News:

Some people are alive only because it's illegal to kill.

Main Menu

Neverending Story

Started by Listener, April 09, 2006, 09:02:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Listener

I got Neverending Story/Neverending Story II (III isn't worth mentioning) on DVD, and sat down and watched the original tonight with the wife.

I've read the book (it exists; I inadvertently stole it from a friend).  I've run the movie with both captioning and subtitles.  And still no mention of the mother's name.  Has anyone been able to make it out?  Ever?

dazie

He names the Empress "Moonchild". Whether this means Bastian's mother was a hippy, or she was born under the astrological sign Cancer (which would be ironic, since it seems that she has recently died); I don't know. But if you listen carefully, you can tell that is what he is shouting. As well as this is what he calls her in the book.

This from http://www.nitpickers.com/movies/nitpick.cgi?np=9150
"Pinky, are you pondering what I'm pondering?"
I think so, Brain, but how will we get the Spice Girls into the paella?

Listener

Quote from: dazie on April 09, 2006, 09:08:30 PM
He names the Empress "Moonchild". Whether this means Bastian's mother was a hippy, or she was born under the astrological sign Cancer (which would be ironic, since it seems that she has recently died); I don't know. But if you listen carefully, you can tell that is what he is shouting. As well as this is what he calls her in the book.

This from http://www.nitpickers.com/movies/nitpick.cgi?np=9150

I coulda sworn he didn't name her in the book.  I guess I have to read it again.

Given how staid Bastian's father is, it's amazing he managed to hook a hippy, at least in the pre-Dharma-and-Greg days.

dazie

Never saw it, never read it.  Did a google search for  +"Neverending Story" +mother's name.

;D
"Pinky, are you pondering what I'm pondering?"
I think so, Brain, but how will we get the Spice Girls into the paella?

Gamplayerx

Didn't the kid from the first movie die?

dc

Quote from: Gamplayerx on April 09, 2006, 09:28:20 PM

Yes.  He ate Pop Rocks while drinking a Coke.

cnamon

Quote from: dc on April 09, 2006, 11:54:12 PM
Quote from: Gamplayerx on April 09, 2006, 09:28:20 PM

Yes.  He ate Pop Rocks while drinking a Coke.
I thought he passed out at 31 Flavors?

Listener

Barret Oliver, the original Bastian, is still alive.  He's a photography teacher now.

Jonathan Brandis, Bastian from NSII, committed suicide.

Beefy

I had to look that up a few years ago after I read the book.

The little girl who played the princess still does the convention circuit from time to time, as does Atreyu.

nishi

"we left the motherland to settle a colony on Juntoo.  hats with belt buckles."
-catchr

<- this is a prankapple.

Alice