News:

In spite of the cost of living, it's still quite popular.

Main Menu

Dish Network vs DirecTV

Started by cnamon, February 27, 2006, 01:58:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

cnamon

I am thinking about getting rid of my cable and getting DirecTV or the Dish Network.

We have DirecTV at my daddy's house, and my mommy has Dish Network...I don't use either enough to see a huge difference in programming and features.

What Would Junto Choose?

ReBurn

11:42:24 [Gamplayerx] I keep getting knocked up.
11:42:28 [Gamplayerx] Er. OUT!

eo000

sapphirehart

Quote from: cnamon on February 27, 2006, 01:58:13 PM
I am thinking about getting rid of my cable and getting DirecTV or the Dish Network.

We have DirecTV at my daddy's house, and my mommy has Dish Network...I don't use either enough to see a huge difference in programming and features.

What Would Junto Choose?

I've been a Dish Network customer for six years.  I like them but I may be biased.

ReBurn

Quote from: eo000 on February 27, 2006, 01:58:55 PM
not to drop cable. :D
Yeah, I kinda like being able to watch TV when it rains.

eo000

DownSouth

I had satellite years ago.  Unless the customer service has improved a lot I'd stick with cable.  My satellite got struck by lightning and they had to subcontract a guy to fix it.
16:15:43 [Gamplayerx] Juneau, I could really go for some pie. You better Belize it!

meredith

Dishes haven't really had those issues since the first generation, if they are aligned properly and fixed well.  A lightning storm can disrupt signal from EM interference, if it's a bad-ass one, but you're not going to realy get around that as all of the cable channels are delivered by satellite anyway. I'm not a fan of DirecTV because they employ a dishonest telemarketing company to call current customers and attempt to upsell them, and call previous customers to get them to rejoin.

ReBurn

I guess the installation I had on mine was just shoddy, then.  Because a week or so after they put it in I made them take it back out because I couldn't get a clear picture.

BigDun

I have been a DirecTV customer for 8 years and have had very few problems.

Yes, really big thunderstorms can block the satellite.

Yes, snow or ice can accumulate on the dish and prevent you from getting a signal.

But overall, I have had much fewer outages than I had when I was on cable. We currently subscribe to the HiDef package and have a HiDef/DirecTV Tivo unit that is wonderful.
16:26:25 [DownSouth] I'm in a monkey rutt

Listener

Quote from: BigDun on February 27, 2006, 04:31:21 PM
I have been a DirecTV customer for 8 years and have had very few problems.

Yes, really big thunderstorms can block the satellite.

Yes, snow or ice can accumulate on the dish and prevent you from getting a signal.

But overall, I have had much fewer outages than I had when I was on cable. We currently subscribe to the HiDef package and have a HiDef/DirecTV Tivo unit that is wonderful.

I have considered getting satellite, but I think our cable has gone out twice since we moved to Georgia, and for no more than half an hour at a time.  So I'm not messing with what works.  Plus, we get a discount for having cable and internet on the same account.

cnamon

We get the discount, too, but I am not a huge fan of Comcast here...they rape you and they are super rude.  No reach around.

It is pretty expensive, and I am considering getting a home phone and DSL.  I haven't decided yet.

Listener

Quote from: cnamon on February 27, 2006, 05:28:06 PM
We get the discount, too, but I am not a huge fan of Comcast here...they rape you and they are super rude.  No reach around.

It is pretty expensive, and I am considering getting a home phone and DSL.  I haven't decided yet.

Comcast offers VOIP for like $25/month in some places, and $40/month for traditional phone service with free long distance and all that add-on crap free as well.  To get each of those things (dish/cable, phone, dsl) separately may cost a bit more.

Jessie

My dad has trouble with the weather and his satellite.  I don't remember if it's DishNetwork or DirecTV. 

I get dsl and digital cable for $60/month, so I'm pretty happy.
we should have kept the quote pyramid up to rape Jessie in the face.

Gamplayerx

We pay a lot for Comcast - but have never had any problems and the customer service is awesome.  Also, we really don't have any choice.  We're 1800 feet too far from the substation for dsl and too treed for satellite and there aren't any other cable companies serving this area.

DownSouth

I pay a lot.  I have every channel though and cable internet.
16:15:43 [Gamplayerx] Juneau, I could really go for some pie. You better Belize it!

meredith

Quote from: Listener on February 27, 2006, 05:53:57 PM

Comcast offers VOIP for like $25/month in some places, and $40/month for traditional phone service with free long distance and all that add-on crap free as well.  To get each of those things (dish/cable, phone, dsl) separately may cost a bit more.

Does your avatar caption mean the fourth episode or the fourth season?  Isn't an entire season one day in that show?

Listener

Quote from: hattmoward on February 28, 2006, 11:27:05 AM
Quote from: Listener on February 27, 2006, 05:53:57 PM

Does your avatar caption mean the fourth episode or the fourth season?  Isn't an entire season one day in that show?

Well, the episode names are pretty unimaginative... "Day 4, 1:00pm - 2:00pm" for instance.  Day # = Season #.

So yes.