News:

In spite of the cost of living, it's still quite popular.

Main Menu

I need a new computer

Started by Jessie, March 16, 2005, 09:07:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jessie

But I also need a bed, a tv, dishes, towels, and basically every other household item outside of living room furniture.

Sigh.
we should have kept the quote pyramid up to rape Jessie in the face.

ReBurn

Just remember that you have to have priorities.  Internet access is right up there with food.
11:42:24 [Gamplayerx] I keep getting knocked up.
11:42:28 [Gamplayerx] Er. OUT!

Beefy

nishi

"we left the motherland to settle a colony on Juntoo.  hats with belt buckles."
-catchr

<- this is a prankapple.

Beefy

Let me go watch 9 1/2 weeks and I'll get back with you.

Dry then Catch

are you sure your comp is upgraded to the max?  if its an older one you can get a new processor for like 30 bucks and some RAM for about the same amount.  makes a world of difference.

Infobahn

I still have a PIII 550 that works fine after upgrades.

Memory did it for me.

Jessie

I had a brief consultation with a professional (Reburn in chat0 a while back, and he said it's not really worth the upgrade.

Maybe before I move I'll get everything else taken care of and treat myself to a new computer.

Until then, I'll just whine.

Gamplayerx

I could totally hook you up with a tv or 3. 

Jessie

Quote from: Gamplayerx on March 17, 2005, 07:39:20 AM
I could totally hook you up with a tv or 3. 

I'd totally take you up on it.

cnamon

You should register online and we could buy you housewarming gifts.  I think Iwill do the same cause I still need stuff.

HINT, HINT!

Infobahn

I was going to buy Gamp a crockpot, but she doesn't cook.  I can get you a crockpot.

Put a wish list up on Amazon.  I am game.

Jessie

I actually thought at one time that we should do something like that for birthdays and whatnot.

If everyone put up a wishlist, we'd know what to send if we wanted to send a gift.

Dry then Catch

Quote from: jessie on March 16, 2005, 10:48:54 PM
I had a brief consultation with a professional (Reburn in chat0 a while back, and he said it's not really worth the upgrade.

Maybe before I move I'll get everything else taken care of and treat myself to a new computer.

just out of curiousity what are you running right now?  i of course yield to Reburn on these matters, but you seriously can get good upgrades (used) for like 40 bucks

ReBurn

HAHAHA she said Reburn and professional in the same sentence!
11:42:24 [Gamplayerx] I keep getting knocked up.
11:42:28 [Gamplayerx] Er. OUT!

Jessie

Quote from: CatchrNdRy on March 17, 2005, 11:52:20 AM

just out of curiousity what are you running right now?  i of course yield to Reburn on these matters, but you seriously can get good upgrades (used) for like 40 bucks

I don't know.  A 1.1g Celeron processor.  I have an HP Pavilion something or other.  I have 500+mb of RAM (not quite sure on that).  I have a 40gb hard drive that's probably 1/2 to 3/4 full. 

What else do you want to know?

The computer is about 3 or 4 years old. 

Dry then Catch

http://www.cpuid.com/pcw.php#download

that should give you your specs.  if you have RAM slots left that is the cheapest best way to boost your performance IMHO

Jessie

Quote from: CatchrNdRy on March 17, 2005, 12:44:39 PM
http://www.cpuid.com/pcw.php#download

that should give you your specs.  if you have RAM slots left that is the cheapest best way to boost your performance IMHO

I'm pretty sure they're all full. 

Can a processor just be worn out?  It used to be a lot faster, and I had a lot more programs loaded then.

Dry then Catch

ok i'm sure you have done the following:

1) defrag hard drive, 2) virus check (if you haven't i know of two free good web based programs)

3)  spyware scan
but

4) get a freeware startup manager.  there are often times tons of programs that do not show up in "Startup" that run that you don't really need.

5)  and most importantly....clear out your registry.  with what you said about your comp it shouldn't be a problem. 

i can provide links to all if you need. 

am i missing anything IT types? 

i would think hard drive degradation would drive speed down quicker than CPU problems.  unless there was some sort of short or corrosion on the leads. 

DownSouth

16:15:43 [Gamplayerx] Juneau, I could really go for some pie. You better Belize it!

nishi

is this when i'm supposed to remind you to throw a quarter at it?
-catchr

<- this is a prankapple.

eo000

Quote from: nishi on March 17, 2005, 01:02:55 PM
fantastic!

nishi

Quote from: eo000 on March 17, 2005, 01:03:46 PM
Quote from: nishi on March 17, 2005, 01:02:55 PM
fantastic!

i am, i confess, particularly proud of that.
-catchr

<- this is a prankapple.

Jessie

Quote from: CatchrNdRy on March 17, 2005, 12:58:06 PM
ok i'm sure you have done the following:

1) defrag hard drive, 2) virus check (if you haven't i know of two free good web based programs)

3)  spyware scan
but

4) get a freeware startup manager.  there are often times tons of programs that do not show up in "Startup" that run that you don't really need.

5)  and most importantly....clear out your registry.  with what you said about your comp it shouldn't be a problem. 

i can provide links to all if you need. 

am i missing anything IT types? 

i would think hard drive degradation would drive speed down quicker than CPU problems.  unless there was some sort of short or corrosion on the leads. 

None of that's the issue.

The issue is that I WANT a new computer, not need.  It's still quite operable, just not fast enough for me.  I'm just being spoiled, probably.

I'm more concerned that it is going to die on me soon, not so much that it's inoperable right now.

I could probably clean it up a bit.  I ran defrag recently, and there wasn't much to do.