News:

07/15/05 - Beefy nails the 50,000th post!

Main Menu

Entourage

Started by eo000, June 12, 2005, 07:34:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

eo000

show's hbo site

Does anyone else watch this show? I really like it. Piven has some of the best one-liners.

Gamplayerx

Nope, sorry.  Never heard of it.

ignom

I've seen it a couple of times, but I don't have HBO anymore. It was ok.

If you want, you can you record Empire Falls and mail it to me.
Underneath this flabby exterior is an enormous lack of character.

eo000

Quote from: ignom on June 12, 2005, 07:59:18 PM

that's been on a ton, what is it? (can't hook up vcr to my dvr)

ignom

Quote from: eo000 on June 12, 2005, 08:03:27 PM
Quote from: ignom on June 12, 2005, 07:59:18 PM

that's been on a ton, what is it? (can't hook up vcr to my dvr)

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0376591/

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/0375726403/103-2353625-5319807?v=glance

Richard Russo is one of my favorite authors. Another one of his books, Nobody's Fool, was made into a movie a few years ago starring Paul Newman.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0110684/

ignom

The novel Empire Falls won the Pulitzer.

eo000

the show that follows entourage sucks big fat monkeyballs. 

but hey, at 10 the final season of six feet under starts.

nishi

Quote from: ignom on June 12, 2005, 08:12:48 PM
The novel Empire Falls won the Pulitzer.

i went to hear him speak once, up in maine, and he was talking about how he writes. he said that when he started empire falls, he had written about 500 pages.... and then sickeningly realized that he had just really started the novel at about page 485.

i liked him a great deal.

i liked nobody's fool better than empire falls, though. although the opening scene with the decomposing moose is a good one. what did you like best about empire falls? maybe i need to reread.
"we left the motherland to settle a colony on Juntoo.  hats with belt buckles."
-catchr

<- this is a prankapple.

ignom

I liked Nobody's Fool more, too. I think it's the best of the books he's written.

nishi

Quote from: ignom on June 12, 2005, 08:50:35 PM
I liked Nobody's Fool more, too. I think it's the best of the books he's written.

oh good - i thought i was missing something when i liked the book he didn't win the pulitzer for better than the one that he did win it for.....

if you get a chance to hear him read sometime, you should. he reads his work very very well and has interesting things to say about his work.
-catchr

<- this is a prankapple.

ignom

Quote from: nishi on June 12, 2005, 09:11:28 PM
Quote from: ignom on June 12, 2005, 08:50:35 PM

oh good - i thought i was missing something when i liked the book he didn't win the pulitzer for better than the one that he did win it for.....

if you get a chance to hear him read sometime, you should. he reads his work very very well and has interesting things to say about his work.

I've heard him on Fresh Air, but never live.

Gamplayerx

Okay.  Now what the heck happened to the preview button???  Damn you squirrels!  I really do have 5, FIVE, yellow sweettarts for you!

Sorry. I got all distracted by the button madness.  My original intent was to ask if Nobody's Fool is the book that that movie was.

eo000

i agree about the preview button being gone.

Gamplayerx

Quote from: eo000 on June 12, 2005, 09:38:00 PM
i agree about the preview button being gone.
Thank you.  He's starting to make me question my sanity.  And I just love the added tease of it still saying you can hit alt+p to preview - and then it just BEEPS AT ME! I need an "I'm loco" smilie.

dc

Actually, the preview button was an unintended consequence.....  Of what, I don't know.  But I'll bring it back when I do figure it out.

dc

It's back.  There was a mod that made some unintended changes.

Gamplayerx

Jamaican me crazy!!

nishi

-catchr

<- this is a prankapple.

eo000

Gamplayerx

eo, I just noticed how incredibly much gross your avatar is when combined with your title.  Good work!!

eo000

Quote from: Gamplayerx on June 13, 2005, 06:23:46 AM
eo, I just noticed how incredibly much gross your avatar is when combined with your title.  Good work!!
HAHA.

oh yeah, I totally meant for them to go together. ;)

Beefy

I was totally unaware that Empire Falls was turned into a teleplay.

dc

Quote from: Gamplayerx on June 12, 2005, 11:28:31 PM
Jamaican me crazy!!

Think of it as my birthday present to you....

Gamplayerx

Quote from: dc on June 13, 2005, 07:15:24 AM
Quote from: Gamplayerx on June 12, 2005, 11:28:31 PM
Jamaican me crazy!!

Think of it as my birthday present to you....
Thank you!  Insanity:  the gift that keeps on giving.   :-*

Jessie

Man, I just read like 3/4 of this thread thinking, "We've had this conversation before."

Duh.
we should have kept the quote pyramid up to rape Jessie in the face.

ReBurn

11:42:24 [Gamplayerx] I keep getting knocked up.
11:42:28 [Gamplayerx] Er. OUT!

eo000

good ole ari gold. the walking one liner.

cnamon

I am really jonesing for some new episodes.

I used to think Kevin Connelly was so cute and squeezable until I found out he was dating Nicky Hilton.  I got really sad when I heard that.

eo000

Quote from: cnamon on March 13, 2006, 11:29:34 AM

I used to think Kevin Connelly was so cute and squeezable until I found out he was dating Nicky Hilton.  I got really sad when I heard that.
at least it wasn't paris.

cnamon

Quote from: eo000 on March 13, 2006, 11:33:04 AM
Quote from: cnamon on March 13, 2006, 11:29:34 AM

at least it wasn't paris.
True...

Dry then Catch

hay guys I started watching Entourage.  I am done with the S1 DVD and started on S2.

Question:

are these characters suppposed to be likable?  I know Ari isn't. 
Frankly, E and Vince (the main characters) really irritate the hell out of me.  Is their low-key selfishness and materialism supposed to be a major dark point, or is it supposed to be celebrated like on MTV shows?

Turtle and Johnny Drama are 100 times more fun to watch. 

Dry then Catch

I've lightened up a bit, and gotten over the "shallow living" stage of Entourage and just enjoyed it for what it is.  Given if I was in their situation I'd probably be reacting very simliliarly and put off plans to save 3rd world children. 

Anyway, I'm on s3 e4....(so don't jump ahead).  The only character I dislike (besides Dom who just got introduced) is E's girlfriend, Sloan.  I think she is either going to backstab him and Ari's agency, or she is just poorly written.  Is she supposed to be the "cool" girlfriend, because she isn't girly and bitchy, and gives space and understands guy talk?  That is like every Adam Sandler female lead cliche.  It better be the former rather than the latter

cnamon

I didn't like Dom, either.

eo000

Quote from: Dottie Lou on August 31, 2006, 11:33:58 AM
I didn't like Dom, either.
i can't wait until the wire starts back up.

Dry then Catch

what do you guys think of Sloan?  or haev we already found out?   :???: :???: :???:

I did find it funny how Turtle has to sit bitch everytime Dom drives.  To he unspoken point where he just gets out when E walks to the back

cnamon

I have never seen the Wire.  Any good?

Sloan....you will see.

eo000

Quote from: CatchrNdRy on August 31, 2006, 11:42:32 AM
what do you guys think of Sloan?  or haev we already found out?   :???: :???: :???:

I did find it funny how Turtle has to sit bitch everytime Dom drives.  To he unspoken point where he just gets out when E walks to the back

i like sloan.

eo000

Quote from: Dottie Lou on August 31, 2006, 11:43:25 AM

Sloan....you will see.
it's unique. it gives you both the cops and dealers sides of the story. and it's based in baltimore, so you'll see some shit you see all the time.

i love when tv shows are based in cities near where i live. sure it's usually detroit, and that's about an hour away, but you see that stuff enough, you know?

Dry then Catch

My friend watched Poseidon (with Kevin Dillon).  He said Dillon played a role that Johnny Drama would have taken.  6th lead in a bloated B movie. 

Bishamonten

Just watch Deadwood.

swolt

Quote from: eo000 on August 31, 2006, 11:46:38 AM

Sloan....you will see.
it's unique. it gives you both the cops and dealers sides of the story. and it's based in baltimore, so you'll see some shit you see all the time.

i love when tv shows are based in cities near where i live. sure it's usually detroit, and that's about an hour away, but you see that stuff enough, you know?

I hate when they make movies based in Louisiana because most of them are never true. Like Waterboy. I only know two guys that drive rider mowers to school but they made it seem like everyone does...
A clever man commits no minor blunders.

cnamon

Quote from: swolt on August 31, 2006, 02:31:06 PM

Sloan....you will see.

I hate when they make movies based in Louisiana because most of them are never true. Like Waterboy. I only know two guys that drive rider mowers to school but they made it seem like everyone does...
WhoTF drives a lawnmower to school anyway???

That is some real backwoods country shit.

swolt

Quote from: Dottie Lou on August 31, 2006, 02:40:37 PM
Quote from: swolt on August 31, 2006, 02:31:06 PM

Sloan....you will see.

WhoTF drives a lawnmower to school anyway???

That is some real backwoods country shit.

QUIT JUDGING ME!
A clever man commits no minor blunders.