News:

"I'd rather regret the things I have done than the things I have not." --Lucille Ball

Main Menu

free photo editor

Started by Listener, August 07, 2006, 11:43:54 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Listener

I need a free photo-editing program that lets me do the following:

* Crop a JPEG, cutting out extraneous area and selecting the best part of the shot.
* Put a 1px stroke around the inside border of the picture (analogous to the Photoshop "stroke" command).
* Save at 72 dpi.
* Be free.

The company doesn't have any Photoshop licenses to put one on my home lappy, so I have to VNC into my work compy to edit pictures when I'm working from home, and that's slow. As. Balls.

Suggestions?

dazie

"Pinky, are you pondering what I'm pondering?"
I think so, Brain, but how will we get the Spice Girls into the paella?

Listener

I need something that will crop a picture to the exact correct size of 230x173 and/or 400x300... I don't see a size meter on Picasa.

meredith

Quote from: Listener on August 07, 2006, 12:43:56 PM
I need something that will crop a picture to the exact correct size of 230x173 and/or 400x300... I don't see a size meter on Picasa.

http://gimp-win.sourceforge.net/

are you really a listener?  ;D

choose crop tool, click somewhere on the image, punch your desired dimensions into the dialog box that pops up, move the crossed crop marks to select your desired area

Listener

Quote from: hatt on August 07, 2006, 12:46:41 PM

choose crop tool, click somewhere on the image, punch your desired dimensions into the dialog box that pops up, move the crossed crop marks to select your desired area

Oh, I didn't realize Gimp was a software... I thought it was a reference to a joke I wasn't getting.

I shall try it.

Jessie

Quote from: Listener on August 07, 2006, 12:49:32 PM
Quote from: hatt on August 07, 2006, 12:46:41 PM

Oh, I didn't realize Gimp was a software... I thought it was a reference to a joke I wasn't getting.

I shall try it.
That cracked me up for some reason.
we should have kept the quote pyramid up to rape Jessie in the face.

Listener

Unnecessariliy complex.  Can't figure out how to get a 1px stroke around the picture.

Listener

Nevermind, I figured it out.

This program should do.  Thanks.

ReBurn

The Gimp is an adequate tool.  Photoshop is also unnecessarily complex.
11:42:24 [Gamplayerx] I keep getting knocked up.
11:42:28 [Gamplayerx] Er. OUT!

Jessie

PS is too difficult.  I can use Paint Shop Pro, not well, but I can use it.  I can't ever figure out where to begin with PS.
we should have kept the quote pyramid up to rape Jessie in the face.

dazie

I love photoshop.  LOVE IT LOVE IT LOVE IT.  To be honest though, I've been using it for years, so I'm fairly familiar with it. 

Hate Gimp, but it's what I have at home.  It's just close enough to be familiar, but different enough to be annoying.

Listener

Well, I didn't really know how to use Photoshop until my boss explained the concept of "layers" to me.  That opened up a whole new world, and within like 6 hours I was at least at "intermediate" level of use.

I don't plan to use Gimp regularly, but it's free, and I can use it at home, and that's really all that matters at the moment.  I only need it to do five things:  crop a specific number of pixels on each side, add text, flatten, stroke, and save for web.

meredith

I know both apps fairly well and I think Photoshop is the one with the odd interface.  ;D  I've been using GIMP for years though, and I've been involved in the development and used it as it has evolved.

My observational opinion is that many people think of using PS for their work as a sort of status symbol.  "I can do my job with a completely free application? pah!"

Knowing both inside and out, I'd recommend Photoshop (and consider it worth the price) for anyone doing graphic design for printed/processed mediums (web design? quit trying to stroke yourself.  i'm talking pamphlets, flyers, magazines, newspapers, posters, billboards.), or professional art (people who actually have a large-format printer next to their PC), and of course both of those users should grab Illustrator along with it.

meredith

Quote from: Listener on August 08, 2006, 09:48:24 AM
Well, I didn't really know how to use Photoshop until my boss explained the concept of "layers" to me.  That opened up a whole new world, and within like 6 hours I was at least at "intermediate" level of use.

I don't plan to use Gimp regularly, but it's free, and I can use it at home, and that's really all that matters at the moment.  I only need it to do five things:  crop a specific number of pixels on each side, add text, flatten, stroke, and save for web.

It's good to know where to grab a free image editor, for when you find that awesome cat picture and realize the perfect caption for it.

Alice

No, you weren't.  I took computer art classes for 2 years.  At the end of those two years I may have reached "intermediate" level.  

Listener

Quote from: hatt on August 08, 2006, 10:00:44 AM

It's good to know where to grab a free image editor, for when you find that awesome cat picture and realize the perfect caption for it.

I can use paint for THAT...

dazie

Quote from: hatt on August 08, 2006, 09:59:07 AM
Knowing both inside and out, I'd recommend Photoshop (and consider it worth the price) for anyone doing graphic design for printed/processed mediums (web design? quit trying to stroke yourself.  i'm talking pamphlets, flyers, magazines, newspapers, posters, billboards.), or professional art (people who actually have a large-format printer next to their PC), and of course both of those users should grab Illustrator along with it.

2nd.  Actually- if you've got the $$- the whole Adobe Creative Suite is pretty nifty.

It makes me insane that the posters I print on my large format printer are actually built in PowerPoint for the most part.  Gah.

Listener

Quote from: Alice on August 08, 2006, 10:01:42 AM

No, you weren't.  I took computer art classes for 2 years.  At the end of those two years I may have reached "intermediate" level. 

Okay, but I feel like I know what I'm doing, and that's what matters to me. :)

Bennyhana

Other than the 1pixel stroke (border?  I'm not even sure what you mean by that), there's a free program called Irfanview that will do all of that in batches as well as one at a time.  It's also a good viewer for image files because it's quick and you can go through entire directories easily.

meredith

Quote from: Listener on August 08, 2006, 10:02:01 AM
Quote from: hatt on August 08, 2006, 10:00:44 AM

I can use paint for THAT...

But you don't get the pleasant outline around the text!  PLEASANT GOD DAMN IT

dazie

Quote from: Bennyhana on August 08, 2006, 10:03:36 AM

Other than the 1pixel stroke (border?  I'm not even sure what you mean by that), there's a free program called Irfanview that will do all of that in batches as well as one at a time.  It's also a good viewer for image files because it's quick and you can go through entire directories easily.

I like irfanview very much as a viewer.  I use it to resize when I'm too impatient for PS to open up.  *lol*

Alice

Quote from: Listener on August 08, 2006, 10:02:50 AM
Quote from: Alice on August 08, 2006, 10:01:42 AM

No, you weren't.  I took computer art classes for 2 years.  At the end of those two years I may have reached "intermediate" level. 

Okay, but I feel like I know what I'm doing, and that's what matters to me. :)
Now that I can accept.  :)

It is a program where once you get one or two things down - you can start messing around and learning faster and get a general feel for what the program is about.

Listener

It's a border.  We use it to bound pictures on our website.

What I really need to do is download that autohotkeys program and set up a key combo that automatically flattens and then strokes the image so I don't have to play with the mouse.  (There's no shortcut for Flatten or Stroke in PS.)

dazie

You can merge visible with a shortcut- depending on your desired outcome, that would do the trick.

Listener

Quote from: dazie on August 08, 2006, 10:15:35 AM
You can merge visible with a shortcut- depending on your desired outcome, that would do the trick.

Well, what I'm doing is taking an AP photo, putting a text photo credit on it, then Flattening it.  If I only have the two layers -- background and text -- and they're both visible, then Merge Visible would do it, correct?

dazie

yup.  There are differences between that and flatten, but for what you need- it'll do.

DownSouth

16:15:43 [Gamplayerx] Juneau, I could really go for some pie. You better Belize it!

meredith

Quote from: Listener on August 08, 2006, 10:12:28 AM

What I really need to do is download that autohotkeys program and set up a key combo that automatically flattens and then strokes the image so I don't have to play with the mouse.  (There's no shortcut for Flatten or Stroke in PS.)

Drop the attached in C:\Program Files\GIMP-2.0\share\gimp\2.0\scripts.  Then in the main GIMP window, go to Xtns, Script-Fu, Refresh Scripts.

This will add a 1 px white border inside the given image (does not do any resizing) with one click; you'll now find it in the Script-Fu menu on an image window.  Also, if you try to save to a format that doesn't support layers (jpg), it'll offer to flatten for you at that point.

er it won't let me attach a scheme file

here:  http://home.hattmoward.org/~mhoward/junto/add-border-listener.scm

edit: for some reason i thought you said white.  i changed the script to a black border.

Bennyhana

That Hatt is a computer genius!

Listener

Quote from: hatt on August 08, 2006, 10:46:35 AM
Quote from: Listener on August 08, 2006, 10:12:28 AM

Drop the attached in C:\Program Files\GIMP-2.0\share\gimp\2.0\scripts.  Then in the main GIMP window, go to Xtns, Script-Fu, Refresh Scripts.

This will add a 1 px white border inside the given image (does not do any resizing) with one click; you'll now find it in the Script-Fu menu on an image window.  Also, if you try to save to a format that doesn't support layers (jpg), it'll offer to flatten for you at that point.

er it won't let me attach a scheme file

here:  http://home.hattmoward.org/~mhoward/junto/add-border-listener.scm

edit: for some reason i thought you said white.  i changed the script to a black border.

Cool, thanks.  I'll put it on my home lappy when I get home.

Gamplayerx

I couldn't figure out the GIMP, so I bought Photoshop Elements.  Not as good as the full Photoshop, but way, way cheaper.

Listener

Quote from: Gamplayerx on August 08, 2006, 06:09:09 PM
I couldn't figure out the GIMP, so I bought Photoshop Elements.  Not as good as the full Photoshop, but way, way cheaper.

I just don't feel like paying for even the elements, especially since I have to pay COBRA until October 1.

Alice

Quote from: Listener on August 09, 2006, 06:40:39 AM

I just don't feel like paying for even the elements, especially since I have to pay COBRA until October 1.
Why do you pay him?  Is it some sort of undeground mafia... like a "protection" fee?  Cuz I could call up Shipwreck and have him set things straight for you.

meredith

You had to take COBRA during the job switch?  ouch.  my wallet feels your pain.

Listener

Quote from: hatt on August 09, 2006, 09:21:30 AM

You had to take COBRA during the job switch?  ouch.  my wallet feels your pain.

Yeah... COBRA for me and the wife is $750 per month... and when we add the baby in September (she'll be covered by my wife's policy until 31 days after birth) that'll knock it up to $900.  I hope it's prorated, so if she's born on August 15, we only have to pay 14 days of insurance on her (9/16 - 9/30) and then my new insurance will pick it up on 10/1.