News:

ever clean urine and wet dreams out of a t-rex's mouth

Main Menu

30 Days of Night

Started by Beefy, June 07, 2007, 10:15:06 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Beefy

It was prime to be made as a movie, to be sure.  But the whole graphic novel adaptation poster art thing is going to get out of control, I can tell.  Still, more visually interesting than most movie posters.

[attachment deleted by admin]

Beefy

Also, be sure, to use plen, ty of comma,s today.

Gamplayerx

Beefy

Quote from: Gamplayerx on June 07, 2007, 10:18:04 AM
Is it about vampires?

Yes, it is set in Barrow, Alaska, where every year the sun goes down and stays down for 30 days.

Gamplayerx

Beefy

Quote from: Gamplayerx on June 07, 2007, 10:20:11 AM
Is it funny?

The book wasn't.  It played out as straight horror/suspense.

Barrow is out in the middle of nowhere.  There's nowhere to run to.  No hope of sun.  And the vampires realize there's a 30 day buffet up there waiting for them.

Gamplayerx

That little girl needs orthodontry - quick!

Jessie

That sounds really creepy.
we should have kept the quote pyramid up to rape Jessie in the face.

Alice

Dry then Catch

this looks so cool, but I have my normal reservations about "startle and gore" vs. "psychological terror and sparingly applied brutal violence"

VikingJuice

As long as they don't scratch on my windows, i'm interested.

Beefy

Quote from: Beefy on June 09, 2007, 09:07:33 AM
Teaser is up:

http://media.movies.ign.com/media/486/486900/vids_1.html

Oh MY GOD it looks like they nailed it!  It even looks like Templesmith's artwork in a way.

Alice

pumpkineye

arrrghhh I'm so excited about this movie!  My brother kept telling me to read the comics, and I did, and it was good.

dazie

We have that poster now at work.  If I can get it, I'll send it to you Beefy.
"Pinky, are you pondering what I'm pondering?"
I think so, Brain, but how will we get the Spice Girls into the paella?

Beefy

Quote from: dazie on June 11, 2007, 01:51:54 PM
We have that poster now at work.  If I can get it, I'll send it to you Beefy.

Oh man, awesome.  Thanks!  I would return the favor in kind of NASA swag.

dazie

No guarantees- I work with some pretty hardcore comic geeks.  But I'll do what I can!

Alice

Have any Transformers posters?  I don't know what I could send you in return - but I'd find something.

dazie

We do- both the good guys and the bad guys.  I'll see what I can do there too.  :)

We have a BITCHIN Silver Surfer display- full sized model of him on his board.  Very cool.  We don't get to keep it though.

Alice

Good guys would be great. :)

VikingJuice

Quote from: dazie on June 11, 2007, 02:17:55 PM
We do- both the good guys and the bad guys.  I'll see what I can do there too.  :)

We have a BITCHIN Silver Surfer display- full sized model of him on his board.  Very cool.  We don't get to keep it though.

Oh oh!!!  Me me!!  I would love a transformer poster, either side, if you had an extra laying around that isn't already spoken for.  I haven't collected movie posters since the mid 90's but I have a decent sized collection.  I'd even be willing to trade something if you were interested.  Or I could just send some money for the efforts.

BigDun

16:26:25 [DownSouth] I'm in a monkey rutt

VikingJuice

Those are some very cool poster designs.  I'm currently watching a couple Ebay auctions now.  Sweeeeeeeeeeet!!

VikingJuice

Pretty good movie.  Not a lot of major problems.  Saw Beef jump out of his seat once late in the film.  That was very entertaining.

Beefy

Much like Zombie's Halloween, it isn't that you don't know the attack is coming, but it's the ferocity of the attack that startles.

They did a fantastic job of paying homage to Ben Templesmith's artwork in the original series.

Dry then Catch

how is it in regards to:

startle vs. building tension

cliched vs. unique?

dark for the sake of being dark vs. genuine atmosphere? 

Beefy

Quote from: CatchrNdRy on November 06, 2007, 05:46:36 PM
how is it in regards to:

cliched vs. unique?

There is a sense of tension built, though it isn't oppressive.

It straddles the line between cliche and unique, but it certainly is a drastically needed reboot to cinematic vampires.

It is dark.  There is ZERO comic relief.  The setting and narrative conceit alone bring atmosphere, but I would say the atmosphere is almost one of futility.  Dread. 

You could liken it to Predator, except there's no 80's cheese and far more than one beast and victim.

It is very, very bloody.  Plenty of action once things get moving.

VikingJuice

Quote from: Beefy on November 06, 2007, 06:05:30 PM
Quote from: CatchrNdRy on November 06, 2007, 05:46:36 PM
how is it in regards to:

cliched vs. unique?

There is a sense of tension built, though it isn't oppressive.

It straddles the line between cliche and unique, but it certainly is a drastically needed reboot to cinematic vampires.

It is dark.  There is ZERO comic relief.  The setting and narrative conceit alone bring atmosphere, but I would say the atmosphere is almost one of futility.  Dread. 

You could liken it to Predator, except there's no 80's cheese and far more than one beast and victim.

It is very, very bloody.  Plenty of action once things get moving.

VERY BLOODY!!!  The stuff was everywhere!!

Dry then Catch

Hey Beefy have you ever read the Onion's Movie review section (non-satirical)?  There is a section called "My Year of Flops" you might enjoy.  www.theavclub.com