News:

Speaking as a chick, I just can't get enough of the wang bone.

Main Menu

Review: Fantastic Four

Started by Beef, July 16, 2005, 08:20:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Beefy

If you had told me this morning that the film I'd end up liking more today was FF, I would laughed at you.

Joke's on me.  I had a good time.

It's not high art, by any means.  It's not even particularly inventive.  But it does get the tone right.  FF has always been more lighthearted and about the difficulties of family interaction.  The film centers on that.

They get Reed and the Human Torch dead on.  Surprisingly, while I was completely unable to buy off on Jessica Alba as a scientist, she didn't hoover to the level I was expecting.  And I even bought off on the Thing costume until the scene where he meets Alicia in the bar.  When she "reads" his face you can see the 'stone' costume give under her touch.

They completely altered Dr. Doom, but I really don't think that's that big of an issue.

All in all, it's a fairly harmless family superhero entertainment flick.  The audience I was with applauded at the end.  I can see why it is popular, and I can see why they already greenlit the sequel.

Once again, completely diminished expectations have caused me to enjoy a film I thought I'd loathe.

Gamplayerx

I've never heard the phrase "buy off" before.

VikingJuice

Quote from: Beefy on July 16, 2005, 08:20:43 PM
If you had told me this morning that the film I'd end up liking more today was FF, I would laughed at you.

Joke's on me.  I had a good time.

It's not high art, by any means.  It's not even particularly inventive.  But it does get the tone right.  FF has always been more lighthearted and about the difficulties of family interaction.  The film centers on that.

They get Reed and the Human Torch dead on.  Surprisingly, while I was completely unable to buy off on Jessica Alba as a scientist, she didn't hoover to the level I was expecting.  And I even bought off on the Thing costume until the scene where he meets Alicia in the bar.  When she "reads" his face you can see the 'stone' costume give under her touch.

They completely altered Dr. Doom, but I really don't think that's that big of an issue.

All in all, it's a fairly harmless family superhero entertainment flick.  The audience I was with applauded at the end.  I can see why it is popular, and I can see why they already greenlit the sequel.

Once again, completely diminished expectations have caused me to enjoy a film I thought I'd loathe.

After I saw the preview, I was wishing she'd "hoover" me!!

dc

Quote from: vikingjuice on July 17, 2005, 09:17:22 PM

Dress you up in woman's clothing and put you in charge of the FBI?

VikingJuice

Quote from: dc on July 17, 2005, 09:20:48 PM
Quote from: vikingjuice on July 17, 2005, 09:17:22 PM

Dress you up in woman's clothing and put you in charge of the FBI?

Sure, I guess that wouldn't be bad.....**cough** **cough** watergate **cough**

Beefy

ReBurn

Don't worry.  I'll go see that one, too.
11:42:24 [Gamplayerx] I keep getting knocked up.
11:42:28 [Gamplayerx] Er. OUT!

Beefy

ReBurn

sapphirehart

I just watched this tonight with the boys and their friends.  It was pretty cool and I was disappointed that it was over at the end.  I can't wait for the next movie.  I liked it

I especially liked Michael Chiklis and Julian McMahon.   Two of my favorite actors from FX (The Shield and Nip/Tuck).

pumpkineye

dammit Steve get out of my head!  I was supposed to watch this last night, but was not all excited about it, so we watched adult swim stuff instead... but now I will not be so hesitant to watch it.

Beefy

Quote from: pumpkineye on February 18, 2006, 12:47:01 AM
dammit Steve get out of my head!  I was supposed to watch this last night, but was not all excited about it, so we watched adult swim stuff instead... but now I will not be so hesitant to watch it.

If your expectations are completely diminished, then yeah, it's no brainer fun.

Also, I stumbled across this.  Rumor has it that it is concept art for part 2, though I am doubtful.  Also, they're saying Keanu will be offered the role of the Silver Surfer, which would be perfect casting.

[attachment deleted by admin]

ReBurn

I want to be Galactus when I grow up.

Yet, some thick silver skin might be appealing.  I guess the downside is the total lack of a penis.

Alice

Quote from: ReBurn on February 21, 2006, 11:51:35 PM
I guess the downside is the total lack of a penis.
Like you even use that anymore.  ::)

ReBurn

Alice

Quote from: ReBurn on February 23, 2006, 10:46:12 AM
Quote from: Alice on February 22, 2006, 12:19:20 PM
Quote from: ReBurn on February 21, 2006, 11:51:35 PM
I guess the downside is the total lack of a penis.
Like you even use that anymore.  ::)
:'(
I'm sorry.  It's not easy being a eunuch.  (I said euchre at first.  :))

Beefy

ReBurn

Beefy

ReBurn

Awesome!  I'm going to make that my desktop when I get home.

eo000

VikingJuice

ReBurn

ReBurn

Silver Surfer is one of my favorite characters ever! I hope Galactus eats us all!

Beefy

eo000

eo000

eo000

dazie

Quote from: eo000 on May 02, 2007, 07:20:15 AM

She looks like Denise Richards' little whorey sister in this one.
"Pinky, are you pondering what I'm pondering?"
I think so, Brain, but how will we get the Spice Girls into the paella?

eo000

how's that whorey? is she showing too much neck?

dazie

The fake blue eyes- when someone goes to obvious lengths like that, it always looks whorey to me.

She looks quite nice, except for the eyes.

Beefy

Trying to make Jessica Alba look like an intellectual is like trying to make Denise Richards look like an intellectual - laughable.

Someone like Rachel McAdams would have been more believable in the part.  Alba is too shallow/vapid in the eyes. 

Then again, she isn't the reason I'd be seeing the film anyways.

eo000

Quote from: Beefy on May 02, 2007, 08:12:15 AM
she isn't the reason I'd be seeing the film anyways.

sorry....

for beefy:

dazie

Quote from: Beefy on May 02, 2007, 08:12:15 AM
Trying to make Jessica Alba look like an intellectual is like trying to make Denise Richards look like an intellectual - laughable.

Like this?

Jessie

She reminds me of Shannon Elizabeth in Jay and Silent Bob Strike Back in those pictures.
we should have kept the quote pyramid up to rape Jessie in the face.

Alice

I <3 Elizabeth Shue.  My best halloween costume ever was as her in Adventures.

dazie

Quote from: Alice on May 02, 2007, 08:31:40 AM

I like her, but I don't see her as being a cold fusion expert...

eo000

so really pretty girls can't be really smart girls?

shallow indeed.

buncha sexist pigs.

dazie

Quote from: eo000 on May 02, 2007, 08:37:32 AM

shallow indeed.

buncha sexist pigs.

Not at all what I was saying.  Pretty girls can be smart, smart girls can be pretty.  HOLLYWOOD'S version of pretty and smart gives us "Christmas Jones" in her cutoff wife beater and rock hard abs.  We get CSI babes trotting around crime scenes in stilletto heels and Dolce and Gabbana cleavage.  We get Jessica Alba drastically caucasianed-up and looking somewhat like one of the Wayans brothers in "White Chicks"  We see a supposed physicist stumbling and stammering while dressed as a pedophile's dream...

Alice

Quote from: dazie on May 02, 2007, 08:35:07 AM
Quote from: Alice on May 02, 2007, 08:31:40 AM

I like her, but I don't see her as being a cold fusion expert...
Most Harvard Grads aren't.

eo000

Quote from: dazie on May 02, 2007, 08:46:12 AM

shallow indeed.

buncha sexist pigs.

Not at all what I was saying.  Pretty girls can be smart, smart girls can be pretty.  HOLLYWOOD'S version of pretty and smart gives us "Christmas Jones" in her cutoff wife beater and rock hard abs.  We get CSI babes trotting around crime scenes in stilletto heels and Dolce and Gabbana cleavage.  We get Jessica Alba drastically caucasianed-up and looking somewhat like one of the Wayans brothers in "White Chicks"  We see a supposed physicist stumbling and stammering while dressed as a pedophile's dream...

first whorey because a part mexican, part french/danish chick has blue contacts, now pediophile's dream?

what's pedo about it????

dazie

Quote from: eo000 on May 02, 2007, 08:50:54 AM

shallow indeed.

buncha sexist pigs.

first whorey because a part mexican, part french/danish chick has blue contacts, now pediophile's dream?

what's pedo about it????

Not her- Dr. Emma Russell with her knee socks and Catholic schoolgirl dresses. 

swolt

Quote from: eo000 on May 02, 2007, 08:50:54 AM

shallow indeed.

buncha sexist pigs.

what's pedo about it????

can we get a lock on this thread? I agree with eo, this is getting very sexiest and it is making me uncomfortable. Woman can be both attractive and smart.
A clever man commits no minor blunders.

dazie

Are you serious about the lock?

If so, I'll shut up.

Alice

I don't think we need a lock on a Fantastic Four thread.  I think if people want to continue discussing this, it can be done in a different thread.

/$.02

swolt

Quote from: dazie on May 02, 2007, 08:54:50 AM

If so, I'll shut up.

no of course I'm not serious. I'm just joking.

Alice

Quote from: swolt on May 02, 2007, 09:01:47 AM

If so, I'll shut up.

Oh dear God.  I thought you were serious.

*smacks you*

Jessie

Alice and Dazie are hot!

because they're obviously dumb.
we should have kept the quote pyramid up to rape Jessie in the face.

Alice

Quote from: Jessie on May 02, 2007, 09:07:42 AM
Alice and Dazie are hot!

I'll cut you, Red.

dazie

Quote from: Jessie on May 02, 2007, 09:07:42 AM
Alice and Dazie are hot!

Takes one to know one!

swolt

Quote from: Alice on May 02, 2007, 09:06:13 AM

If so, I'll shut up.

*smacks you*

*bends over*

do it again

Alice

Quote from: swolt on May 02, 2007, 09:21:16 AM
Quote from: Alice on May 02, 2007, 09:06:13 AM

If so, I'll shut up.

*smacks you*

*bends over*

do it again
Beefy is right, you do slouch.

*bends over, slaps your face again*

Beefy

shallow indeed.

buncha sexist pigs.

Rachel McAdams is really pretty and I would buy her as a smart person.  Like I said, intellectuals don't usually have that vapid model look in their eyes.

Beefy

It was okay.  The Surfer was cool, but hearing Morpheus' voice come out of him was weird.  Galactus was just fine.  Yes, you could the shadow of the helmet across Saturn and yes you can catch glimpses of him amidst the storm at the end.

They unwisely brought back Doom, using a ludicrous rationale.  Alba still sucked.  The "comedy" was ratcheted up this time.  Meh.

They've started looking at a solo Surfer flick.  I don't know how they'd do it.  It would look cool, at the very least.

VikingJuice

Quote from: Beefy on June 24, 2007, 01:48:19 PM
It was okay.  The Surfer was cool, but hearing Morpheus' voice come out of him was weird.  Galactus was just fine.  Yes, you could the shadow of the helmet across Saturn and yes you can catch glimpses of him amidst the storm at the end.

They unwisely brought back Doom, using a ludicrous rationale.  Alba still sucked.  The "comedy" was ratcheted up this time.  Meh.

They've started looking at a solo Surfer flick.  I don't know how they'd do it.  It would look cool, at the very least.

Ohhh Mama!!

Beefy

I can't believe there are people who didn't spot Galactus in the cloud.   :bonk:

swolt

Quote from: Beefy on June 25, 2007, 09:50:57 AM
I can't believe there are people who didn't spot Galactus in the cloud.   :bonk:

I could make out his outline but I didn't see the horns.

Of course at that point I was so bored I didn't really care.

Beefy

Quote from: swolt on June 25, 2007, 10:11:48 AM
Quote from: Beefy on June 25, 2007, 09:50:57 AM

I could make out his outline but I didn't see the horns.

Of course at that point I was so bored I didn't really care.

When the cloud moves across Saturn and throws the shadow, it's in the shape of Galactus' helmet.  Later at the end, you can catch glimpses of him in the cloud, and in the long shot that looks at him eating the Earth from a distance, there is a clearing in clouds on the left side of the screen through which you can clearly see his armor.

I wasn't bored anymore at that point.  I didn't care about whether the FF perished and died, but at least I was getting my Surfer and Galactus for a few moments.  It doesn't excuse the overwheling mediocrity leading up to it, but I still got to see it on the big screen.

ReBurn

I actually liked it. I guess after reading the reviews and seeing what you had to say I wasn't expecting much, so I wasn't disappointed.

The kids liked it, too. But they really want to see Transformers. And Undedog.