News:

What happens if you get scared half to death twice?

Main Menu

free photo editor

Started by Listener, August 07, 2006, 11:43:54 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Listener

Quote from: Bennyhana on August 08, 2006, 10:03:36 AM
Quote from: Listener on August 08, 2006, 09:48:24 AM
Well, I didn't really know how to use Photoshop until my boss explained the concept of "layers" to me.  That opened up a whole new world, and within like 6 hours I was at least at "intermediate" level of use.

I don't plan to use Gimp regularly, but it's free, and I can use it at home, and that's really all that matters at the moment.  I only need it to do five things:  crop a specific number of pixels on each side, add text, flatten, stroke, and save for web.

Other than the 1pixel stroke (border?  I'm not even sure what you mean by that), there's a free program called Irfanview that will do all of that in batches as well as one at a time.  It's also a good viewer for image files because it's quick and you can go through entire directories easily.

It's a border.  We use it to bound pictures on our website.

What I really need to do is download that autohotkeys program and set up a key combo that automatically flattens and then strokes the image so I don't have to play with the mouse.  (There's no shortcut for Flatten or Stroke in PS.)

dazie

You can merge visible with a shortcut- depending on your desired outcome, that would do the trick.
"Pinky, are you pondering what I'm pondering?"
I think so, Brain, but how will we get the Spice Girls into the paella?

Listener

Quote from: dazie on August 08, 2006, 10:15:35 AM
You can merge visible with a shortcut- depending on your desired outcome, that would do the trick.

Well, what I'm doing is taking an AP photo, putting a text photo credit on it, then Flattening it.  If I only have the two layers -- background and text -- and they're both visible, then Merge Visible would do it, correct?

dazie

yup.  There are differences between that and flatten, but for what you need- it'll do.
"Pinky, are you pondering what I'm pondering?"
I think so, Brain, but how will we get the Spice Girls into the paella?

DownSouth

16:15:43 [Gamplayerx] Juneau, I could really go for some pie. You better Belize it!

meredith

Quote from: Listener on August 08, 2006, 10:12:28 AM
Well, I didn't really know how to use Photoshop until my boss explained the concept of "layers" to me.  That opened up a whole new world, and within like 6 hours I was at least at "intermediate" level of use.

I don't plan to use Gimp regularly, but it's free, and I can use it at home, and that's really all that matters at the moment.  I only need it to do five things:  crop a specific number of pixels on each side, add text, flatten, stroke, and save for web.

Other than the 1pixel stroke (border?  I'm not even sure what you mean by that), there's a free program called Irfanview that will do all of that in batches as well as one at a time.  It's also a good viewer for image files because it's quick and you can go through entire directories easily.

What I really need to do is download that autohotkeys program and set up a key combo that automatically flattens and then strokes the image so I don't have to play with the mouse.  (There's no shortcut for Flatten or Stroke in PS.)

Drop the attached in C:\Program Files\GIMP-2.0\share\gimp\2.0\scripts.  Then in the main GIMP window, go to Xtns, Script-Fu, Refresh Scripts.

This will add a 1 px white border inside the given image (does not do any resizing) with one click; you'll now find it in the Script-Fu menu on an image window.  Also, if you try to save to a format that doesn't support layers (jpg), it'll offer to flatten for you at that point.

er it won't let me attach a scheme file

here:  http://home.hattmoward.org/~mhoward/junto/add-border-listener.scm

edit: for some reason i thought you said white.  i changed the script to a black border.

Bennyhana

That Hatt is a computer genius!

Listener

Quote from: hatt on August 08, 2006, 10:46:35 AM
Quote from: Listener on August 08, 2006, 10:12:28 AM

Drop the attached in C:\Program Files\GIMP-2.0\share\gimp\2.0\scripts.  Then in the main GIMP window, go to Xtns, Script-Fu, Refresh Scripts.

This will add a 1 px white border inside the given image (does not do any resizing) with one click; you'll now find it in the Script-Fu menu on an image window.  Also, if you try to save to a format that doesn't support layers (jpg), it'll offer to flatten for you at that point.

er it won't let me attach a scheme file

here:  http://home.hattmoward.org/~mhoward/junto/add-border-listener.scm

edit: for some reason i thought you said white.  i changed the script to a black border.

Cool, thanks.  I'll put it on my home lappy when I get home.

Gamplayerx

I couldn't figure out the GIMP, so I bought Photoshop Elements.  Not as good as the full Photoshop, but way, way cheaper.

Listener

Quote from: Gamplayerx on August 08, 2006, 06:09:09 PM
I couldn't figure out the GIMP, so I bought Photoshop Elements.  Not as good as the full Photoshop, but way, way cheaper.

I just don't feel like paying for even the elements, especially since I have to pay COBRA until October 1.

Alice

Quote from: Listener on August 09, 2006, 06:40:39 AM

I just don't feel like paying for even the elements, especially since I have to pay COBRA until October 1.
Why do you pay him?  Is it some sort of undeground mafia... like a "protection" fee?  Cuz I could call up Shipwreck and have him set things straight for you.

meredith

You had to take COBRA during the job switch?  ouch.  my wallet feels your pain.

Listener

Quote from: hatt on August 09, 2006, 09:21:30 AM

You had to take COBRA during the job switch?  ouch.  my wallet feels your pain.

Yeah... COBRA for me and the wife is $750 per month... and when we add the baby in September (she'll be covered by my wife's policy until 31 days after birth) that'll knock it up to $900.  I hope it's prorated, so if she's born on August 15, we only have to pay 14 days of insurance on her (9/16 - 9/30) and then my new insurance will pick it up on 10/1.