News:

03/23/05 10,000th post provided by Cnamon!

Main Menu

smells like fish.

Started by Bishamonten, March 17, 2005, 08:26:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bishamonten

So, I've been trying to make some authentic Japanese meals.  Mostly because I love oriental food but partly because I need to learn how to cook and I figured I'd start here.  Because cooking is sexy( so I've been told[ Thanks, Mom! ] ), and lets face it, I need all the help I can get tricking women into some rough anal sex... err.. finding my soul mate ( wink wink ).  So I made Miso Soup tonight.  The soup stock is called dashi and Miso calls Niboshi Dashi, which is a fish stock: Specifically dried Anchovies.  I just sat over a stove and gutted dried anchovies.  Ripping out the head and the bitter guts with my fingertips.  Where's the sexy?  WHERE?

eo000

i'd say it's in the fiinished product. not the preperation.

Beefy

I bet anchovy innards could be used as lube.

eo000

ignom

Underneath this flabby exterior is an enormous lack of character.

meredith

Quote from: Bishamonten on March 17, 2005, 08:26:27 PM
Ripping out the head and the bitter guts with my fingertips.  Where's the sexy?  WHERE?

Eww, man.  The key to making miso soup  and looking sexy is getting it from the Japanese joint down the road.

Bishamonten

Quote from: Beef on March 17, 2005, 08:34:43 PM

Dried anchovie guts have the consistency of a ritz crakers.

ignom

Quote from: Bishamonten on March 17, 2005, 08:40:58 PM

Even better.

nallen

Isn't making miso soup kind of like making your own ketchup?   Buy the dry stuff, it's good.  I'd concentrate on making rolls and what not, that's where the glory is.
May the Magic Plastic bless you and keep you.

ignom

Does Miso have tofu in it? What is that white stuff?

nishi

"we left the motherland to settle a colony on Juntoo.  hats with belt buckles."
-catchr

<- this is a prankapple.

nallen

Quote from: ignom on March 17, 2005, 09:09:25 PM
Does Miso have tofu in it? What is that white stuff?

yup, that's tofu.  yum!  I used to eat miso damn near everyday in grad school.  you can get it completely dehydrated, add water, microwave it.  mmmmmm  miso goodness.
May the Magic Plastic bless you and keep you.

Gamplayerx

Well, what do you know?  Dried anchovy guts as lube have cured me.  I'm not hungry anymore. 

ignom

I love miso, but I also love wonton soup

Gamplayerx

Miso's okay.  Wonton's okay.  Hot and sawa is where it's at, baby!

Bishamonten

Quote from: nallen on March 17, 2005, 09:05:40 PM
Isn't making miso soup kind of like making your own ketchup?   Buy the dry stuff, it's good.  I'd concentrate on making rolls and what not, that's where the glory is.

Handmade is, in almost every case, better than instant.

nishi

So, I've been trying to make some authentic Japanese meals.  Mostly because I love oriental food but partly because I need to learn how to cook and I figured I'd start here.  Because cooking is sexy( so I've been told[ Thanks, Mom! ] ), and lets face it, I need all the help I can get tricking women into some rough anal sex... err.. finding my soul mate ( wink wink ).  So I made Miso Soup tonight.  The soup stock is called dashi and Miso calls Niboshi Dashi, which is a fish stock: Specifically dried Anchovies.  I just sat over a stove and gutted dried anchovies.  Ripping out the head and the bitter guts with my fingertips.  Where's the sexy?  WHERE?

to make stock, you have to take out the guts and the head? most stocks require the guts and the head.
"we left the motherland to settle a colony on Juntoo.  hats with belt buckles."
-catchr

<- this is a prankapple.

Gamplayerx

Note to self:  no more Miso.

Bishamonten

Quote from: nishi on March 17, 2005, 10:12:32 PM

to make stock, you have to take out the guts and the head? most stocks require the guts and the head.

The guts and head of anchovies are very bitter and ruin the stock.  So sayeth my cookbook. 

Beefy

Quote from: Bishamonten on March 17, 2005, 08:40:58 PM

I'm guessing you've never experienced the unabashed joy that comes with humping a Ritz.