News:

Do you all even read these?

Main Menu

CPU fannination

Started by Listener, July 29, 2005, 12:28:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Listener

Okay, so is it just me, or does anyone else have a CPU fan problem with laptops running XP Pro and SP2?  Every time I load up my word processor (Corel WP Office OR MS Word) and start to write the CPU fan goes ballistic.  It chops out 2 hours of battery power.

It's weird, cos this doesn't happen when I'm watching movies on airplanes.

ReBurn

I've noticed something similar.  Within about 5 minutes of starting up Word or Access the fan in my Dell D600 starts up and it cycles on and off about every 5 minutes.
11:42:24 [Gamplayerx] I keep getting knocked up.
11:42:28 [Gamplayerx] Er. OUT!

Listener

Yeah, I have an Inspiron 5160 by Dell.

Maybe it's a Dell thing.

I get envious... my best friend has a powerbook, and he can run for hours and hours at full brightness with movies and sound and downloads and never needs to plug in.

Bishamonten

I believe there are third party applications for managing the fans on Dell Laptops.  At the very least, I know they exist in Linux, because I use them.

Listener

Quote from: Bishamonten on July 29, 2005, 12:35:14 PM
I believe there are third party applications for managing the fans on Dell Laptops. At the very least, I know they exist in Linux, because I use them.

Yeah, if I was smart, I'd use Linux.  But I'm not that smart, unfortunately.

Even with the fan on it gets pretty damn hot back there.

But then, I'm using a desktop chip.  I didn't buy a laptop to be light or thin; you could bludgeon someone to death with my laptop.  It's heavy and big.  I only got it so I could lug it places. 

Bishamonten

Quote from: Listener on July 29, 2005, 12:41:55 PM
I believe there are third party applications for managing the fans on Dell Laptops. At the very least, I know they exist in Linux, because I use them.

Yeah, if I was smart, I'd use Linux.  But I'm not that smart, unfortunately.

But then, I'm using a desktop chip.  I didn't buy a laptop to be light or thin; you could bludgeon someone to death with my laptop.  It's heavy and big.  I only got it so I could lug it places. 
Yea, mine too.  I have the Inspiron 8200.  It's a brick.  Look around for Dell Fan apps.  Surely someone has one for Win32.

Beefy

Careful saying things like that to Bish.

Listener

Quote from: Bishamonten on July 29, 2005, 12:43:22 PM

Yeah, if I was smart, I'd use Linux. But I'm not that smart, unfortunately.

But then, I'm using a desktop chip. I didn't buy a laptop to be light or thin; you could bludgeon someone to death with my laptop. It's heavy and big. I only got it so I could lug it places.
Yea, mine too. I have the Inspiron 8200. It's a brick. Look around for Dell Fan apps. Surely someone has one for Win32.

I would just worry that shutting off the fan would melt through the table or something.  Or mess up my power converter, which is why I had to Lemon-Law my 5150 and get the 5160.