News:

I went to the general store.  They wouldn't let me buy anything specific.

Main Menu

Review: Fantastic Four

Started by Beef, July 16, 2005, 08:20:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Beefy

If you had told me this morning that the film I'd end up liking more today was FF, I would laughed at you.

Joke's on me.  I had a good time.

It's not high art, by any means.  It's not even particularly inventive.  But it does get the tone right.  FF has always been more lighthearted and about the difficulties of family interaction.  The film centers on that.

They get Reed and the Human Torch dead on.  Surprisingly, while I was completely unable to buy off on Jessica Alba as a scientist, she didn't hoover to the level I was expecting.  And I even bought off on the Thing costume until the scene where he meets Alicia in the bar.  When she "reads" his face you can see the 'stone' costume give under her touch.

They completely altered Dr. Doom, but I really don't think that's that big of an issue.

All in all, it's a fairly harmless family superhero entertainment flick.  The audience I was with applauded at the end.  I can see why it is popular, and I can see why they already greenlit the sequel.

Once again, completely diminished expectations have caused me to enjoy a film I thought I'd loathe.

Gamplayerx

I've never heard the phrase "buy off" before.

VikingJuice

Quote from: Beefy on July 16, 2005, 08:20:43 PM
If you had told me this morning that the film I'd end up liking more today was FF, I would laughed at you.

Joke's on me.  I had a good time.

It's not high art, by any means.  It's not even particularly inventive.  But it does get the tone right.  FF has always been more lighthearted and about the difficulties of family interaction.  The film centers on that.

They get Reed and the Human Torch dead on.  Surprisingly, while I was completely unable to buy off on Jessica Alba as a scientist, she didn't hoover to the level I was expecting.  And I even bought off on the Thing costume until the scene where he meets Alicia in the bar.  When she "reads" his face you can see the 'stone' costume give under her touch.

They completely altered Dr. Doom, but I really don't think that's that big of an issue.

All in all, it's a fairly harmless family superhero entertainment flick.  The audience I was with applauded at the end.  I can see why it is popular, and I can see why they already greenlit the sequel.

Once again, completely diminished expectations have caused me to enjoy a film I thought I'd loathe.

After I saw the preview, I was wishing she'd "hoover" me!!

dc

Quote from: vikingjuice on July 17, 2005, 09:17:22 PM

Dress you up in woman's clothing and put you in charge of the FBI?

VikingJuice

Quote from: dc on July 17, 2005, 09:20:48 PM
Quote from: vikingjuice on July 17, 2005, 09:17:22 PM

Dress you up in woman's clothing and put you in charge of the FBI?

Sure, I guess that wouldn't be bad.....**cough** **cough** watergate **cough**

Beefy

ReBurn

Don't worry.  I'll go see that one, too.
11:42:24 [Gamplayerx] I keep getting knocked up.
11:42:28 [Gamplayerx] Er. OUT!

Beefy

ReBurn

sapphirehart

I just watched this tonight with the boys and their friends.  It was pretty cool and I was disappointed that it was over at the end.  I can't wait for the next movie.  I liked it

I especially liked Michael Chiklis and Julian McMahon.   Two of my favorite actors from FX (The Shield and Nip/Tuck).

pumpkineye

dammit Steve get out of my head!  I was supposed to watch this last night, but was not all excited about it, so we watched adult swim stuff instead... but now I will not be so hesitant to watch it.

Beefy

Quote from: pumpkineye on February 18, 2006, 12:47:01 AM
dammit Steve get out of my head!  I was supposed to watch this last night, but was not all excited about it, so we watched adult swim stuff instead... but now I will not be so hesitant to watch it.

If your expectations are completely diminished, then yeah, it's no brainer fun.

Also, I stumbled across this.  Rumor has it that it is concept art for part 2, though I am doubtful.  Also, they're saying Keanu will be offered the role of the Silver Surfer, which would be perfect casting.

[attachment deleted by admin]

ReBurn

I want to be Galactus when I grow up.

Yet, some thick silver skin might be appealing.  I guess the downside is the total lack of a penis.

Alice

Quote from: ReBurn on February 21, 2006, 11:51:35 PM
I guess the downside is the total lack of a penis.
Like you even use that anymore.  ::)

ReBurn

Alice

Quote from: ReBurn on February 23, 2006, 10:46:12 AM
Quote from: Alice on February 22, 2006, 12:19:20 PM
Quote from: ReBurn on February 21, 2006, 11:51:35 PM
I guess the downside is the total lack of a penis.
Like you even use that anymore.  ::)
:'(
I'm sorry.  It's not easy being a eunuch.  (I said euchre at first.  :))

Beefy

ReBurn

Beefy

ReBurn

Awesome!  I'm going to make that my desktop when I get home.

eo000

VikingJuice

ReBurn

ReBurn

Silver Surfer is one of my favorite characters ever! I hope Galactus eats us all!