News:

3/12/05 5000th post provided by Bishamonten

Main Menu

3:10 to Yuma trailer

Started by Beefy, June 16, 2007, 10:01:29 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

VikingJuice

Kewl.  You've posted some good trailers this morning!! 

swolt

Quote from: VikingJuice on June 16, 2007, 12:47:05 PM
Kewl.  You've posted some good trailers this morning!! 

are you two gonna make out now?
A clever man commits no minor blunders.

Dry then Catch

Beefy

It's a shame it's a James Mangold film.  I won't be watching it.

Dry then Catch

Quote from: Beefy on June 18, 2007, 12:21:09 PM

explain

Beefy

Quote from: CatchrNdRy on June 18, 2007, 12:34:34 PM

explain

I won't watch James Mangold films.

Dry then Catch

Beefy

Quote from: CatchrNdRy on June 18, 2007, 01:01:20 PM
Quote from: Beefy on June 18, 2007, 12:42:52 PM
Quote from: CatchrNdRy on June 18, 2007, 12:34:34 PM

explain

I won't watch James Mangold films.

why is that?

I think this got covered in the Walk the Line thread.

Dry then Catch

what if its really good and wins an Oscar as well as Cannes

Gamplayerx

I thought Beefy was anti-Larry the cable guy.  Who's James Mangold?

Beefy

Quote from: CatchrNdRy on June 18, 2007, 06:48:39 PM

Walk the Line won Oscars and I still haven't seen it and don't want to.  You vote with your dollar.  I vote against Mangold by not giving him my dollar or time.

Dry then Catch

Quote from: Beefy on June 18, 2007, 07:13:51 PM

Walk the Line won Oscars and I still haven't seen it and don't want to.  You vote with your dollar.  I vote against Mangold by not giving him my dollar or time.
aren't you being a bit narrow minded?  how can you form an opinion on something you haven't see based soley on past experiences?  By that same token, I would surmise that every movie made by (INSERT FAVORITE DIRECTOR HERE) is amazing, but by in large everyone is  mixed bag. 

Beefy

Quote from: CatchrNdRy on June 18, 2007, 07:25:59 PM
Quote from: Beefy on June 18, 2007, 07:13:51 PM

aren't you being a bit narrow minded?  how can you form an opinion on something you haven't see based soley on past experiences?  By that same token, I would surmise that every movie made by (INSERT FAVORITE DIRECTOR HERE) is amazing, but by in large everyone is  mixed bag. 

Why would you want to keep giving someone your money when each time you've given them your money previously has left you irritated and unfulfilled?  Should you go off and pay to see every film Uwe Boll makes because each one *could* be better than the last?

I'm not saying everyone else has to dislike the man's work.  Clearly Walk the Line was quite popular, and I bet Reese and Joaquin were quite good in it.  Nevertheless, I choose not to watch it.  I'm not demanding anyone share my opinion.

Gamplayerx

VikingJuice

I fell in love with Reese's character and was really impressed that she sang and played her own instruments in the performance.  I didn't know you disliked the director so much.  What films has he done that you've just hated?

Beefy

It's not hatred, it's merely dislike.  I don't know if there's anyone on the planet I actually hate right now.  I mean, I'm sure someone qualifies.  But whatever.

Mangold is a master of surrounding himself with a bunch of amazing talent and then doing absolutely nothing of interest with it.  At best, in my experience, his film's are the very definition of mediocrity when they ought to sore.  Look at the talent involved in Copland or Identity.  Copland was merely okay, Identity was a bag of ass.  Both should have been fantastic and I finished both feeling like I just witnessed a huge missed opportunity.  It's a feeling of frustration.  With some films, like Spielberg's Munich, I don't mind the frustration because the film aimed high and had layers of success.  Mangold doesn't even bother to aim high.  He doesn't bring anything to his projects other than an aspiration to be average. 

3:10 to Yuma has a lot going for it, not the least of which is the first role in a while for Crowe worth getting excited about.  But I won't let myself get excited and I won't go see it because I have no desire to see all that potential wasted on another average film that doesn't know how to utilize its assets or tell a compelling story.

Beefy

Also, bear in mind that 3:10 shot a while ago, perhaps over a year, and yet no one saw or heard anything until recently.  That's usually a good sign that the studios had issues with what they saw.  Not that studios are the great deciders of what a great movie is, but shelving something or keeping it quiet for that long is not a good sign in general.  I'm sure it's been retooled.  But maybe not.  Maybe Mangold took his time with the editing and has knocked one out of the park this time.  I concede it's possible.

But then, I know people who LOVED Identity, and I think they're absolutely loony.

VikingJuice

Quote from: Beefy on June 19, 2007, 01:21:30 PM
Also, bear in mind that 3:10 shot a while ago, perhaps over a year, and yet no one saw or heard anything until recently.  That's usually a good sign that the studios had issues with what they saw.  Not that studios are the great deciders of what a great movie is, but shelving something or keeping it quiet for that long is not a good sign in general.  I'm sure it's been retooled.  But maybe not.  Maybe Mangold took his time with the editing and has knocked one out of the park this time.  I concede it's possible.

But then, I know people who LOVED Identity, and I think they're absolutely loony.

I agree with you on Identity and Copland.  Both were LOADED with talent but the actual films were lukewarm.  Identity especially disappointed me because I was so intrigued by the premise.

Jessie

I didn't love Identity, but I liked it ok.
we should have kept the quote pyramid up to rape Jessie in the face.

Dry then Catch

Past behavior is not indicative of future performance

You are closing your mind even if there is a supposed preponderance of evidence to the contrary.    Your assertion that "he doesn't do all he can" is a difficult one to prove.  A lot of directors could be accused of that, many of them with more crap than gold, but nonetheless still containing gold.  I'm just surprised you are so adamant in to judge that which you haven't seen.  You'd think this Mangold guy raped your grandma

Gamplayerx

Dry then Catch

ok ill stop.  i just find it unusual that such a open minded fellow like Beefy, would have such a beef

Beefy

Quote from: CatchrNdRy on June 19, 2007, 08:09:34 PM
Past behavior is not indicative of future performance

You are closing your mind even if there is a supposed preponderance of evidence to the contrary.    Your assertion that "he doesn't do all he can" is a difficult one to prove.  A lot of directors could be accused of that, many of them with more crap than gold, but nonetheless still containing gold.  I'm just surprised you are so adamant in to judge that which you haven't seen.  You'd think this Mangold guy raped your grandma

Again, then, based on your stance, we should all continue to shell out our money on artists whom we've been repeatedly disappointed with time and again simply because they just might improve at some point in the future. 

I say you're wasting your money, but then it's yours to waste.

Jessie

Christian Bale and Russell Crowe TOGETHER?  I will be seeing this in the theater with Carroll.  Unless he can't wait til we can see it together if he's not home yet.  He loves them both so much.
we should have kept the quote pyramid up to rape Jessie in the face.

dazie

This interests me- amazing cast list...
"Pinky, are you pondering what I'm pondering?"
I think so, Brain, but how will we get the Spice Girls into the paella?