News:

BE ALERT!! The world needs more lerts.

Main Menu

American Dreamz

Started by Listener, March 14, 2006, 07:34:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Listener

http://imdb.com/title/tt0465142/

If Weitz truly can recapture the magic of the first American Pie, this will be an excellent film to sit through.

pumpkineye

sounds like it could be fun.

ReBurn

If he tries to recapture the magic, then it'll never happen.  It'll be that movie that's like the first American Pie.
11:42:24 [Gamplayerx] I keep getting knocked up.
11:42:28 [Gamplayerx] Er. OUT!

Beefy

It looks like it could be cute.  Quaid looks fun, but casting DeFoe as Cheney seems more than a bit odd to me.

Listener

I saw a preview/featurette on this today while waiting for V to start.  It looks more like a straight-up satire of American Idol and less a satire of "A-Idol Culture", but I'll still go see it.

Gamplayerx

Hugh Grant does a pretty good Simon.  At least in the commercials.

Listener

I saw a spot yesterday about how there's a political angle, where they use ADz to get people to vote for the next president.

That might not be a half-bad idea, if they could work out the logistics... or at least require everyone who votes for AI to be a registered voter.  At the very least the voter rolls would swell massively.

Like my wang.

(I had to say it before someone else did.)

Listener

It was pretty good.  I mostly liked it.

It was very satirical.  The commercials don't show the level of political satire (some of it more than a tad heavy-handed than necessary) that the film imparts.  There's a very strong implied connection between Dennis Quaid/Willem DaFoe and GWB/Karl Rove.  But Hugh Grant and Mandy Moore play off each other very well, and you really feel for Omer (the Arabic main character).

SockmonkeyHolocaust

what's that I smell in the air
the American dream
sweet as a new millionaire
the American dream
pre-packed, ready-to-wear
the American dream
fat, like a chocolate eclair
as you suck out the cream