News:

Two rules to success in life: 1. Don't tell people everything you know.

Main Menu

Pirates 3

Started by dazie, May 25, 2007, 12:35:39 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

dazie

I liked it.  It was good.

arrr- there be spoilers...

WTF.  One of the most convoluted confusing wtf movies I've seen in a long time.  OK- Jack wants the heart, Will wants the heart, Beckett wants the heart...  Elizabeth loves Jack, Elizabeth doesn't love Jack but loves Will, so what was up with the damn compass?  Tia Dolma loves Davey Jones, but he betrayed her for what reason?  And when she gets huge- wtf is she saying?  Did she create the maelstrom?  And how come, if Gov. Swann stabbed the heart, isn't he captain of the Flying Dutchman?  Why did the kid at the beginning have braces on his teeth?  What was up with that song at the beginning?  WHAT IS THE SIGNIFICANCE OF THE SONG?  Why did they shoot Jack the Monkey out of the cannon?  What happened to Jack's teeth?

Very much dug Keith Richards. 

I probably would have had a better time of suspension of disbelief if the projector hadn't stopped.  Twice.  For like 15 minutes.  It was embarrassing and awkward.  My poor boss had to rewind the movie by hand.  Not an easy task.  THEN give out comp tickets to a sold out house.  VERY BAD.  Lots of money down the tubes.
"Pinky, are you pondering what I'm pondering?"
I think so, Brain, but how will we get the Spice Girls into the paella?

swolt

I would say this movie tops Battlefield Earth as the worst movie I've ever seen. I hated it. I was bored the whole time. I think I laughed twice. The story was so twisted I gave up trying to follow it half-way through. The audience booed at the end.

Both of my sisters hated it too.
A clever man commits no minor blunders.

dazie

I'm glad I wasn't the only confused one.  Kate actually spotted one of the plot holes I mentioned in the spoilers.

They left the door open for a 4th, but I hope they don't do it.

They caught lightning in a bottle the first time, but haven't been able to recreate it.

I wouldn't say though, that it was the worst movie I've seen.  I did see Showgirls...

Beefy

I'M A DANCER!!!

Don't knock Showgirls.  Being misunderstood is not the same as being bad.

dazie

Do you have a Versayce dress?

dazie

OK- after sleeping on it for far too short a time:

1.  Yes- liked Keith Richards, but he was woefully underused.  As was Chow Yun Fat.  IF you're going to have an actor of CYF's stature, for God's sake- USE HIM.  Holy smokes people.  If he's just going to be "Chinese Warlord #1" then get someone else.

2.  Kiera Knightly runs the gamut of her acting abilities- A to B.  She's pretty and athletic, but not the deepest actress I've ever seen.  "Narrow eyes, jut jaw, get hoity toity.  Check"

3.  If you're going to gather the "Pirate Lords" from around the world, perhaps having them, oh, I don't know, be PIRATES would be nice. 

All in all, disappointing.  Parts were very funny, the acting was fine with the few noted exceptions, but I'm fairly disappointed on the whole.

Jessie

I kind of expect it to suck, so I should be pleasantly surprised.
we should have kept the quote pyramid up to rape Jessie in the face.

swolt

Quote from: Jessie on May 25, 2007, 08:31:31 AM

I expected it to suck, but not like this. The only times I really laughed were during the mexican stand off and the monkey pulled a gun on the parrot and when the midget shot the big gun and went flying back.

All of the other jokes were repeats from the first movie. At one point Jack randomly says "Parlay!" but he wasn't being captured. WTF? It's like the writers said "Hey that was a funny joke in the first movie, let's throw it in somewhere!"

Also there was no explanation from the 2nd movie. They just excepted you to remember everything that had happened in that movie. I haven't seen that one since it came out so it was very confusing.

The 2nd one was ok but the fights were cool and the action was interesting enough to keep the plot moving. The action in this movie is very, very lame. There is nothing new and exciting. During the final battle I was so bored I kept hoping they would just all die.

dazie

Quote from: swolt on May 25, 2007, 08:56:10 AM

I expected it to suck, but not like this. The only times I really laughed were during the mexican stand off and the monkey pulled a gun on the parrot and when the midget shot the big gun and went flying back.

All of the other jokes were repeats from the first movie. At one point Jack randomly says "Parlay!" but he wasn't being captured. WTF? It's like the writers said "Hey that was a funny joke in the first movie, let's throw it in somewhere!"

Also there was no explanation from the 2nd movie. They just excepted you to remember everything that had happened in that movie. I haven't seen that one since it came out so it was very confusing.

The 2nd one was ok but the fights were cool and the action was interesting enough to keep the plot moving. The action in this movie is very, very lame. There is nothing new and exciting. During the final battle I was so bored I kept hoping they would just all die.

It was right at the final battle that the movie stopped.  *lol*  Definitely lost momentum.

I will say though that Beckett's demise was very well filmed. 

Did you find that there were lots of times you couldn't understand the dialog?  Or was it just the sound system in my theater?

swolt

Quote from: dazie on May 25, 2007, 09:30:05 AM
Quote from: swolt on May 25, 2007, 08:56:10 AM

It was right at the final battle that the movie stopped.  *lol*  Definitely lost momentum.

I will say though that Beckett's demise was very well filmed. 

Did you find that there were lots of times you couldn't understand the dialog?  Or was it just the sound system in my theater?

I couldn't understand half of the dialog. The accents were really bad.

And while Beckett's demise was well filmed, wtf? It didn't fit in the rest of the movie.

ReBurn

I liked the movie. It was really long. I didn't particularly like where things ended up, but I thought it moved along well enough. I laughed more than twice.

I compare this trilogy to the Matrix trilogy. The first one was exactly what a movie of the genre should be. The other two were done solely to cash in on the franchise. I honestly think they could have cut a bunch of crap out of the last two movies and made a single movie that was great. This one was really, really dark to me.  The lighthearted characters lost a lot of what made people love them.  I think that's what took most of the fun out of it. And there were so many things going on it was like Star Wars subplots on steroids.

I don't want to discourage anyone from seeing it because honestly I don't think it was a bad movie. The end of the final battle totally surprised me.
11:42:24 [Gamplayerx] I keep getting knocked up.
11:42:28 [Gamplayerx] Er. OUT!

Beefy

Seeing tomorrow at 10am.  Expecting bloated but fun.

dazie

Quote from: ReBurn on May 25, 2007, 08:35:43 PM
I don't want to discourage anyone from seeing it because honestly I don't think it was a bad movie. The end of the final battle totally surprised me.

I concur.  I believe my actual words were "Whoa!  What the hell?!"

A friend said to me today "So I should wait for the DVD?" and I said "Absolutely not!"

Definitely see this one in the theater.  There are parts that just won't be the same on the small screen.

eo000

i agree that some shit just didn't need to be in there. i mean, wtf??????

nishi

Quote from: eo000 on May 26, 2007, 12:02:52 PM

EL YAY!!
"we left the motherland to settle a colony on Juntoo.  hats with belt buckles."
-catchr

<- this is a prankapple.

Beefy

It was okay.  Diverting, had some nice moments, but not particularly involving or exciting.  Rush was the most fun for me this time, not Depp.

ReBurn

Quote from: nishi on May 26, 2007, 12:38:41 PM
Quote from: eo000 on May 26, 2007, 12:02:52 PM

EL YAY!!
Where does he find this stuff?

VikingJuice

Saw it, moved on.  Had some typical sequal issues.  Like #2, too much style, not enough substance.

dazie

Did anyone stay til the very end?

Beefy

Quote from: dazie on May 27, 2007, 09:16:26 AM

Yes, we saw it.  Wasn't worth it.

dazie

Quote from: Beefy on May 27, 2007, 09:53:23 AM

I didn't see it until I was cleaning theaters last night.  I wasn't surprised though, I figured something like taht would happen.

BTW- why couldn't she just go on the boat with Will?  It doesn't have to go under all the time...

Beefy

Quote from: dazie on May 27, 2007, 09:57:44 AM
Quote from: Beefy on May 27, 2007, 09:53:23 AM

I didn't see it until I was cleaning theaters last night.  I wasn't surprised though, I figured something like taht would happen.

BTW- why couldn't she just go on the boat with Will?  It doesn't have to go under all the time...

I think the point was to keep the heart separated from the Captain for security purposes.

ReBurn

I didn't stay until the very end.

Beefy

Quote from: ReBurn on May 27, 2007, 06:41:43 PM

You wanna know what happened after the credits?

swolt

Quote from: Beefy on May 27, 2007, 08:01:28 PM
Quote from: ReBurn on May 27, 2007, 06:41:43 PM

You wanna know what happened after the credits?

some people came and cleaned up and then later they started the movie again.