News:

11/9/05: Bennyhana hits the 100,000th post. Way to go, Benny! Your real doll should arrive shortly.

Main Menu

need Ipod help

Started by Miss Molly, February 19, 2006, 09:12:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Miss Molly

So I'm pretty dumb when it comes to technology.  I'd mostly be interested in an ipod that I can use in my car.  Can you get them with car kits or some such?  What is required for this? 

I'm thinking of splurging with my tax refund. 

Explain for me cause I'm dumb.

Also, what are the benefits over buying some other (non apple) mp3 player?

ReBurn

A buddy of mine has a kit in his truck that hooks directly into his stereo.  He plugs a cable into the ipod and he's good for music in the car.

For me, I prefer a standard MP3 player.  I can download music from more places.
11:42:24 [Gamplayerx] I keep getting knocked up.
11:42:28 [Gamplayerx] Er. OUT!

Gamplayerx

I have a shuffle.  They're cheap (mine was free).  I like my XM 2Go better.

BigDun

My car has an Aux port in the dashboard that lets me plug in my IPod and play it though the car's speakers.

My wife has a little FM transmitter she plugs into the top of her IPod and then tunes the radio to the station it transmits on but the quality isn't as good.

You can also get a cassette interface that will allow you to plug your ipod into a cassette looking device and then "play" the cassette. That method works well.

I love my IPod because you can get all sorts of personalized Skins for them:

http://www.decalgirl.com/browse.cfm/2,196.htm

Mine currently looks like this:

http://www.decalgirl.com/browse.cfm/4,2626.htm

I also like ITunes and loading stuff up from Audible.com. Audible only works with some brands of mp3 players so if you want to listen to books on mp3, you should check what they are compatible with.
16:26:25 [DownSouth] I'm in a monkey rutt

ReBurn

Quote from: BigDun on February 20, 2006, 10:06:02 AM
I also like ITunes and loading stuff up from Audible.com. Audible only works with some brands of mp3 players so if you want to listen to books on mp3, you should check what they are compatible with.
That's a good point.  If you buy a regular MP3 player make sure it has the "Plays for Sure" symbol on it.  And I would recommend staying away from Sony.  They have a proprietary music format that makes their players even more incompatible than most others.
11:42:24 [Gamplayerx] I keep getting knocked up.
11:42:28 [Gamplayerx] Er. OUT!

swolt

My boss had ordered this really kickass car MP3 player kit for himself and he got some for our stock as well. It's basicly a 10 gig Hard Drive with built in wireless. You can pull up in your driveway and download music to your car. It's only for your car so you can't take it everywhere, but it is really cool.
My boss loves his, but it isn't something we normally carry so we've had two in stock for quite some time. I've been thinking about marking the price below cost and buying one myself.

If you are interseted let me know and I'll hold one for you to come look at. Once I mark it down I'm sure it will sell quick.
A clever man commits no minor blunders.

Miss Molly

swolt

Quote from: Miss Molly on February 20, 2006, 03:35:02 PM
how much is it now?

the retail price is $299. I want to drop it to $150 but I have to clear that with Anna and Angelo (anything sold below cost must be approved by all three of us.)

And it's a 20 gig drive, not a 10 like I thought before. I might bring one home for "testing purposes" tonight.

The more I look at this thing the sweeter it is. It IS removable too, you just need a buy a stero adapter. I'm gonna look into it more when I have time.
A clever man commits no minor blunders.