News:

Two rules to success in life: 1. Don't tell people everything you know.

Main Menu

Cicadas

Started by Alice, May 08, 2007, 10:28:22 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Alice

The cicadas are coming.  I just so happen to live by an arboretum now... this is going to be interesting. 

Bruce is going to love it though.

Dry then Catch

will he eat them?  One thing I don't miss about back East is the incessant buzzing and the mushy goo of smashed dead cicadas.  And they are fucking gross when alive.  I prefer scorpions

nishi

you need a cicada suit for the pug.
"we left the motherland to settle a colony on Juntoo.  hats with belt buckles."
-catchr

<- this is a prankapple.

Gamplayerx

We don't get them every year.  But man does it suck when the 17 year and the 13 year cicadas hit at the same time - like in 2004.  Man, that was a lot of cicadas.  *shudder*

Alice

Quote from: Gamplayerx on May 08, 2007, 05:43:59 PM
We don't get them every year.  But man does it suck when the 17 year and the 13 year cicadas hit at the same time - like in 2004.  Man, that was a lot of cicadas.  *shudder*
Our 17 year cicadas are coming this month.

Gamplayerx

Quote from: Alice on May 09, 2007, 08:25:50 AM
Quote from: Gamplayerx on May 08, 2007, 05:43:59 PM
Our 17 year cicadas are coming this month.
Have fun!

Dry then Catch

How do you pronounce it?  I learned to pronounce it like JON SECADA

Beefy

Quote from: CatchrNdRy on May 09, 2007, 03:43:44 PM
How do you pronounce it?  I learned to pronounce it like JON SECADA

I am grateful I can't remember that dude's songs right now.

Alice

Blech. We have a wind advisory today - and it is effing windy out. Which would be fine except for the fact that the cicadas are out. They are blowing *everywhere*. Scooting across the ground, flying kamikaze through the air, right past your ear with that high pitched hum, taking last minute turns into my glasses. *shudder* I know they don't hurt anything and they don't bite - but Christ, big fat black bugs with bulgy eyes flying hard at you and buzzing as they smack you on the cheek are pretty friggin creepy.

Gamplayerx

Bennyhana

I still have yet to see any in the city, in Forrest Park, or even in Wheaton.  Though I haven't been in wheaton since last weekend.

Dry then Catch

Quote from: Alice on June 07, 2007, 10:05:27 AM
Blech. We have a wind advisory today - and it is effing windy out. Which would be fine except for the fact that the cicadas are out. They are blowing *everywhere*. Scooting across the ground, flying kamikaze through the air, right past your ear with that high pitched hum, taking last minute turns into my glasses. *shudder* I know they don't hurt anything and they don't bite - but Christ, big fat black bugs with bulgy eyes flying hard at you and buzzing as they smack you on the cheek are pretty friggin creepy.

this is pretty much the life of a pug owner

dazie

OMG that nearly made me spit out my drink.  *LOL*   :pug:
"Pinky, are you pondering what I'm pondering?"
I think so, Brain, but how will we get the Spice Girls into the paella?

Jessie

OMG Catchr!

Last weekend Carroll and I went to The World's Greatest Flea Market (you know the one).  Of course they had puppies galore there, and it made me totally sad, as usual.  There was this one booth where they had two pug puppies.  One was ~2 months old and looked it; round, fat, adorable.  In another cage there was this tiny wobbly little pug.  He looked to be about 4 weeks old.  They called him Bruno, and said he wasn't for sale.

Then, and I can't verify the truth in this, they said he was the littermate of the fat guy in the other cage.  He was so wobbly and teeny tiny and his eyes were all wobbly.  I fell in love with him.  Anyway, they said he weighed (IIRC) 1/2 an ounce or some ridiculously small number, when he was born, and that his mother would push the other pups away to make sure he could nurse.

The whole story was bizarre, but for some reason believable. 

The end.
we should have kept the quote pyramid up to rape Jessie in the face.

Dry then Catch

Quote from: Jessie on June 07, 2007, 12:41:24 PM
OMG Catchr!

Last weekend Carroll and I went to The World's Greatest Flea Market (you know the one).  Of course they had puppies galore there, and it made me totally sad, as usual.  There was this one booth where they had two pug puppies.  One was ~2 months old and looked it; round, fat, adorable.  In another cage there was this tiny wobbly little pug.  He looked to be about 4 weeks old.  They called him Bruno, and said he wasn't for sale.

Then, and I can't verify the truth in this, they said he was the littermate of the fat guy in the other cage.  He was so wobbly and teeny tiny and his eyes were all wobbly.  I fell in love with him.  Anyway, they said he weighed (IIRC) 1/2 an ounce or some ridiculously small number, when he was born, and that his mother would push the other pups away to make sure he could nurse.

The whole story was bizarre, but for some reason believable. 

The end.

there were like 5 million pugs and a bunch of other dogs last time too, nestled on the outskirts in a shantytown of that big red wonderland if I recall.  The World's Greatest Puppy Mill :(  did you and carroll get any confederate switchblades at a good deal? 

http://www.theonion.com/content/news/dog_breeders_issue_massive_recall

Jessie

We didn't venture outside this time, where we saw the pugs last time.

THey've set up like 10 pet stores on the inside now, full of lethargic and poorly fed animals of many breeds and species.

I want to rescue them all, but I know that just encourages the sellers.  What a conundrum.  Is that spelled right?

Beefy

Quote from: CatchrNdRy on June 07, 2007, 01:28:26 PM
did you and carroll get any confederate switchblades at a good deal? 

That is the funniest f*cking thing I've read all day.

Jessie

Quote from: Beefy on June 07, 2007, 03:26:32 PM

Funny cause it's true?

You must come visit and experience the flea market.  It is reallllly special.

And since Carroll has set a precedent, you now have to buy me a diet coke and an ice cream cone while we're there.

Dry then Catch

Quote from: Jessie on June 07, 2007, 04:12:34 PM

Funny cause it's true?

And since Carroll has set a precedent, you now have to buy me a diet coke and an ice cream cone while we're there.

i think regionally in the west they are called "swap meets".  I am thinking of going to one a few miles away, but I have no idea what to look for.  Perhaps a switchblade with the mexican flag on it.  but I could just drive another 40 minutes and go to mexico for one. 

is that all you bought was a coke and an ice cream?  did you at least make a float

Beefy

Quote from: Jessie on June 07, 2007, 04:12:34 PM

Funny cause it's true?

If I start dating you, it's a precedent.  Until then, you're just a lousy mooch.

Jessie

That is, indeed, all we bought.

And damn it Beefy, I guess that means you're not gonna hold my hand while we walk around, either.

Bennyhana

Quote from: Jessie on June 07, 2007, 04:55:10 PM
That is, indeed, all we bought.

And damn it Beefy, I guess that means you're not gonna hold my hand while we walk around, either.

Not with his hand.

Jessie

We have 17 year Cicadas here now.  It's weird because you can walk trails and they're full of holes that they've come out of.  I had no idea how their life cycle worked.  It's really fascinating.

I hope this picture shows up, because I think it's really kind of cool.

Dry then Catch

Quote from: Jessie on June 17, 2008, 02:15:03 PM
We have 17 year Cicadas here now.  It's weird because you can walk trails and they're full of holes that they've come out of.  I had no idea how their life cycle worked.  It's really fascinating.

I hope this picture shows up, because I think it's really kind of cool.

this is mesmerizing and some sort of life metaphor