News:

Two rules to success in life: 1. Don't tell people everything you know.

Main Menu

xbox 360

Started by eo000, August 18, 2005, 07:29:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

eo000

http://www.iht.com/articles/2005/08/18/business/xbox.php

basically, they will sell two different packages. the bare bones one for $299 and a premium console for $399.

Beefy

I saw that.  The graphics look stupendous.  I just was never that excited about any of the games on the original X-Box.  In fact, after Wanda and the Colossus comes out for the PS2, my days of console gaming are probably over.  I haven't used my PS2 for a long time, and it's not because I didn't have games to play.

eo000

Quote from: Beefy on August 18, 2005, 07:34:09 PM
I saw that.  The graphics look stupendous.  I just was never that excited about any of the games on the original X-Box.  In fact, after Wanda and the Colossus comes out for the PS2, my days of console gaming are probably over.  I haven't used my PS2 for a long time, and it's not because I didn't have games to play.
so no ps3 for you next year?

ReBurn

I wonder how a $400 price point is going to fly with parents?  Let's face it, there's absolutely no reason to go for the bare bones package because I doubt that there will be many games that will run without a hard drive.  They don't put enough RAM in those boxes to eliminate the need for the hard drive, unless they expect people to constantly tolerate loading like in most PS2 games.

I don't like the $400 price point, and I don't care for $60 for new releases.  I didn't buy my current Xbox and PS2 until they dropped to the $199 mark, and I doubt I'll buy either of the new consoles until they hit at least $300.  I predict that the 360 is going to drop by $100 when the PS3 is released next year, and that's likely when I'll buy.  It'll take that long for the really good games to hit the market anyway.
11:42:24 [Gamplayerx] I keep getting knocked up.
11:42:28 [Gamplayerx] Er. OUT!

Beefy

Quote from: eo000 on August 18, 2005, 07:38:46 PM

That would be my guess.

It's only a couple of months away from City of Villains.  I doubt I'll even remember to go to work after that comes out.

eo000

Quote from: Beefy on August 19, 2005, 06:36:46 AM

That would be my guess.

It's only a couple of months away from City of Villains.  I doubt I'll even remember to go to work after that comes out.

I'm not a PC gamer, but that looks pretty sweet.

Mr. Ubiquity

Quote from: eo000 on August 19, 2005, 06:45:49 AM

That would be my guess.

Agreed.  They probably kept the price high so they can try to turn a profit this time.  Last i read, even after all the xboxes sold, they are still losing money on every one. 
"if I wank to it, will u feel disgusted or flattered or a perverse combo of both?"

eo000

Quote from: Marixis on August 24, 2005, 11:30:39 AM

That would be my guess.

Agreed.  They probably kept the price high so they can try to turn a profit this time.  Last i read, even after all the xboxes sold, they are still losing money on every one. 
I read, maybe in that article, that they are finally looking to turn a profit around '07.

Mr. Ubiquity

Quote from: eo000 on August 24, 2005, 11:32:46 AM

That would be my guess.

I read, maybe in that article, that they are finally looking to turn a profit around '07.

In turn will be replaced with the xbox: enoughalready  Version 3.0-youcantafforditnymore
"if I wank to it, will u feel disgusted or flattered or a perverse combo of both?"

ReBurn

I didn't win one in the every10minutes.com contest.  I just couldn't drink enough soda I guess.

eo000

Quote from: Cyclonus on October 28, 2005, 08:09:58 PM
I didn't win one in the every10minutes.com contest.  I just couldn't drink enough soda I guess.

is that over now?

vampirepenguin

I'm going to try to hold out on the Xbox 360 until after christmas. I plan on picking up some launch titles that I know I won't be able to find if I waited my usual year to pick up a new console. I'll get the PS3 closer to this summer or even fall of 06. I'm saying this crap now, because maybe I will be able to wait for the next gens like a good girl... However, I have a sneaking suspicion that I might succumb to temptation...
full of mulatto goodness since 1979!

VikingJuice

Quote from: eo000 on August 24, 2005, 11:32:46 AM

That would be my guess.

As I understand it, the problem microsoft and GameCube both had was that they didn't produce enough quality titles to compete with Sony and the Playstation line. In the run of each of those respective lines, Xbox had about twice the total count of games that Cube had but Sony out did them combined by an 8-1 ratio.  So far, it seems that the lesser two consoles still try to rely on the quality of one or two titles per season whereas Sony puts out 6-10 exclusive titles and about 40 or more a year on top of that.  Sony gets by on both quality and quantity and even though they may lack the glitz of the other machines, they still bring a strong product with a hell of a lot of choices.

ReBurn

Quote from: vampirepenguin on October 28, 2005, 09:48:38 PM
I'm going to try to hold out on the Xbox 360 until after christmas. I plan on picking up some launch titles that I know I won't be able to find if I waited my usual year to pick up a new console. I'll get the PS3 closer to this summer or even fall of 06. I'm saying this crap now, because maybe I will be able to wait for the next gens like a good girl... However, I have a sneaking suspicion that I might succumb to temptation...
I waited a year before I bought my PS2, and almost a year and a half to pick up my Xbox.  I'll do the same this time around.  Unless there is just some killer app that I really want.  But to be honest with you, the first round of software for any console I've ever owned was less than astounding.

Mr. Ubiquity

Quote from: Cyclonus on October 29, 2005, 12:53:10 PM
I waited a year before I bought my PS2, and almost a year and a half to pick up my Xbox.  I'll do the same this time around.  Unless there is just some killer app that I really want.  But to be honest with you, the first round of software for any console I've ever owned was less than astounding.

probably wont be worth getting right off the bat unless you want one for bragging rights.  Obviously xbox:360 will have halo released for it, but that wouldnt be enough to justify spending 500 dollars for the system.   Hell, you could buy yourself a decent computer for that.  and the xbox is entertainment only.

ReBurn

Quote from: Mr. Ubiquity on October 29, 2005, 01:03:05 PM

probably wont be worth getting right off the bat unless you want one for bragging rights.  Obviously xbox:360 will have halo released for it, but that wouldnt be enough to justify spending 500 dollars for the system.   Hell, you could buy yourself a decent computer for that.  and the xbox is entertainment only.

You know, I never really cared for Halo all that much.  FPS games just aren't something I like to play.  I'm more into racing and fighting games because I can play them for fifteen minutes and walk away with no real investement in time or effort.  I tried to like Halo, I really did.

BigDun

Quote from: Cyclonus on October 29, 2005, 01:06:09 PM

You know, I never really cared for Halo all that much.  FPS games just aren't something I like to play.  I'm more into racing and fighting games because I can play them for fifteen minutes and walk away with no real investement in time or effort.  I tried to like Halo, I really did.

I can't stand first person shooters using a console controller. I have to have a keyboard/mouse combination or I can't play well. That's why I bought the Smartjoy keyboard/mouse adapter for my Xbox. I still can't play great but at least I no longer suck when I play multiplayer Halo.

http://xbox.gamespy.com/articles/565/565000p1.html
16:26:25 [DownSouth] I'm in a monkey rutt

Mr. Ubiquity

i was pretty big into the FPS.  But being a killing machine ( so to speak, im not that good at them) is boring.  In general most all computer games are starting to bore me.  There is no originality to them, people pop them out faster than kids in a 3rd world country.  Causes such a glut that you cant have any true interest.   I liked Halo and played it on the xbox, but i bought it to play instead on the pc.

Mr. Ubiquity

i was pretty big into the FPS.  But being a killing machine ( so to speak, im not that good at them) is boring.  In general most all computer games are starting to bore me.  There is no originality to them, people pop them out faster than kids in a 3rd world country.  Causes such a glut that you cant have any true interest.   I liked Halo and played it on the xbox, but i bought it to play instead on the pc.

Beefy

i was pretty big into the FPS.  But being a killing machine ( so to speak, im not that good at them) is boring.  In general most all computer games are starting to bore me.  There is no originality to them, people pop them out faster than kids in a 3rd world country.  Causes such a glut that you cant have any true interest.   I liked Halo and played it on the xbox, but i bought it to play instead on the pc.

Mr. Ubiquity

Quote from: Batty on October 29, 2005, 02:24:10 PM

i was pretty big into the FPS.  But being a killing machine ( so to speak, im not that good at them) is boring.  In general most all computer games are starting to bore me.  There is no originality to them, people pop them out faster than kids in a 3rd world country.  Causes such a glut that you cant have any true interest.   I liked Halo and played it on the xbox, but i bought it to play instead on the pc.

post echo   post echo

VikingJuice

Quote from: Mr. Ubiquity on October 29, 2005, 02:28:01 PM
Quote from: Batty on October 29, 2005, 02:24:10 PM

post echo   post echo

Now Batting....Manny Mota Mota mota mota....

ignom

My XBox has quit reading discs. It worked on Wednesday. That'll probably cost $50 to fix. And I just bought a second controller.
Underneath this flabby exterior is an enormous lack of character.

ReBurn

So I'm guessing you won't be needing that copy of Splinter Cell.

ignom

Quote from: Cyclonus on October 29, 2005, 06:35:55 PM
So I'm guessing you won't be needing that copy of Splinter Cell.

Well, I am going to get the XBox fixed next week...though last time it took a month.

I only have the XBox because it belonged to my cousin, and when it quit working, they just bought a new one. So I took the old one and had it fixed.
Underneath this flabby exterior is an enormous lack of character.