News:

9/7/05- 6 months! How the heck did we miss that date?? And you didn't even remember to get me a gift!

Main Menu

is flash hard?

Started by Listener, June 07, 2006, 04:10:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Listener

I have a job interview on Friday and one of the things they want is someone who knows Flash, which I don't, but the guy I talked to today (prelim phone interview) said flash programming would be part of the job, and I've never programmed it before.

So... is it hard?

SockmonkeyHolocaust

Depends. What do you mean by "Flash Programming"?

Are you going to have to make buttons, work with video, make games, or hook it to a database? I could teach you in an afternoon enough to make a website.

Listener

Quote from: Sockmonkeyholocaust on June 07, 2006, 04:11:56 PM

Are you going to have to make buttons, work with video, make games, or hook it to a database? I could teach you in an afternoon enough to make a website.

Probably make buttons, work with video, and possibly hook it to a database.  But if you could teach me in an afternoon how to make a website, I'm pretty sure that means it's not abominably difficult.

SockmonkeyHolocaust

Quote from: Listener on June 07, 2006, 04:13:02 PM

Probably make buttons, work with video, and possibly hook it to a database.  But if you could teach me in an afternoon how to make a website, I'm pretty sure that means it's not abominably difficult.

Just because I can teach you enough in an afternoon doesn't mean you can learn enough.

Funny story.

I was working with a client who had a ton of video editing experience. My job was to make an online commercial using Flash to his direction. He got so frustrated with me that he announced that he would download the program and do it himself.

Three hours later he called me back and gave me clearer directions about what he wanted and we finished the project.

So have fun with that.

Listener

Quote from: Sockmonkeyholocaust on June 07, 2006, 04:16:49 PM
Quote from: Listener on June 07, 2006, 04:13:02 PM

Just because I can teach you enough in an afternoon doesn't mean you can learn enough.

Funny story.

I was working with a client who had a ton of video editing experience. My job was to make an online commercial using Flash to his direction. He got so frustrated with me that he announced that he would download the program and do it himself.

Three hours later he called me back and gave me clearer directions about what he wanted and we finished the project.

So have fun with that.

I see your point.

I'm going to pick up a flash book tomorrow and skim it while I'm at the office.  At least it would help to know some terminology.

SockmonkeyHolocaust

swolt

I made a flash video with a worm crawling across the screen. It was very easy. That's all I've ever done with flash.

So if your job requires you to make a video of a worm crawling across the screen, I'm your guy.
A clever man commits no minor blunders.

nishi

Quote from: swolt on June 07, 2006, 04:35:18 PM
I made a flash video with a worm crawling across the screen. It was very easy. That's all I've ever done with flash.

So if your job requires you to make a video of a worm crawling across the screen, I'm your guy.

more jobs should be like that, really.
"we left the motherland to settle a colony on Juntoo.  hats with belt buckles."
-catchr

<- this is a prankapple.

swolt

Quote from: nishi on June 07, 2006, 05:08:03 PM

that's what I do at work all day. I love my job

Gamplayerx

Quote from: swolt on June 07, 2006, 05:16:56 PM

All day, every day, you make flash videos of worms?  Crawling worms?  I'd think you'd get crawling worm burnout.  Maybe want to try a dancing worm or a hopping worm or even a zombie worm every once in a while.

Beefy

Well, Wonder Woman's outfit is pretty revealing...

Alice

I don't think you're going to find a job if you keep applying for jobs you aren't qualified for.

swolt

Quote from: Gamplayerx on June 07, 2006, 05:20:14 PM

All day, every day, you make flash videos of worms?  Crawling worms?  I'd think you'd get crawling worm burnout.  Maybe want to try a dancing worm or a hopping worm or even a zombie worm every once in a while.

no, crawling worms only. In fact it's only ONE worm. He travels alot. Next week he'll be in bangcok

dazie

Learning Flash itself isn't hard.  Learning Flash WELL takes time and effort.

I can make "postcards" well enough to get the point across, but I don't consider myself Flash-fluent. 

I don't think you can learn it from a book.
"Pinky, are you pondering what I'm pondering?"
I think so, Brain, but how will we get the Spice Girls into the paella?

ReBurn

Quote from: swolt on June 07, 2006, 07:06:23 PM
Quote from: Gamplayerx on June 07, 2006, 05:20:14 PM

no, crawling worms only. In fact it's only ONE worm. He travels alot. Next week he'll be in bangcok
No wonder "they" complained.  Sheesh.
11:42:24 [Gamplayerx] I keep getting knocked up.
11:42:28 [Gamplayerx] Er. OUT!

Gamplayerx

Post the crawling worm already.  GJosh.

ReBurn

I brought it home from work and installed it.  I got frustrated with it pretty quickly and then I uninstalled it.

swolt

Quote from: Gamplayerx on June 07, 2006, 10:06:49 PM
Post the crawling worm already.  GJosh.

I was in high school when I made that. It's long gone.

Gamplayerx

I thought you made worms all day every day.  Wait, you're not being disingenuous with me, are you?

swolt

Quote from: Gamplayerx on June 07, 2006, 10:09:44 PM
I thought you made worms all day every day.  Wait, you're not being disingenuous with me, are you?
:angel:

Gamplayerx

Quote from: swolt on June 07, 2006, 10:15:45 PM
Wait a cotton picking second.  You also said "in high school."  You ARE being disingenuous with me.  LIAR!!

swolt

Quote from: Gamplayerx on June 07, 2006, 10:17:41 PM
Wait a cotton picking second.  You also said "in high school."  You ARE being disingenuous with me.  LIAR!!

I was in high school. Home school high school.

Gamplayerx

Quote from: swolt on June 07, 2006, 10:21:35 PM

Some high school.  You spelled Bangkok wrong earlier.

CITIZENS DEMAND WORMS!

ReBurn

Quote from: Gamplayerx on June 07, 2006, 10:23:42 PM
Quote from: swolt on June 07, 2006, 10:21:35 PM

Some high school.  You spelled Bangkok wrong earlier.

CITIZENS DEMAND WORMS!
His earlier post managed to kick off that stupid "One Night in Bangkok' song in my head!  Thanks a lot swolt!

Gamplayerx