News:

I'm just saying it's hypocritical to write "The Last DJ" and then do a Pepsi Budweiser Sobe Depends Claritin Prozac GoDaddy StateFarm Coca-Cola Coors Vitamin Water Attends Allegra Xanax 1-800-Safe-auto RC Cola Miller Gatorade Huggies Robotussin Morphine Halftime Show.

Main Menu

Powerpoint question

Started by Bennyhana, May 10, 2006, 10:53:12 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bennyhana

So, I have to do projections for a show.  The projections are very simple (white words on a black background), but the show is improvised, so the slides may not want to go in the same order every time.  To this end, is there any way to set up a powerpoint presentation to run on one monitor (the projector) and have the other monitor (an actual monitor) to rearrange slides and drop them in as needed? 

If this is not possible in Powerpoint, is there a program that can do this?

swolt

we did this when I taught class. We just had two monitors on the PC, one went to the projector and the other was on the desk. You can open the slideshow on the projector but keep the design view up on the other monitor. You can add or edit a slide, then click on the slideshow and go to that number slide. It's pretty easy once you get used to it.
A clever man commits no minor blunders.

Bennyhana

Quote from: swolt on May 10, 2006, 10:56:32 AM
we did this when I taught class. We just had two monitors on the PC, one went to the projector and the other was on the desk. You can open the slideshow on the projector but keep the design view up on the other monitor. You can add or edit a slide, then click on the slideshow and go to that number slide. It's pretty easy once you get used to it.

So, does that option present itself obviously when there are 2 monitors on the computer?  I was looking for some option to let me do that (though I didn't have 2 monitors set up) and I didn't see one.  Also, does the slide show appear to run smoothly as you do this?  That's critical, because this is a theatrical production and not something where I want the audience to giggle and say, "ha, they're using powerpoint"

meredith

it's in the presentation options when windows is set up with more than one display.  if you use a projector that goes in-line with the monitor, then it can't be done in that wiring arrangement.  if you have two video cards, or one with a video-out that allows it to be run as a second display, then you can tell it to show the slideshow on that other display.

edit: http://www.expresscomputeronline.com/20040712/techspace01.shtml

Bennyhana

Thanks.  I wonder if the laptop that is readily available for this is capable of running two separate displays.  I doubt it.

meredith

if the projector accepts VGA signal, you can get a hold of little USB pucks that show up as a second display to windows, but I can't vouch for the performance so it might not look great if you use fancy-ass slide transitions or such

edit:  like this: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16815118301
it's USB 2 so i'd guess it can handle "business graphics" fine

Bennyhana

Quote from: hattmoward on May 10, 2006, 11:25:09 AM
if the projector accepts VGA signal, you can get a hold of little USB pucks that show up as a second display to windows, but I can't vouch for the performance so it might not look great if you use fancy-ass slide transitions or such

edit:  like this: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16815118301
it's USB 2 so i'd guess it can handle "business graphics" fine

Cool.  Seems like it might be a good option.  There won't be anything fancy; if they wanted fancy, they'd hire someone who knew what the hell they were doing instead of Using me for free.  Anyway, that's a better option than having to buy a video card for a desktop that they'd have to liberate from someone in their office.

Listener

Quote from: Bennyhana on May 10, 2006, 11:19:16 AM
Thanks.  I wonder if the laptop that is readily available for this is capable of running two separate displays.  I doubt it.

If you have the lappy open and you have a CRT/SVGA output, it should be possible.  Find the function key that switches between displays.  My Toshiba can do it (Fn-F5).

Bennyhana

yeah, but most of the lappy's that I've dealt with have three options:  Just the LCD, Just the VGA out, and Both of them showing the same thing.  Anyway, we'll test it tonight with my CRT at home.  Thanks all!