News:

40,000th post goes to Gamp!  Happy birthday!

Main Menu

Emmys

Started by Jessie, September 16, 2007, 07:38:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jessie

we should have kept the quote pyramid up to rape Jessie in the face.

DownSouth

Yes.  Heigle just said shit when she won.
16:15:43 [Gamplayerx] Juneau, I could really go for some pie. You better Belize it!

Jessie

I like how they cut the sound, like we'd have heard it over the applause.

Jessie

Christina Aguilera looks and sounds great.  Who'd have thought she'd have come out ahead of Britney in life?

DownSouth

Robert Duvall doesn't age.  He's looked 80 for 15 years.
16:15:43 [Gamplayerx] Juneau, I could really go for some pie. You better Belize it!

Jessie

Did you see that flash of John Goodman?  Jesus Christ how is he even still alive?

Alice

dazie

I'm just looking at the red carpet pics- LOVE Portia de Rossi's snake dress thing.
"Pinky, are you pondering what I'm pondering?"
I think so, Brain, but how will we get the Spice Girls into the paella?

dazie

Lisa Rinna needs to smack whoever did her lips.  She looks bucktoothed.

Jessie

Quote from: dazie on September 16, 2007, 08:41:50 PM
I'm just looking at the red carpet pics- LOVE Portia de Rossi's snake dress thing.
I didn't see that, but she is always so hot.

dazie

Quote from: Jessie on September 16, 2007, 08:55:30 PM
Quote from: dazie on September 16, 2007, 08:41:50 PM
I didn't see that, but she is always so hot.

Jessie

They did NOT like Sally Field's take on the war...

Beefy

Not watching, thank goodness.

Jessie

Here, I'll transcribe it for you:

"Thanks and stuff.  Wait, I'm not done.  Uhm, the war... I forgot what I was going to say.  About war...uhm....Nora is a mother.  If mothers ruled the world, there'd be no god da" {cut to shot of the ceiling.  seriously.  For like 5-10 seconds} {music as Sally walks off stage}

Jessie

QuoteYOU REALLY DON'T LIKE ME?
When she came backstage to speak with the press, it was unclear whether Sally Field, who won Best Actress in a Drama for her role on Brothers & Sisters, knew that the anti-war comment she made at the end of her speech — ''And let's face it, if the mothers ruled the world, there would be no goddamn wars in the first place'' — had been omitted from the Fox broadcast. But she certainly was unapologetic: ''That's too bad. I wanted to say something about the mothers who wait for their military children to come home.... I don't care. I have no comment other than, 'Oh, well.' I said what I wanted to say. I honestly believe that if mothers ruled the world, we wouldn't be sending our children off to be slaughtered.... I probably shouldn't have said the 'God' in front of the 'damn.' I would've liked to have said more bleeped-out words, but that's life.''

ReBurn

Another celebrity martyred for the cause I guess. Next thing you know she'll be on a plane with Sean Penn to go mow Kim Jong Il's back yard.
11:42:24 [Gamplayerx] I keep getting knocked up.
11:42:28 [Gamplayerx] Er. OUT!

Alice

They just bleeped her for saying god damn.  I don't think they cared about the war crap.  It's the same as them editing out Ray Romano and Katherine Heigel - or however you spell her name.

ReBurn

Did they edit them out from life? Or just the Emmys?

Bennyhana

So, did any of these people make good television?  Does anyone care?

I hate awards shows.

Jessie

It didn't seem the same to me.  They cut out the sound on Katherine Heigl, for just the length of "shit".  They cut sound and picture from Sally Field for the remainder of her speech, not just "god damn." 

*shrugs*  I don't think it was a conspiracy by "The Man,"  just a bad call by a director or producer or whoever makes such a call.

VikingJuice

Quote from: Jessie on September 16, 2007, 07:52:35 PM
Christina Aguilera looks and sounds great.  Who'd have thought she'd have come out ahead of Britney in life?

I called that shot years ago!  Aguilera has talent.  Her issues are that she let's people choose shitty songs for her to do and she went through that ridiculoua "dirty" phase a few years back.  She's always had the pipes. 

VikingJuice

Huffman-great as always

[attachment deleted by admin]

VikingJuice

I swear, I've seen these before as curtains and fabric on a couch!!

manosax

I like her for what she is, but pairing her with Mr. Bennett didn't do it for me.  I'm hoping that it was some concoction of the poducers.  It seems that there is a trend that when pop singers get to a certian point in their career, they think tha they can sing jazz and they just don'tget it. 

ursus

Quote from: VJ-Office Linebacker on September 17, 2007, 07:45:18 PM

I called that shot years ago!  Aguilera has talent.  Her issues are that she let's people choose shitty songs for her to do and she went through that ridiculoua "dirty" phase a few years back.  She's always had the pipes. 
Aretha's got pipes.

Aguilera may get some, the possibility is there.
I was just wondering...

ReBurn

Good thing she got that boob job. She would never have been able to wear that dress without the help.

Alice

I hate Aguilera's voice.  She was great as a kid - but not so great now, imo.

ReBurn

Quote from: Alice on September 18, 2007, 08:16:02 AM
I hate Aguilera's voice.  She was great as a kid - but not so great now, emo.

Jessie

I love her voice, but she overdoes it a lot of times.

dazie

Quote from: ReBurn on September 18, 2007, 08:05:50 AM
Good thing she got that boob job. She would never have been able to wear that dress without the help.

I believe she's being visited by the boob fairy at the moment, being pregnant and all...

manosax

Quote from: Jessie on September 18, 2007, 08:21:29 AM

I like her potential as a vocalist and her vocal timber.  Her problem as with many singers of her ilk is they forgo melody for idiom.  They imbelish too much and the melody gets lost.  The real problem with her, and anyone like her for that matter, singing jazz is that the idiom of jazz is a practice of choosing different melody noted that fit within the harmony.  The approach that she uses is using similar imbelishments to a melody note regardless of the harmony. 

The quiz will be next tuesday.

ReBurn

When I was in 10th grade there were girls in my class named Melody and Harmony.

manosax

I worked with a girl whose name was melody and her father was a musician that I actually respected... I think she had a cousin named Harmony

Alice

Quote from: manosax on September 18, 2007, 12:31:18 PM

I like her potential as a vocalist and her vocal timber.  Her problem as with many singers of her ilk is they forgo melody for idiom.  They imbelish too much and the melody gets lost.  The real problem with her, and anyone like her for that matter, singing jazz is that the idiom of jazz is a practice of choosing different melody noted that fit within the harmony.  The approach that she uses is using similar imbelishments to a melody note regardless of the harmony. 

Hit the nail on the head.  That's exactly why I'm not a fan. 

VikingJuice

Quote from: Alice on September 18, 2007, 01:00:07 PM
Quote from: manosax on September 18, 2007, 12:31:18 PM

Hit the nail on the head.  That's exactly why I'm not a fan. 

I never said she was polished in her skill set.  She's very raw and she uses what I would consider as a lot of tortured notes in her performances.  But the raw talent is there.  I really wish a good producer, who could bring in good a good coach, would partner up with her. I think her ability would take off.

I think in music, there is a dileniation much like in movies where there are actors, and there are movie stars.  She straddles the line in music between those two kinds of categories.  She teases with touches of skill here and there, but then agrees to play crappy pop tunes that have no meat.

manosax

She has always sung in that neo soul singer pop genre.  I think that she has listened to a lot of singers, but has very little musical training.  That 's the real difference.  Aretha plays piano and understands harmony.  christina has believed everything that people have told her.  I think that she is doing better than Brittnay because she wasn't the tease superstar and she went to other roads.  For me, I prefer diana krawl... much hotter too!

VikingJuice

Quote from: manosax on September 18, 2007, 06:09:04 PM
She has always sung in that neo soul singer pop genre.  I think that she has listened to a lot of singers, but has very little musical training.  That 's the real difference.  Aretha plays piano and understands harmony.  christina has believed everything that people have told her.  I think that she is doing better than Brittnay because she wasn't the tease superstar and she went to other roads.  For me, I prefer diana krawl... much hotter too!

Britt nevery had the talent to begin with.  Her music is completely manufacture crap like that of the boy bands of the late 90's.  Aretha, yeah, she's got it all, talent, training, and loads of experience too.  And for the record, I've been on the Dina Krall bandwagon for over a decade.  She has great music!

manosax

all that talent and I wouldn't kick her out of bed.... mmmmm

VikingJuice

Quote from: manosax on September 18, 2007, 06:24:21 PM
all that talent and I wouldn't kick her out of bed.... mmmmm

So you gotta thing for Aretha huh?

manosax

no, I was actually talking about Daina, but I'm sure Aretha gets her fair share...

VikingJuice

Quote from: manosax on September 18, 2007, 08:15:53 PM
no, I was actually talking about Daina, but I'm sure Aretha gets her fair share...

Her first CD cover was the reason I discovered her music.  So hot.  Then I noticed that she has this sexy whiskey voice when she sang.  I was hooked. 

DownSouth

She was great in Mallrats.

Jessie

manosax

I hadn't made that connection, but its really funny.

VikingJuice

Quote from: manosax on September 18, 2007, 10:59:09 PM
I hadn't made that connection, but its really funny.

I don't get it.