News:

04/07/05 1000th thread provided by Cnamon! This isn't really JuntoOnline. It's CnamonOnline!

Main Menu

Review: Charlie and the Chocolate Factory

Started by Beef, July 16, 2005, 08:15:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Beefy

Quote from: ReBurninator on July 20, 2005, 12:39:23 PM
Quote from: nishi on July 20, 2005, 09:49:47 AM
willy was very different from edward scissorhands.
Speaking of which, how did Edward Scissorhands go to the bathroom?  I'm sure that he would have cut off his willy.

Dianne Weist gave him a hand with it.

ReBurn

I just took my daughter and three of her friends to see this movie for her birthday.  I enjoyed it, though the music was a bit difficult to understand.
11:42:24 [Gamplayerx] I keep getting knocked up.
11:42:28 [Gamplayerx] Er. OUT!

cnamon

I finally saw this.  I thought it was good.  And even looking creepy, Johnny Depp looked cute.

DownSouth

I finally saw it the other day.  It was alright.
16:15:43 [Gamplayerx] Juneau, I could really go for some pie. You better Belize it!

dazie

Ursus bought this for Kate a few weeks ago, and I resisted watching it, as the first one creeps me right the fuck out.  I really REALLY dislike it.  However, when you have a Johnny Depp-obsessed 9 yr old in the house, you tend to end up watching this movie.

That said- I really like this one.  It seems to be more "approachable"- creepy and fun, more like the book (which also is creepy and fun) instead of JUST creepy.

I agree though, that the kids aren't a big focus, which is kind of weird, because if the kids aren't the focus, what is??  I mean, yeah, Wonka has his moments, but it isn't the WHOLE movie.

I love the Oompa Loompa songs.  Danny Elfman is such a talent, and it's neat that we know some of the soundtrack players.  The kids and I have actually been doing the dances that they teach you on the DVD extras, and that's a hoot.

Now the whole family is doing WW quotes.  "You're really weird" and "MUMBLER!" which cracks me up every time.
"Pinky, are you pondering what I'm pondering?"
I think so, Brain, but how will we get the Spice Girls into the paella?

Gamplayerx

I couldn't hear the Ooompa Loompa songs very well.  Are they more distinct on the DVD?

dazie

It took a few times to get the words over the music, but honestly, I wasn't really paying attention to the words because the music is so cool.

Jessie

The first one was fun and fantastic.  I love Gene Wilder.
we should have kept the quote pyramid up to rape Jessie in the face.

dazie

Ursus and the kids are watching that one now.  *shudder*

I think I'm going to go take a bath.

ReBurn

Those little Oompa Loompas are kinda weird. Why am I watching this?

swolt

Quote from: ReBurn on May 22, 2007, 10:13:45 PM

cutting yourself was too emo?
A clever man commits no minor blunders.

ReBurn

Quote from: swolt on May 22, 2007, 10:17:42 PM
Quote from: ReBurn on May 22, 2007, 10:13:45 PM

cutting yourself was too emo?
I already did that when Heroes ended. I went across the street, though. Because I really just wanted sympathy.

swolt

I cut myself once, a long cut starting near my toe and ending on my heel. The glass was so sharp I didn't even feel it, I didn't know I had been cut until I moved and slipped in my blood. I cried for mom and she came in the kitchen, saw the blood, and passed out. I don't know what she was trying to accomplish but it wasn't very helpful, because that left my dad to take care of me, and his idea was to duc tape my foot until we got to the hospital.

I wish I was making that up.

Did I ever tell you guys about the time I had busted my chin and had to get stitches? My dad took me to an animal hospital because he was friends with the vet.

Again, I wish I was making that up.

Gamplayerx

It's weird that all the oompa loompas are the same weird little guy.  Also, I had no idea you could do first aid with duct tape.  Also, my high school boyfriend's nickname was Duck.  I didn't call him that, though.  Now, I call him psycho.  But that's another story and, thankfully, doesn't involve duct tape.

swolt

duct tape can fix almost anything.

except the gapping hole jessie left in my heart when she signed off to go to bed. that will remain broken forever.

ReBurn

When I was young I quite often used duct tape to close wounds. I learned that from my uncle. And like swolt, I wish I were making that up.

Chewing, chewing all day long! This music rocks!

swolt

I broke a finger once (well Jared broke it actually, it just happened to be my finger that he broke) and mom made a splint out of popsicle sticks and and medical tape, but the medical tape kept coming loose so dad fixed it with duct tape. I'll have to ask mom for it, but there is a picture somewhere of me and that splint.

ReBurn

Don't touch that squirrel's nuts! It'll make him crazy!

dazie

Swolt's parents must have had 9 kids so when they killed him there would be replacements.

Jessie

Quote from: dazie on May 23, 2007, 08:36:05 AM
Swolt's parents must have had 9 kids so when they killed him there would be replacements.
Zing!

Alice

My "boyfriend" has the nickname Ducky.

But I don't know why.  I don't think it's cuz of duct tape though, either.

Jessie

I rode the bus to middle school with a guy nicknamed Duck.

He died.

The end.

Alice

Quote from: Jessie on May 23, 2007, 08:46:12 AM
I rode the bus to middle school with a guy nicknamed Duck.

He died.

The end.
My mom used to ride the bus to school with this kid named George who had downs.  The kids on the bus started teasing him with the "Georgie Porgie" nursery rhyme.  I never learned that one til I was about 16, because my mom hated it so much since it brought back those memories of the kids being so mean so she never read it to us even though it was in a bunch of our books.

Gamplayerx

Damn, this thread sure took a downward turn.

swolt

Quote from: dazie on May 23, 2007, 08:36:05 AM

and don't think my dad hasn't used that as a threat.

when I was about 10 my sister told me we had an older brother named Steve and dad had killed him because he was bad, and if I wasn't good she would tell dad to kill me. I believed it for like a year.

I was pretty stupid growing up. I believed anything my sister told me.