News:

What happens if you get scared half to death twice?

Main Menu

Need your opinions for artwork used in this animated projected

Started by SockmonkeyHolocaust, May 22, 2006, 10:38:11 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

SockmonkeyHolocaust

Ok, so I have been working on this animated project for what seems like forever anymore and I am finally moving forward. I have been doing rough tests on potential backgrounds and have settled on either watercolors or real-life pictures. Which do you think look better?

Pictures:
The order the pictures would be played in:
http://www.sawken.com/sketches/back.php
Bone standing by the side of the street:
http://www.sawken.com/sketches/BoneBySideOfStreet.swf
(I know the scale for him is off)
Bone jumping and missing the bushes:
http://www.sawken.com/sketches/Jump.swf

Watercolor:
Darby on the couch:
http://www.sawken.com/sketches/onthecouch.php
Darby walking across the room:
http://www.sawken.com/sketches/darby2.swf

Thanks, I greatly appreciate your input.

Alice

The first .php timed out before loading completely - though it could just be my computer.

And none of the .swf files loaded for me at all - again, possibly my computer.

Sorry.  :(

DownSouth

16:15:43 [Gamplayerx] Juneau, I could really go for some pie. You better Belize it!

SockmonkeyHolocaust

Quote from: DownSouth on May 22, 2006, 10:46:21 AM
I like the real life ones better.

I was thinking that if I did the watercolor thing I would have to up my quality drastically (which means that it would take even more time to get an episode done). If I go with the pictures, I may try some Photoshop filtering.

Beefy

If you mean using your animations in front of real life photos, I say go that route.

dazie

Quote from: Beefy on May 22, 2006, 10:49:40 AM
If you mean using your animations in front of real life photos, I say go that route.

2nd
"Pinky, are you pondering what I'm pondering?"
I think so, Brain, but how will we get the Spice Girls into the paella?

SockmonkeyHolocaust

Quote from: Alice on May 22, 2006, 10:42:24 AM
The first .php timed out before loading completely - though it could just be my computer.

And none of the .swf files loaded for me at all - again, possibly my computer.

Sorry.  :(

Ah, well, if you get a chance to see it let me know what you think.

Gamplayerx

I need more background on what you're wanting to accomplish.  I actually like both juxtapositions of cartoon against photos and watercolors.

And I really like the zooming into the bush effect.

SockmonkeyHolocaust

Quote from: Gamplayerx on May 22, 2006, 08:52:37 PM
I need more background on what you're wanting to accomplish.  I actually like both juxtapositions of cartoon against photos and watercolors.

And I really like the zooming into the bush effect.

An animated series about living in Philadelphia.

I like both styles and will probably work in whatever medium I have time to do. Right now I have a ton of vignettes I want to crank out so it's going to be pictures. Maybe for the feature.

Gamplayerx

If it's about living in Philly, I think it blends beautifully with the photos.  Best wishes with it!

Alice

I like the photos better as well.

Also, a tip from an old animation teacher, make sure that for every color you have on your character there are three shades of it... the middle, a lighter highlight, and a shadow. 

SockmonkeyHolocaust

Quote from: Alice on May 22, 2006, 10:17:30 PM
I like the photos better as well.

Also, a tip from an old animation teacher, make sure that for every color you have on your character there are three shades of it... the middle, a lighter highlight, and a shadow. 

I am still up in the air about the shading. I am still finding a style I like.

SockmonkeyHolocaust

Just thought I would update this thread with some screenshots of the series. I am about 200 frames away from being done the first episode.

Jessie

we should have kept the quote pyramid up to rape Jessie in the face.

SockmonkeyHolocaust

Quote from: Jessie on June 26, 2006, 10:57:04 AM
I love the way that looks.

Wait until you see it. A friend whipped up some Coltrane inspired Jazz music and for one part I used the opening to "Violence Solves Everything" by Body Part Trophy Case.

The story arc is as follows:
It's an introduction to the three characters via the way they handle the death of the one character's 18 year old cousin.

Duk, the one you see there, is 20 years old and facing his mortality for the first time. He asks himself if one day he'll die and then goes and does something brainlessly stupid to prove that he's still invincible.

Lynette, age 25, realizes that life is too short to deal with the shit she has dealt with at work and goes and quits in a most spectacular fashion

Darby, age 30, has just entered the time in his life where this isn't the first person to die but he's still not used to it. He just maintains his course.

It's going to be incredible.

DownSouth

16:15:43 [Gamplayerx] Juneau, I could really go for some pie. You better Belize it!

Alice

I'm excited to see this... I know how hard you've been working on it!  :)

Gamplayerx