News:

11/9/05: Bennyhana hits the 100,000th post. Way to go, Benny! Your real doll should arrive shortly.

Main Menu

The new Doctor Who

Started by Beefy, March 18, 2006, 09:30:08 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Beefy

Sci-Fi channel premiered the first two episodes of the first season last night.  It was pretty good.  I like how Christopher Eccleston plays the doctor a little off, enjoying things most when they are at their worst.  Still, the show was more flippant and light hearted than I was expecting, which is quite a change of pace for someone who has been slowly but surely making his way through BSG.  Each episode also felt kind of short, like it needed to be filled out a bit more.

Anyone else watch?  Can anyone suggest whether it is worth it to continue to watch?

Gamplayerx

What is BSG?

I never saw the original Doctor Who, and haven't seen the new one, so I'm not much help.

Beefy

Quote from: Gamplayerx on March 18, 2006, 09:47:23 AM
What is BSG?

I never saw the original Doctor Who, and haven't seen the new one, so I'm not much help.

BSG = Battlestar Galactica

I remember watching the original Doctor Whos with Tom Baker on PBS when I was growing up.  I could be remembering wrong, but I thought they were 90 minutes in length.

ReBurn

I didn't know about it.  I wonder if they'll do a repeat?
11:42:24 [Gamplayerx] I keep getting knocked up.
11:42:28 [Gamplayerx] Er. OUT!

Beefy

Quote from: ReBurn on March 18, 2006, 10:23:01 AM

Late tomorrow night they're running them back-to-back again.

ReBurn

Quote from: Beefy on March 18, 2006, 10:38:18 AM
Quote from: ReBurn on March 18, 2006, 10:23:01 AM

Late tomorrow night they're running them back-to-back again.
Cool, thanks!

nishi

Quote from: Beefy on March 18, 2006, 10:20:41 AM
What is BSG?

I remember watching the original Doctor Whos with Tom Baker on PBS when I was growing up.  I could be remembering wrong, but I thought they were 90 minutes in length.

i'm pretty sure they were shorter than that. no more than an hour.

i never watched much beyond tom baker's dr. who, but i must have missed something important - did they ever veer away from flippant and lighthearted?
"we left the motherland to settle a colony on Juntoo.  hats with belt buckles."
-catchr

<- this is a prankapple.

Beefy

Quote from: nishi on March 18, 2006, 05:13:10 PM
Quote from: Beefy on March 18, 2006, 10:20:41 AM
What is BSG?

i'm pretty sure they were shorter than that. no more than an hour.

i never watched much beyond tom baker's dr. who, but i must have missed something important - did they ever veer away from flippant and lighthearted?

I can't say for sure.  I remember a lightness, but I also remember some grit.  I was pretty young, though, so I don't trust my feelings.  That's why I asked.  I thought, based off the still imagery I had seen, that this version was taking a darker direction.  I was incorrect.

ReBurn

I really want to like this show, but I don't speak cockney...I can only understand every seventh or eight word.

I wish these people would just speak American.

Listener

Quote from: ReBurn on March 23, 2006, 11:06:11 PM
I really want to like this show, but I don't speak cockney...I can only understand every seventh or eight word.

I wish these people would just speak American.

They have to strike a balance between people who will watch it anew and also making sure the fans of the original don't abhor the new program.  They pulled it off with Battlestar Galactica.  I'm not watching The New Who, so I can't comment on how good it is or isn't.

If you watch long enough your ear will start picking up the words more readily.

Jessie

I watched a few minutes of this the other night.  It was something about being in 1896 and ghosts taking over bodies.  It was dumb.
we should have kept the quote pyramid up to rape Jessie in the face.

ReBurn

What I saw that was pretty cool was an episode of Time Tunnel on Encore Action.  I may have to pick up the box set.

Bishamonten

It's worth sticking with.  There are some seriously dark bits, creepy things, and Eccelston is a "fantastic" doctor.  He plays the Doc with a lot of excitement and glee in his work.  He also has that dark turn you would expect when he's the last of his species.  As a big fan of Dr Who( I'm not even going to go into the "original Dr Who with Tom Baker..." comment! )  I've really enjoyed it.  I've seen the entire season with Eccelston( I *heart* the internet ) and there are some great things to look forward to. 

"Mommy?  Mommy?"

"ELIMINATE!!!"

"Do you know what they used to call me in the Dalek Wars?  They called me the 'Oncoming Storm!'"

Stick with it.

Oh, and the originals were 30 minut serials on the BBC, if I recall correctly.  A lot of American stations took the episodes and cut them into 2 hour movies and showed them late at night( check your local listings, I bet they're still on ).

Seriously, stick with it. 

ReBurn

Perhaps I'll stick with it.

Beefy

Quote from: Bishamonten on March 28, 2006, 10:20:29 AM
Oh, and the originals were 30 minut serials on the BBC, if I recall correctly.  A lot of American stations took the episodes and cut them into 2 hour movies and showed them late at night( check your local listings, I bet they're still on ).

VALIDATION!

Listener

Quote from: Bishamonten on March 28, 2006, 10:20:29 AM

Seriously, stick with it. 

The individual episodes used to air on Channel 2 (PBS) in south Florida, right after Sesame Street.  The opening (with the TARDIS) used to scare the crap out of me.