News:

In spite of the cost of living, it's still quite popular.

Main Menu

Elizabethtown - A local's view

Started by Jessie, October 20, 2005, 08:18:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jessie

This movie had THE LONGEST beginning I've ever seen.  Had it not been for recognizing the scenery, I probably would have completely lost interest. 

There were several local inconsistencies.  First of all, the directions Kirsten Dunst gives Orlando Bloom were completely convoluted and wrong.  To get to Etown from the Louisville airport you go south on 65.  That's it.  The map she draws shows 264 going to Lexington.  It doesn't.  I mean, you can go that way to get 64 to go to Lexington, but 264 stays in Louisville.  And you certainly don't go that way to get to Etown, unless you're stupid.

I was giggling when he was driving around Louisville, because the places he was driving were nowhere near connected in the order in which they were shown.  One minute he was coming into the city going north, then west, then east.  This is extra funny considering that he should have been going south.

Etown is not nearly the small town that they make it out to be.  Granted, it's no big city, but there aren't people sitting at the courthouse waving as cars go by either.

Also, let me tell you that nobody drinks out of Derby glasses.  Nobody I know does anyway.  You either collect them or you don't have them. 

I've never heard so many variations of fake country accents or overuse of y'all in my life.  Even Timothy was laughing at their accents.  Which reminds me that there are several not kid safe moments, but I guess that's to be expected with PG 13. 

So anyhow, the ending is almost as slow and drawn out as the beginning.  If they'd cut this down to a 90 minute movie, it would have been a lot better.  It has a few good laughs, but you really don't care about the characters and it's going too many directions at once.  It was choppy and the timing was awful.

It's more of a renter, I guess.
we should have kept the quote pyramid up to rape Jessie in the face.

VikingJuice

I thought you didn't like lengthy reviews and such.  Is this Beef masqarading as Jessie?

ignom

Underneath this flabby exterior is an enormous lack of character.

VikingJuice

Quote from: ignom on October 20, 2005, 08:45:05 PM
Does Kirsten Dunst get nude?

If she did they wouldn't show anything, it's a Cameron Crowe flick.  He had Kelly Preston getting it in the first seconds of Jerry McGuire and did nothing with it other than her spouting off about getting hammered.

Jessie

You can almost see her boobies when she's taking a bath.

ignom

Quote from: Vikingjuice on October 20, 2005, 08:46:45 PM

If she did they wouldn't show anything, it's a Cameron Crowe flick.  He had Kelly Preston getting it in the first seconds of Jerry McGuire and did nothing with it other than her spouting off about getting hammered.

Kate Hudson was topless in Almost Famous.

VikingJuice

Quote from: ignom on October 20, 2005, 08:48:06 PM

But I don't recall them showing anything.  Did they?  It's been a while.  I should watch that again.  She was super cute.

ignom

Quote from: Vikingjuice on October 20, 2005, 08:49:16 PM

But I don't recall them showing anything.  Did they?  It's been a while.  I should watch that again.  She was super cute.

It's brief. You should watch the movie because it's a good movie, not because she is topless for a couple of seconds.

VikingJuice

Quote from: ignom on October 20, 2005, 08:51:51 PM
Quote from: Vikingjuice on October 20, 2005, 08:49:16 PM

It's brief. You should watch the movie because it's a good movie, not because she is topless for a couple of seconds.

I've seen it, in fact, I've seen it several times because I own it but I just don't remember that part.  You'd think I would as much as I think about sex!!

Great flick though.  I know it's cheesy, but I love the way the Elton John song resolves the tension of the band after their meltdown.  I think music can actually do that in real life if the moment is right.

ignom

VikingJuice

Mmmmm.  Yummy Kate.  I do recall that now.  Thanks.  I forgot how incredibly cute/hot she was.

Jessie

STOP TALKING ABOUT BOOBS IN MY THREAD!!!

ReBurn

You mean that little boy in that one picture?  Oh, wait.  That is a girl.

Never mind.
11:42:24 [Gamplayerx] I keep getting knocked up.
11:42:28 [Gamplayerx] Er. OUT!

VikingJuice

Gamplayerx

The elf has brown hair in this flick, right?

DownSouth

16:15:43 [Gamplayerx] Juneau, I could really go for some pie. You better Belize it!

VikingJuice

Quote from: DownSouth on October 21, 2005, 08:54:09 AM
Was Spiderman good in it?

Cool avatar.  I loved the movie and the Soundtrack.

DownSouth

16:15:43 [Gamplayerx] Juneau, I could really go for some pie. You better Belize it!

Jessie

Gamplayerx

Quote from: Jessie on October 21, 2005, 08:56:09 AM
Quote from: Gamplayerx on October 20, 2005, 09:31:20 PM

Yes.
Is he any good?  He basically had no personality as an elf.  Or as a pirate wannabe for that matter.

Alice

Quote from: Gamplayerx on October 21, 2005, 09:21:13 AM

Yes.
Is he any good?  He basically had no personality as an elf.  Or as a pirate wannabe for that matter.
He's hot, he doesn't need personality.

Jessie

Yes.

I didn't think that the movie or any of it's characters were really remarkable, except for that lady from the food network.  She seemed real, probably because she was basically playing herself.

DownSouth

Quote from: Jessie on October 21, 2005, 09:58:51 AM

Yes.

I didn't think that the movie or any of it's characters were really remarkable, except for that lady from the food network.  She seemed real, probably because she was basically playing herself.
What lady?

Jessie

Quote from: DownSouth on October 21, 2005, 09:59:59 AM

Yes.

What lady?
http://imdb.com/name/nm1508590/

ReBurn

Quote from: Jessie on October 21, 2005, 10:00:38 AM
Quote from: DownSouth on October 21, 2005, 09:59:59 AM

Yes.

What lady?
http://imdb.com/name/nm1508590/
Sometimes I watch her cooking shows.
11:42:24 [Gamplayerx] I keep getting knocked up.
11:42:28 [Gamplayerx] Er. OUT!