News:

STFU & GBTW

Main Menu

flash help

Started by Listener, August 25, 2006, 11:20:51 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Listener

Okay, here's what I need to do, and it's not really working:

I have two .flv video files.  I need two separate .swf files.  I've figured that part out.

I created a new project.

I went to file-import-import video.

I selected that the video file is on my computer and browsed it in.

I selected "progressive download from a web server" for my deployment option.

I picked the skin I want.

Then I get:

When you click finish, the following will happen:
* you will need to copy your file to the web -- which I already did, and I know the path
* the video will be located at (gives location)
* component inspector -- change the contentpath attribute to be the proper location -- which I did

Aaaaaand... it gives me a "failed to load" error.

Anyone know what I'm doing wrong?

DownSouth

At the Title screen, press Up, Up, Down, Down, Left, Right, Left, Right, B, A, Start for 30 lives. Press Select before Start for two players.

16:15:43 [Gamplayerx] Juneau, I could really go for some pie. You better Belize it!

Listener

Quote from: DownSouth on August 25, 2006, 11:24:00 AM
At the Title screen, press Up, Up, Down, Down, Left, Right, Left, Right, B, A, Start for 30 lives. Press Select before Start for two players.

That only works in Dreamweaver.

::)

meredith

are you using a URL for contentpath or a local file path?

is the video file on the same server as the flash file?  i believe on FF (maybe IE) plugins are restricted to connecting back to the server they are already on -- the same treatment java apps get.

Alice

We just need to make a sticky thread titled "Ask Hatt".   ;)

Listener

Quote from: hatt on August 25, 2006, 12:29:57 PM

is the video file on the same server as the flash file?  i believe on FF (maybe IE) plugins are restricted to connecting back to the server they are already on -- the same treatment java apps get.

URL

The video file is not on the same server as the IE server because I haven't uploaded the .SWF file to the server yet.  Is that the error I've made?

meredith

Quote from: Listener on August 25, 2006, 12:57:30 PM

URL

The video file is not on the same server as the IE server because I haven't uploaded the .SWF file to the server yet.  Is that the error I've made?

So what are you doing right now.. opening a local HTML file that embeds the SWF, and the SWF is trying to stream video from a web server elsewhere?

I would try putting it on the server next to the video to test.  I do believe flash has that "same server" restriction, including when it's something run off the local system. (Java doesn't have that restriction when you run an applet that is on your PC.)

Listener

Quote from: hatt on August 25, 2006, 01:15:05 PM
Quote from: Listener on August 25, 2006, 12:57:30 PM

URL

So what are you doing right now.. opening a local HTML file that embeds the SWF, and the SWF is trying to stream video from a web server elsewhere?

I would try putting it on the server next to the video to test.  I do believe flash has that "same server" restriction, including when it's something run off the local system. (Java doesn't have that restriction when you run an applet that is on your PC.)

Well, the other problem is that I have an ASPX page that it's running on.  And that until Monday we won't have control of the target domain.  So basically this page is going to go on myatltv.com, and the video is going to go on 11alive.com, and then I was going to redo it on Monday.

If my boss doesn't have a way to do this I'll mention the same-server thing.

It seems kind of dumb on the part of Flash to require you to change the contentPath attribute and then it doesn't work.

meredith

put the FLV file in the same directory as the SWF and reduce contentpath to just the filename.  "listenersgoatpron.flv"  like that.

that will at least help isolate the problem beween:

1) flash app from location A isn't allowed to open location B

or

2) some sort of codec or data error.  jumobs in the frobulator.

Listener

OK, now the contentpath is set, but it didn't import the video into Macromedia Flash.  However, if I save the file as a .SWF and then put it and the .FLV in the same directory, it theoretically should work, yes?

meredith

it can't hurt to try

if your pc explodes in your face .. i blame eo

Listener

Just one other question... it keeps saving as a .FLA, and I can't figure out how to save as a .SWF.

I also keep typing SFW.  Heh.

meredith

FLA is something for flash video gallery; it seems to be an index of videos for the 'flash video gallery' flash app, not a standalone flash app for embedding.

i'm not sure you're taking the right path to get to your desired result ;)

Listener

Quote from: hatt on August 25, 2006, 01:49:49 PM
FLA is something for flash video gallery; it seems to be an index of videos for the 'flash video gallery' flash app, not a standalone flash app for embedding.

i'm not sure you're taking the right path to get to your desired result ;)

DOH!

Okay, so what do I pick to make sure my end result is a SWF?

EDIT: nevermind, I found it.

meredith

i'm not exactly sure how it's done with the flash development app -- i only know details about flash without having used it.

useful linkage:

http://www.adobe.com/devnet/flash/articles/video_guide.html
http://www.adobe.com/devnet/flash/video.html

Listener

Actually, your "it only works if it's in the same directory" thing was exactly right.

I just exported my file to a .SWF and put the video in that directory and WHOOMP there it was.

Thanks for your help.

meredith

Quote from: Listener on August 25, 2006, 01:54:24 PM
Actually, your "it only works if it's in the same directory" thing was exactly right.

I just exported my file to a .SWF and put the video in that directory and WHOOMP there it was.

Thanks for your help.

truly tag team are our saviors.

Bennyhana

I was about to say maybe you have to choose "Publish" or "Export" instead of "Save."  But you got it.  Yay!

Listener

Quote from: hatt on August 25, 2006, 01:55:40 PM
Quote from: Listener on August 25, 2006, 01:54:24 PM

Thanks for your help.

truly tag team are our saviors.

Indeed, they are back again.  They checked it, wrecked it, and began.  And, verily, we, the party people, made some noise.