News:

04/07/05 1000th thread provided by Cnamon! This isn't really JuntoOnline. It's CnamonOnline!

Main Menu

cars and premium gas the conclusion

Started by Dry then Catch, September 04, 2005, 04:31:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dry then Catch

IIRC my first post on the old CH was regarding whether or not cars that required premium gas REALLY required as such.  Ignom said something about being a show off (asshole), a certain drink spiker said something about how we are cool for owning that brand of car and pretty much I got no helpful advice.

Well I put it to the test today.  I drove from my house in Tucson to my parent's in Phoenix.  I figured with gas being expensive I might as well go for the low grade.

With my radar detector on handy, I blasted through the desert highway at about 100 mph at some points.  After about 20 minutes of smooth driving, at any speed above 65 or so, the car was vibrating like the Challenger T + 30 after take off.  It was a damn Shiatsu massage the rest of the trip everytime the rpm went up. 

I don't even want to know how much the engine is messed up.

Anyway, its been like 10 months later and I got an answer to my question.  No thanks to you all. 

Gamplayerx

Gamplayerx

So, Lone Star, now you see that evil will always triumph because good is dumb.

meredith

well shit catchr i could have answered that question

the grade you should buy depends on the compression and timing of your engine. some engines have adjustable timing and will handle if you feed them lower-octane gas, but it's not optimal.  it sounds like yours probably didn't.  you may have bent a valve; otoh you may have been lucky.  what is it you drive anyway?

sapphirehart

Quote from: CatchrNdRy on September 04, 2005, 04:31:11 PM
a certain drink spiker   

Was that really necessary? Couldn't you just have said "someone else"?

ReBurn

Isn't it funny that the premium fill up is only about $3 more than the regular fill up if you buy 15 gallons, but the cost of having your fuel injector cleaned is going to be significantly higher than that?
11:42:24 [Gamplayerx] I keep getting knocked up.
11:42:28 [Gamplayerx] Er. OUT!

Infobahn

My minivan (yes, I drive a minivan) says to use regular only.

Dry then Catch

Quote from: sapphirehart on September 04, 2005, 08:19:19 PM
a certain drink spiker   

it's funnier this way because it gets a rise out of people and calls upon our shared history as a group.  Which I feel is important because it binds strangers together. 

Dry then Catch

Quote from: hattmoward on September 04, 2005, 08:16:04 PM
well shit catchr i could have answered that question

the grade you should buy depends on the compression and timing of your engine. some engines have adjustable timing and will handle if you feed them lower-octane gas, but it's not optimal.  it sounds like yours probably didn't.  you may have bent a valve; otoh you may have been lucky.  what is it you drive anyway?

C230

meredith

Hmmm.. the compression on that engine isn't that high.  I'm guessing you don't have the turbocharger.  Looks like the computer can retard the timing if you feed it peon-grade geo metro fuel, so you probably don't have any damage.  It likely doesn't have enough adjustment range to compensate well for that gas.  You should stick to the premium, you'll get the best fuel economy out of it since the engine is designed for it.  It may not be worth it to buy regular unleaded for your car.  *shrug*

Oh call a dealer or trusted mechanic and ask also.  I'm but an amateur mechanic, which really means "I'm full of shit".

Dry then Catch

its actually is a Kompressor, but yeah i wil stick with the premium, when you think about it its not THAT much more.  thx for the advice though

Beefy

Quote from: CatchrNdRy on September 04, 2005, 11:06:21 PM
Quote from: sapphirehart on September 04, 2005, 08:19:19 PM
a certain drink spiker   

it's funnier this way because it gets a rise out of people and calls upon our shared history as a group.  Which I feel is important because it binds strangers together. 

No one is free from the consequences of their actions.

meredith

Quote from: Beefy on September 05, 2005, 08:20:59 AM

* hattmoward shamefully shows the group his hairy palms

:(

dazie

Quote from: hattmoward on September 05, 2005, 11:27:31 AM
Quote from: Beefy on September 05, 2005, 08:20:59 AM

* hattmoward shamefully shows the group his hairy palms

:(

Quit drying yourself with the dog ya dumbass.
"Pinky, are you pondering what I'm pondering?"
I think so, Brain, but how will we get the Spice Girls into the paella?