News:

Do you all even read these?

Main Menu

Jarhead

Started by DownSouth, November 03, 2005, 03:13:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

DownSouth

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0418763/

I really want to see it.  You think it will be good or the suck?
16:15:43 [Gamplayerx] Juneau, I could really go for some pie. You better Belize it!

Bishamonten

It looks pretty good.  Has a good cast and Sam Mendes is a pretty good director.

cnamon

I really want to see it too.

I think it will be pretty good.  I didn't know Marines knew how to write though.

Beefy

All the reviews I read were positive, but that audiences in general left the film feeling like there wasn't enough there.  Apparently the film deals with how these guys think about war prior to being sent to one and how those thoughts are completely formed by Hollywood movies.  And then they get there and life isn't like that.  And how bored they are.  There is supposedly not much action in it.

cnamon

Quote from: Beefy on November 03, 2005, 03:16:11 PM
All the reviews I read were positive, but that audiences in general left the film feeling like there wasn't enough there.  Apparently the film deals with how these guys think about war prior to being sent to one and how those thoughts are completely formed by Hollywood movies.  And then they get there and life isn't like that.  And how bored they are.  There is supposedly not much action in it.
To be honest...it does get pretty boring.  I spent more time in the gym and at BK than I did locked and loaded.

VikingJuice

Quote from: The Dots on November 03, 2005, 03:21:34 PM
To be honest...it does get pretty boring.  I spent more time in the gym and at BK than I did locked and loaded.

They had Burger Kings in Iraq?  Sweet.  So if it's not a Royale with Cheese, what do you call it there?

Listener

My uncle was in the US Army for Desert Storm.  He didn't see any action, as far as I know.  The best story he came back with was that they used glow-in-the-dark condoms to cover the muzzle-ends of their rifles.

Jessie

Tyler said he got bored a lot but he also almost got killed a lot.  I'm glad he's home.
we should have kept the quote pyramid up to rape Jessie in the face.

cnamon

Quote from: Jessie on November 03, 2005, 08:53:56 PM
Tyler said he got bored a lot but he also almost got killed a lot.  I'm glad he's home.
[/quoteWhen did he get home?  I am glad he is home too.  Give him a big hug.

cnamon

Quote from: Orange Juice Jones on November 03, 2005, 07:19:10 PM
Quote from: The Dots on November 03, 2005, 03:21:34 PM

They had Burger Kings in Iraq?  Sweet.  So if it's not a Royale with Cheese, what do you call it there?
It was a Royale.  I shit you not.

Mr. Ubiquity

we're so spoiled.  We expect a war movie to be chock fuill of blood, corpses, bombs, tanks, death death and some more death.  While thats all good and wonderful, its not a true representation of war.  This one is showing the opposite side of war.  There isnt always heroism, there isnt always a man sacrificing himself for the good of the whole platoon,  all battles won dont kill the enemy, etc.  Soldiers get bored, they dont always have glamorus missions to go on, they dont always kill the enemy, etc.

I think the movie will be really good.  Just a movie that says, hey our soldiers are sacrificing their lives and thier sanity to do heroic things but not everything they do is heroic or even understandable, but they do what they ahve to do.
"if I wank to it, will u feel disgusted or flattered or a perverse combo of both?"

Listener

Quote from: Mr. Ubiquity on November 04, 2005, 09:19:33 AM

we're so spoiled.  We expect a war movie to be chock fuill of blood, corpses, bombs, tanks, death death and some more death.  While thats all good and wonderful, its not a true representation of war.  This one is showing the opposite side of war.  There isnt always heroism, there isnt always a man sacrificing himself for the good of the whole platoon,  all battles won dont kill the enemy, etc.  Soldiers get bored, they dont always have glamorus missions to go on, they dont always kill the enemy, etc.

I think the movie will be really good.  Just a movie that says, hey our soldiers are sacrificing their lives and thier sanity to do heroic things but not everything they do is heroic or even understandable, but they do what they ahve to do.

It might have been Patton who said something about war being long periods of boredom followed by short periods of excitement (or it might not; I forget), but it definitely was British Author Terry Pratchett who said war is short periods of excitement followed by long periods of being dead.

I'm surprised that it's taken this long to make a movie that follows Mr Ubiquity's point.

Jessie

Quote from: The Dots on November 03, 2005, 10:32:14 PM
Quote from: Jessie on November 03, 2005, 08:53:56 PM
[/quoteWhen did he get home?  I am glad he is home too.  Give him a big hug.

He's been home a week.  I've seen him once.  If he gets time to see me again, I'll hug him for you.

eo000

i liked it. it was good.

ReBurn

That seals it.  I'm going to sneak out of work one day to see it.
11:42:24 [Gamplayerx] I keep getting knocked up.
11:42:28 [Gamplayerx] Er. OUT!

Gamplayerx

eo000:  reviewer extraordinaire.

DownSouth

It was pretty good.  Some funny parts.  I watched it too late though.
16:15:43 [Gamplayerx] Juneau, I could really go for some pie. You better Belize it!

Beefy

My ex-Marine coworker saw it.  He said it was awful, and had he been the one who drove to the theater it would have been the first film he paid to see that he would have walked out on.

DownSouth

Quote from: Beefy on November 07, 2005, 02:41:11 PM
My ex-Marine coworker saw it.  He said it was awful, and had he been the one who drove to the theater it would have been the first film he paid to see that he would have walked out on.
I wouldn't pay to see it again.

ReBurn

He didn't go expecting realism, did he?
11:42:24 [Gamplayerx] I keep getting knocked up.
11:42:28 [Gamplayerx] Er. OUT!

Mr. Ubiquity

Quote from: Randolph Scott on November 07, 2005, 04:03:54 PM
He didn't go expecting realism, did he?

yet another case of someone assuming a war movie has to have blood, death, and corpses.  Hopefully, I will still like it after i go see it and not eat my own words.
"if I wank to it, will u feel disgusted or flattered or a perverse combo of both?"

Jessie

Tyler showed me a bunch of pictures and videos he and others took in Iraq and Kuwait.

There was some blood, a few guts, a fair bit of destruction, some explosions, and a bunch of guys who just looked like they wanted to go home.

Mr. Ubiquity

Quote from: Jessie on November 08, 2005, 09:14:38 AM
Tyler showed me a bunch of pictures and videos he and others took in Iraq and Kuwait.

There was some blood, a few guts, a fair bit of destruction, some explosions, and a bunch of guys who just looked like they wanted to go home.

sounds like a fair discription.  I wonder how many of the soldiers truely support the ideals of this *war*.  I would imagine most dont, but realize that this is the job they chose to do when they are called to do it??

Jessie

Quote from: Mr. Ubiquity on November 08, 2005, 09:27:49 AM

sounds like a fair discription.  I wonder how many of the soldiers truely support the ideals of this *war*.  I would imagine most dont, but realize that this is the job they chose to do when they are called to do it??
Tyler did before he left, but when he got there, he said we shouldn't be there.  But I don't think his thoughts are quite that black and white about it, though.

Mr. Ubiquity

Quote from: Jessie on November 08, 2005, 09:29:54 AM
Quote from: Mr. Ubiquity on November 08, 2005, 09:27:49 AM

Tyler did before he left, but when he got there, he said we shouldn't be there.  But I don't think his thoughts are quite that black and white about it, though.

probably not.  war rarely has black or white concepts or throughts.  usually splattered red with confustion, lies, miscommunication, deception.  Sadly it doesnt hurt the politicans any except for thier votes only when they care about them.  The soldiers and their friends and families are the ones who lose when they are sent to a place they dont belong.