News:

20,000th post winners: ReBurninator and Dazie. Enjoy your diseases!

Main Menu

Where were we talking about the Derby, anyway?

Started by Jessie, May 05, 2008, 11:40:04 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jessie

http://www.breitbart.com/article.php?id=D90F41J00&show_article=1

I just don't know how to feel about this.  After seeing that horse break his leg on Friday, I'm really saddened by horse racing in general.  The horses generally seem to love it, though.  When they're leading them to the gate, they WANT to run. 

I sure don't think it was the jockey's fault though, and it sounds like PETA just wants to get in the news by saying something ridiculous.
we should have kept the quote pyramid up to rape Jessie in the face.

dots

There is no way in hell that it was the jockey's fault.  The connection between horse and rider is strong and there is no way that the horse could have come in second (or raced for that matter) if it were injured that badly.  It was a freak occurrence that is terribly sad. 
You're an asshole and I hate you.

Alice

Yeah, it was a random occurrence.  They take good care of the horses - the problem is that we've yet to find a way to heal a horse with broken legs. 

Beefy

Dry then Catch

grace

Quote from: Jessie on May 05, 2008, 11:40:04 AM
http://www.breitbart.com/article.php?id=D90F41J00&show_article=1

I just don't know how to feel about this.  After seeing that horse break his leg on Friday, I'm really saddened by horse racing in general.  The horses generally seem to love it, though.  When they're leading them to the gate, they WANT to run. 

I sure don't think it was the jockey's fault though, and it sounds like PETA just wants to get in the news by saying something ridiculous.

i couldn't look at the link...whatever it is, i don't want to see it.
horses like to run, in the wild.  horseracing is their only release, of course they have a bond with any handler, they are their avenue for release.
i know, i'm an animal-loving asshole. that's why i own 2 great danes and work to feed them.
their lives as AKC champs, consisted of living in a crate they can not physically turn around in and living that for the sake of our viewing pleasure or gambling pleasure...whatever.
i think it sucks.

ReBurn

11:42:24 [Gamplayerx] I keep getting knocked up.
11:42:28 [Gamplayerx] Er. OUT!

manosax

I heard them talking about this on NPR and they commented that the horses are bred too much for speed and not enough stamina.  They also commented that the horses are way too young for this type of race.  In england, two year olds are too young.  Thier growth plates aren't closed yet and they are pushed too much. 

Alice

dog racing != horse racing

They're insanely different sports and the animals are treated much differently.

Dry then Catch

Quote from: Alice on May 06, 2008, 07:55:21 AM
dog racing != horse racing

They're insanely different sports and the animals are treated much differently.

Dog racing is awesome. You can pet rescue greyhounds when you are bored. its also fun to go down to the track and try to race the dogs when they get at your stretch.  They are really fast!