment on each others hair?

You have great hair.  I hope nobody felt butt hurt 'cuz I said that.