News:

03/23/05 10,000th post provided by Cnamon!

Main Menu

Jarhead

Started by DownSouth, November 03, 2005, 03:13:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

DownSouth

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0418763/

I really want to see it.  You think it will be good or the suck?
16:15:43 [Gamplayerx] Juneau, I could really go for some pie. You better Belize it!

Bishamonten

It looks pretty good.  Has a good cast and Sam Mendes is a pretty good director.

cnamon

I really want to see it too.

I think it will be pretty good.  I didn't know Marines knew how to write though.

Beefy

All the reviews I read were positive, but that audiences in general left the film feeling like there wasn't enough there.  Apparently the film deals with how these guys think about war prior to being sent to one and how those thoughts are completely formed by Hollywood movies.  And then they get there and life isn't like that.  And how bored they are.  There is supposedly not much action in it.

cnamon

Quote from: Beefy on November 03, 2005, 03:16:11 PM
All the reviews I read were positive, but that audiences in general left the film feeling like there wasn't enough there.  Apparently the film deals with how these guys think about war prior to being sent to one and how those thoughts are completely formed by Hollywood movies.  And then they get there and life isn't like that.  And how bored they are.  There is supposedly not much action in it.
To be honest...it does get pretty boring.  I spent more time in the gym and at BK than I did locked and loaded.

VikingJuice

Quote from: The Dots on November 03, 2005, 03:21:34 PM
To be honest...it does get pretty boring.  I spent more time in the gym and at BK than I did locked and loaded.

They had Burger Kings in Iraq?  Sweet.  So if it's not a Royale with Cheese, what do you call it there?

Listener

My uncle was in the US Army for Desert Storm.  He didn't see any action, as far as I know.  The best story he came back with was that they used glow-in-the-dark condoms to cover the muzzle-ends of their rifles.

Jessie

Tyler said he got bored a lot but he also almost got killed a lot.  I'm glad he's home.
we should have kept the quote pyramid up to rape Jessie in the face.

cnamon

Quote from: Jessie on November 03, 2005, 08:53:56 PM
Tyler said he got bored a lot but he also almost got killed a lot.  I'm glad he's home.
[/quoteWhen did he get home?  I am glad he is home too.  Give him a big hug.

cnamon

Quote from: Orange Juice Jones on November 03, 2005, 07:19:10 PM
Quote from: The Dots on November 03, 2005, 03:21:34 PM

They had Burger Kings in Iraq?  Sweet.  So if it's not a Royale with Cheese, what do you call it there?
It was a Royale.  I shit you not.

Mr. Ubiquity

we're so spoiled.  We expect a war movie to be chock fuill of blood, corpses, bombs, tanks, death death and some more death.  While thats all good and wonderful, its not a true representation of war.  This one is showing the opposite side of war.  There isnt always heroism, there isnt always a man sacrificing himself for the good of the whole platoon,  all battles won dont kill the enemy, etc.  Soldiers get bored, they dont always have glamorus missions to go on, they dont always kill the enemy, etc.

I think the movie will be really good.  Just a movie that says, hey our soldiers are sacrificing their lives and thier sanity to do heroic things but not everything they do is heroic or even understandable, but they do what they ahve to do.
"if I wank to it, will u feel disgusted or flattered or a perverse combo of both?"

Listener

Quote from: Mr. Ubiquity on November 04, 2005, 09:19:33 AM

we're so spoiled.  We expect a war movie to be chock fuill of blood, corpses, bombs, tanks, death death and some more death.  While thats all good and wonderful, its not a true representation of war.  This one is showing the opposite side of war.  There isnt always heroism, there isnt always a man sacrificing himself for the good of the whole platoon,  all battles won dont kill the enemy, etc.  Soldiers get bored, they dont always have glamorus missions to go on, they dont always kill the enemy, etc.

I think the movie will be really good.  Just a movie that says, hey our soldiers are sacrificing their lives and thier sanity to do heroic things but not everything they do is heroic or even understandable, but they do what they ahve to do.

It might have been Patton who said something about war being long periods of boredom followed by short periods of excitement (or it might not; I forget), but it definitely was British Author Terry Pratchett who said war is short periods of excitement followed by long periods of being dead.

I'm surprised that it's taken this long to make a movie that follows Mr Ubiquity's point.

Jessie

Quote from: The Dots on November 03, 2005, 10:32:14 PM
Quote from: Jessie on November 03, 2005, 08:53:56 PM
[/quoteWhen did he get home?  I am glad he is home too.  Give him a big hug.

He's been home a week.  I've seen him once.  If he gets time to see me again, I'll hug him for you.

eo000

i liked it. it was good.

ReBurn

That seals it.  I'm going to sneak out of work one day to see it.
11:42:24 [Gamplayerx] I keep getting knocked up.
11:42:28 [Gamplayerx] Er. OUT!

Gamplayerx

eo000:  reviewer extraordinaire.

DownSouth

It was pretty good.  Some funny parts.  I watched it too late though.
16:15:43 [Gamplayerx] Juneau, I could really go for some pie. You better Belize it!

Beefy

My ex-Marine coworker saw it.  He said it was awful, and had he been the one who drove to the theater it would have been the first film he paid to see that he would have walked out on.

DownSouth

Quote from: Beefy on November 07, 2005, 02:41:11 PM
My ex-Marine coworker saw it.  He said it was awful, and had he been the one who drove to the theater it would have been the first film he paid to see that he would have walked out on.
I wouldn't pay to see it again.

ReBurn

He didn't go expecting realism, did he?

Mr. Ubiquity

Quote from: Randolph Scott on November 07, 2005, 04:03:54 PM
He didn't go expecting realism, did he?

yet another case of someone assuming a war movie has to have blood, death, and corpses.  Hopefully, I will still like it after i go see it and not eat my own words.
"if I wank to it, will u feel disgusted or flattered or a perverse combo of both?"

Jessie

Tyler showed me a bunch of pictures and videos he and others took in Iraq and Kuwait.

There was some blood, a few guts, a fair bit of destruction, some explosions, and a bunch of guys who just looked like they wanted to go home.

Mr. Ubiquity

Quote from: Jessie on November 08, 2005, 09:14:38 AM
Tyler showed me a bunch of pictures and videos he and others took in Iraq and Kuwait.

There was some blood, a few guts, a fair bit of destruction, some explosions, and a bunch of guys who just looked like they wanted to go home.

sounds like a fair discription.  I wonder how many of the soldiers truely support the ideals of this *war*.  I would imagine most dont, but realize that this is the job they chose to do when they are called to do it??

Jessie

Quote from: Mr. Ubiquity on November 08, 2005, 09:27:49 AM

sounds like a fair discription.  I wonder how many of the soldiers truely support the ideals of this *war*.  I would imagine most dont, but realize that this is the job they chose to do when they are called to do it??
Tyler did before he left, but when he got there, he said we shouldn't be there.  But I don't think his thoughts are quite that black and white about it, though.

Mr. Ubiquity

Quote from: Jessie on November 08, 2005, 09:29:54 AM

Tyler did before he left, but when he got there, he said we shouldn't be there.  But I don't think his thoughts are quite that black and white about it, though.

probably not.  war rarely has black or white concepts or throughts.  usually splattered red with confustion, lies, miscommunication, deception.  Sadly it doesnt hurt the politicans any except for thier votes only when they care about them.  The soldiers and their friends and families are the ones who lose when they are sent to a place they dont belong.

cnamon

Quote from: Jessie on November 08, 2005, 09:29:54 AM

I don't think I ever truely supported it.  I felt more against it when I got there...some of the prisoners were pretty much on their death bed when we captured them.  I know that at least 2 are dead now...a few had nothing to do with the war...I think they were there just because.

Beefy

Quote from: Mr. Ubiquity on November 08, 2005, 09:00:00 AM
yet another case of someone assuming a war movie has to have blood, death, and corpses. 

He's read the book three times and loves it.  He just thought the movie sucked.

Mr. Ubiquity

Quote from: Beefy on November 08, 2005, 09:47:19 AM
yet another case of someone assuming a war movie has to have blood, death, and corpses. 

sadly a movie cant compare to a book.  The books causes you to imagine everything thats being discribed, and the better the imagination, the more * fantastic* the images.   a movie is just someones vision of anothers words.  so your forced to just watch and hopefully like.

ReBurn

Quote from: Mr. Ubiquity on November 08, 2005, 09:52:46 AM

sadly a movie cant compare to a book.  The books causes most people to imagine everything thats being discribed, just not ReBurn because he thinks too concretely, and the better the imagination, the more * fantastic* the images.   a movie is just someones vision of anothers words.  so your forced to just watch and hopefully like.

I don't think I've ever been forced to watch a movie.  I don't understand that concept.

Mr. Ubiquity

Quote from: Randolph Scott on November 08, 2005, 09:54:59 AM

sadly a movie cant compare to a book.  The books causes most people to imagine everything thats being discribed, just not ReBurn because he thinks too concretely, and the better the imagination, the more * fantastic* the images.   a movie is just someones vision of anothers words.  so your forced to just watch and hopefully like.

I don't think I've ever been forced to watch a movie.  I don't understand that concept.

ok forced was the wrong word.  try instead sit back and watch and hopefully like.

Alice

sadly a movie cant compare to a book.  The books causes you to imagine everything thats being discribed, and the better the imagination, the more * fantastic* the images.   a movie is just someones vision of anothers words.  so your forced to just watch and hopefully like.

Actually, the reason why books are typically better than movies is due to the fact that in books, you can read and understand characters thoughts.  In movies, they have to try and portray it - but it's very hard to portray thought... so you're left mainly with action.  It's harder to get as involved in the storyline with only the plot to draw you in.

Mr. Ubiquity

Quote from: Alice on November 08, 2005, 12:34:43 PM

Actually, the reason why books are typically better than movies is due to the fact that in books, you can read and understand characters thoughts.  In movies, they have to try and portray it - but it's very hard to portray thought... so you're left mainly with action.  It's harder to get as involved in the storyline with only the plot to draw you in.

same thing i said, just better explained :)

ReBurn

The reason that movies are better than books is that the explosions are usually much better in movies.  So are the naked people, except for in About Schmidt.

Jessie

Quote from: Randolph Scott on November 08, 2005, 12:56:09 PM
The reason that movies are better than books is that the explosions are usually much better in movies.  So are the naked people, except for in About Schmidt.
Kathy Bates is hot.

Mr. Ubiquity

Quote from: Jessie on November 08, 2005, 12:59:11 PM
Quote from: Randolph Scott on November 08, 2005, 12:56:09 PM
Kathy Bates is hot.

only if she's roasted on a spit over a campfire.

Beefy

I didn't have an issue with Bates' nude scene.  I think all the moaning over it is silly.

Jessie

Quote from: Beefy on November 08, 2005, 01:28:12 PM
I didn't have an issue with Bates' nude scene.  I think all the moaning over it is silly.

I thought it was awesome.

I loved that movie.

Mr. Ubiquity

youve got big girl love blues dontcha?

Beefy

Quote from: Mr. Ubiquity on November 08, 2005, 03:29:42 PM

No, I just accept that people come in all shapes and sizes, ages and ideologies, and that seeing one naked who may happen to fall outside of our society's current standard for aesthetic pleasure will not in any way hurt me or make my life more unpleasant.

Tranny porn, however... *shudder*

Alice

Quote from: Beefy on November 08, 2005, 04:24:38 PM

No, I just accept that people come in all shapes and sizes, ages and ideologies, and that seeing one naked who may happen to fall outside of our society's current standard for aesthetic pleasure will not in any way hurt me or make my life more unpleasant.

Awesome.  I'm totally emailing you all the pics of me and the roomie nude.

Beefy

Quote from: Alice on November 08, 2005, 04:39:16 PM

Why were you being nude with the roomie?

She's probably excellent at cunnilingus, seeing as there is no chin to get in the way.

Alice

Quote from: Beefy on November 08, 2005, 05:14:01 PM
Quote from: Alice on November 08, 2005, 04:39:16 PM

Why were you being nude with the roomie?

She's probably excellent at cunnilingus, seeing as there is no chin to get in the way.

I really have never been nude with her... we've never seen eachother naked.  I was just kidding.

She has a tiny mouth.  It's like this big ----------------------> [   ]

Beefy

Quote from: Alice on November 08, 2005, 05:17:44 PM
She has a tiny mouth.  It's like this big ----------------------> [   ]

Well then, that explains her popularity with the boys.

Jessie

I think that the last female I saw naked was my sister in law, Misty. 

I saw my other sister in law naked and on all fours.  From behind.

Beefy

Quote from: Jessie on November 08, 2005, 07:56:55 PM

What kind of strap-on were you using?

Jessie

Quote from: Beefy on November 08, 2005, 08:17:16 PM
Quote from: Jessie on November 08, 2005, 07:56:55 PM

What kind of strap-on were you using?

She was in labor.  It was hawt!

ReBurn

Who gets on all fours to have a baby?  Your fambly is weird.

Jessie

She had a horrible labor.  My nephew was 9+ lbs and a good 75% of that was head.  They finally did an emergency c section because she couldn't deliver him.

ReBurn

I bet the doctors still tell that story at Christmas.  "...and we got her up on all fours..."

I would call shenanigans on 9 lbs. of head.  But then I think about Catchr...

DownSouth

Quote from: ReBurn on November 08, 2005, 08:47:38 PM
Explosive diarrhea would have been the perfect touch.

Alice

Quote from: DownSouth on November 09, 2005, 01:39:14 PM
Quote from: ReBurn on November 08, 2005, 08:47:38 PM
Explosive diarrhea would have been the perfect touch.

She could have had quintuplets.  One human baby and four poop babies.