News:

07/15/05 - Beefy nails the 50,000th post!

Main Menu

Very cool

Started by dazie, September 28, 2005, 06:34:05 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

dazie

I give HUGE props to the coach for giving this kid a chance to prove that he could play and then for letting him play.

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/multimedia/photo_gallery/2005/09/27/gallery.martin/content.1.html?cnn=yes
"Pinky, are you pondering what I'm pondering?"
I think so, Brain, but how will we get the Spice Girls into the paella?

Beefy

On one hand, I agree.

(here's where I get flamed)

On the other hand, I think this another instance of putting idealism ahead of safety.  It's nice to be equal opportunity and give the guy a warm fuzzy, but his very presence on the field is a safety hazard both to himself and the other players.  It will also affect gameplay, as everyone will be focused on not hurting the guy instead of whatever team task they're supposed to be focusing on.

It's unfortunate, and many folks don't like to hear it, but some tasks/sports/professions/whatever aren't meant for everyone.

dazie

Quote from: Beef on September 28, 2005, 06:52:12 AM
On one hand, I agree.

(here's where I get flamed)

On the other hand, I think this another instance of putting idealism ahead of safety.  It's nice to be equal opportunity and give the guy a warm fuzzy, but his very presence on the field is a safety hazard both to himself and the other players.  It will also affect gameplay, as everyone will be focused on not hurting the guy instead of whatever team task they're supposed to be focusing on.

It's unfortunate, and many folks don't like to hear it, but some tasks/sports/professions/whatever aren't meant for everyone.

I disagree.  If the kid is healthy and has demonstrated ability, I don't see him as a liability.  Sure- there will be some double takes, but I'm pretty sure after he makes two or three tackles, people will stop babying him.  He's an award winning wrestler, has participated in other sports already.  He's probably well known in the area, so people are used to him.

Jessie

If he's capable of playing at the same level that's expected of everyone else, I say fine.  If not, then he shouldn't be out there.  I don't know which is the case, but if it's the latter, I agree with Beefy.

I mean, you wouldn't put a guy in a wheelchair on a football field to keep from leaving him out.
we should have kept the quote pyramid up to rape Jessie in the face.

Beefy

Quote from: Jessie on September 28, 2005, 07:35:14 AM
If he's capable of playing at the same level that's expected of everyone else

My point was, doesn't the fact that he has no legs automatically qualify him for that status?  He simply cannot move, tackle, and be tackled like someone with legs.  He can't.

Don't get me wrong - I think he's very brave and carries a level of determination I'll likely never know.  He has my respect.  But that doesn't mean that this is the right thing to do.

Alas, it's his life and his goal, and if no one else minds the consequences of him going in there, then what the hell do I care.

Jessie

Quote from: Beef on September 28, 2005, 07:44:40 AM

My point was, doesn't the fact that he has no legs automatically qualify him for that status?  He simply cannot move, tackle, and be tackled like someone with legs.  He can't.

Don't get me wrong - I think he's very brave and carries a level of determination I'll likely never know.  He has my respect.  But that doesn't mean that this is the right thing to do.

Alas, it's his life and his goal, and if no one else minds the consequences of him going in there, then what the hell do I care.

I don't disagree.

Just because a blind guy is determined to drive doesn't mean he should.

dazie

Isn't he solely a special teams member?  I think that they've taken into consideration his abilities and lack thereof and put him where he can play.

It amazes me.  I couldn't do sports if my life depended on it.

Jessie

QuoteAt 3-feet, 112 pounds, Martin is a backup varsity noseguard and plays on the punt and kickoff coverage teams for Dayton's Colonel White High.

Looks like he plays varsity, unless I'm not reading that right.

Beefy

Quote from: dazie on September 28, 2005, 07:50:20 AM
Isn't he solely a special teams member?

He's not special, he's differently abled.

dazie

Quote from: Jessie on September 28, 2005, 07:52:44 AM
QuoteAt 3-feet, 112 pounds, Martin is a backup varsity noseguard and plays on the punt and kickoff coverage teams for Dayton's Colonel White High.

That means special teams.  Sorry- that means "differently abled" teams.

Jessie

Quote from: dazie on September 28, 2005, 07:56:22 AM

That means special teams.  Sorry- that means "differently abled" teams.
That means both varsity and other teams, I think.

Beefy

He's a stand-in when the ball is out of commission.

YEAH, I WENT THERE.

Jessie

Quote from: Beef on September 28, 2005, 07:59:35 AM

YEAH, I WENT THERE.

Well, I almost asked how he was on the punting team, but I didn't.

dazie

Quote from: Beef on September 28, 2005, 07:59:35 AM

YEAH, I WENT THERE.

:rock:  Hell is going to be so much fun with all of us there.

Beefy

cnamon

Jessie

Bennyhana

I'd have to see the kid play to really decide how I felt about him playing.  He might be successful, if only for the "Ew, I don't want stumpy to block me" factor.  As for his safety, as long as he and his parents are prepared to live with the consequences, I don't have a problem with that.  As for everyone else's safety, It's football-If you don't look where you're going, you're going to get hurt anyway.  Now, if the guy's just on the team so he can feel normal, that's lame.  But if he can bring someting to the table, I say it's cool.

ReBurn

Quote from: Jessie on September 28, 2005, 07:47:44 AM
Quote from: Beef on September 28, 2005, 07:44:40 AM

I don't disagree.

Just because a blind guy is determined to drive doesn't mean he should.
Blind Fury
11:42:24 [Gamplayerx] I keep getting knocked up.
11:42:28 [Gamplayerx] Er. OUT!

dazie

Kristine

I'm gonna have to fall on the side of "warm fuzzies".... one needs legs to play football correctly and well... there was an article about him in the Reader's Digest, and I think it's great that he doesn't live his life like he's "less" or anything, and he gets a lot more done than I do....

But there are just some things that shouldn't be done.
"There are two kinds of folks who sit around thinking about how to kill people..psychopaths and mystery writers." - Castle

Mr. Ubiquity

Quote from: Beef on September 28, 2005, 07:54:27 AM
Quote from: dazie on September 28, 2005, 07:50:20 AM
Isn't he solely a special teams member?

He's not special, he's differently abled.

Everyone can shoot me, but he could be the ball holder for punting and for field goals.

Seriously though, some people with a disability dont consider it as such.  Its just life for them.  Alot of times its considered a disability when  you compare them to someone *normal* and someone who is *disabled*.  Your as disabled as you want to believe you are.  Some people do things just to challenge themselves and say yes i can.  Others do it because people tell them they cant.

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/7318398/

"if I wank to it, will u feel disgusted or flattered or a perverse combo of both?"