News:

Never argue with a fool. People might not know the difference.

Main Menu

What a craptastic day

Started by Youphoric, May 25, 2005, 02:00:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Youphoric

Alright, issue #2.

Youphoric.com is down. 

Little back story - The site (and hosting) was a present from a friend, who now is on a lesser "friend" scale.  But we still talk.  Occasionally.

So, now that the site is down for whatever reason, I email said person and ask two questions.

#1) How do I get the site back online.
#2) How do I go about handling all aspects of the site.  (i.e. hosting it, domain registration, etc. so that I don't have to rely on that person.)

This person seems to be ignoring me.

I'm not happy.

Do you all know of anything I can do?  I can't even access my cpanel.

cnamon

I can offer no techincal help.

I can only hug and offer to bust kneecaps.

Alice

Sorry hun, everything I know about computers I learned from DS.

dc

I can help you with most of it, except for getting into the server it's currently on.  I think I still have some hosting space left, depending on how much space and bandwidth you need.

Youphoric

Quote from: dc on May 25, 2005, 02:05:23 PM
I can help you with most of it, except for getting into the server it's currently on.  I think I still have some hosting space left, depending on how much space and bandwidth you need.
If this person keeps ignoring me, do I have any avenues to take?  Or am I screwed?

dc

Quote from: Youphoric on May 25, 2005, 02:08:17 PM
If this person keeps ignoring me, do I have any avenues to take?  Or am I screwed?

You'll have to tell him that you want to pull the files out of it and transfer the registration.  I know for sure that I can't help you with that.  I checked the registration, and there's no way in hell they'll respond to anything from me.

Infobahn

Who owns teh domain name?  There are website harvesting programs.

dc

Quote from: Infobahn on May 25, 2005, 02:13:19 PM
Who owns teh domain name?  There are website harvesting programs.

Her friend owns the domain name.  It hasn't been harvested.

Infobahn

Youphoric

Quote from: dc on May 25, 2005, 02:10:23 PM

You'll have to tell him that you want to pull the files out of it and transfer the registration.  I know for sure that I can't help you with that.  I checked the registration, and there's no way in hell they'll respond to anything from me.
Thanks for checking.  :( I really hope this isn't a vindictive measure prompted by some...others.

Info, what is the harvester thing?

Infobahn

There are programs (hell, Frontpage does it) that can cull all of the code and images off of a website and put them on your harddrive.

The only issue then, is getting the domain moved.

ETW: That assumes the site is running - you might be able to cull off of the wayback machine website.

dc

Quote from: Youphoric on May 25, 2005, 02:18:54 PM
Quote from: dc on May 25, 2005, 02:10:23 PM

Thanks for checking.  :( I really hope this isn't a vindictive measure prompted by some...others.

Info, what is the harvester thing?

I'm not going to speculate on that, but I know what you mean.  Just let me know if you can get him to respond, and we can get you transferred pretty quickly.

Youphoric

Quote from: Infobahn on May 25, 2005, 02:20:41 PM
There are programs (hell, Frontpage does it) that can cull all of the code and images off of a website and put them on your harddrive.

ETW: That assumes the site is running - you might be able to cull off of the wayback machine website.
Yeah, I can't access anything.

And I don't actually have any pages up, yet.  This is more of a "behind the scenes" site that has a spot for my guild on WoW and other things.

dc

Quote from: Youphoric on May 25, 2005, 02:36:56 PM

And I don't actually have any pages up, yet.  This is more of a "behind the scenes" site that has a spot for my guild on WoW and other things.

A DNS search is telling me that it's a server failure, so who knows what's going on with it.

Youphoric

Quote from: dc on May 25, 2005, 02:40:59 PM

A DNS search is telling me that it's a server failure, so who knows what's going on with it.
Well, if he responds, I'll let you know ASAP, if not...... well..... I only have a few months more onthe domain registration, I believe, so if it's a yearly renewal, I'll grab it then.

cnamon

Did you try to see if any of that person's domains were up and running?

Bennyhana

Is it possible that the dude's email server is on the same machine?  That would explain why you're not getting any responses, if the server is down.

Youphoric

Quote from: Bennyhana on May 25, 2005, 02:47:43 PM
Is it possible that the dude's email server is on the same machine?  That would explain why you're not getting any responses, if the server is down.
Well, one of the sites is not there.  That certainly could explain it, but I also IMed the person.

dc

Quote from: Youphoric on May 25, 2005, 02:45:25 PM

Well, if he responds, I'll let you know ASAP, if not...... well..... I only have a few months more onthe domain registration, I believe, so if it's a yearly renewal, I'll grab it then.

July 6 is when it's up.  Might not be available instantly, though.  You could always grab the .net or .org names, though.

Youphoric

Quote from: dc on May 25, 2005, 02:59:33 PM

July 6 is when it's up.  Might not be available instantly, though.  You could always grab the .net or .org names, though.
How do you find these things out?  How soon is a domain available?  If I have to re-register it and get a new host, I'm assuming I'll lose all files, correct?  And what kind of hosting service do you have?  Rather, what is the interface?  Is it easy to create pages and design them or am I better off using dreamweaver and copying/pasting the resulting code?

dc

Quote from: Youphoric on May 25, 2005, 03:02:17 PM

How do you find these things out?  How soon is a domain available?  If I have to re-register it and get a new host, I'm assuming I'll lose all files, correct?  And what kind of hosting service do you have?  Rather, what is the interface?  Is it easy to create pages and design them or am I better off using dreamweaver and copying/pasting the resulting code?

If you have to reregister and switch hosts, you're starting with new space.  It all depends on getting access to your files there.  They can almost always be placed on a new server, but if you can't get them, of course you'll have to start over.

What I have is server space that I can give out or resell.  Each space has its own URL, its own space and its own control panel.  The interface is CPanel.  There's no sitebuilder there, but I have yet to see a sitebuilder on a host that even comes close to Dreamweaver. 

Youphoric

Quote from: dc on May 25, 2005, 03:49:17 PM
Quote from: Youphoric on May 25, 2005, 03:02:17 PM

If you have to reregister and switch hosts, you're starting with new space.  It all depends on getting access to your files there.  They can almost always be placed on a new server, but if you can't get them, of course you'll have to start over.

What I have is server space that I can give out or resell.  Each space has its own URL, its own space and its own control panel.  The interface is CPanel.  There's no sitebuilder there, but I have yet to see a sitebuilder on a host that even comes close to Dreamweaver. 

Cpanel is fine by me. 

I just have to dig up my Dreamweaver disc.  Arg.

Dry then Catch

Quote from: Youphoric on May 25, 2005, 02:00:36 PM
Alright, issue #2.

Youphoric.com is down. 

Little back story - The site (and hosting) was a present from a friend, who now is on a lesser "friend" scale.  But we still talk.  Occasionally.

So, now that the site is down for whatever reason, I email said person and ask two questions.

#1) How do I get the site back online.
#2) How do I go about handling all aspects of the site.  (i.e. hosting it, domain registration, etc. so that I don't have to rely on that person.)

This person seems to be ignoring me.

I'm not happy.

Do you all know of anything I can do?  I can't even access my cpanel.

i guess its back to limewire for my fodder