News:

You know, I think that if there was a person you didn't like, and you handed them Wasabi Peas and a Vernor's ginger ale, and told them to inhale the smell of Vernor's through their nose and then take a bite of the Wasabi Peas and then exhale through their nose, you could kill them and totally get away with it.

Main Menu

Can NBC bring back the sitcom

Started by Jessie, January 16, 2006, 08:26:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jessie

They've got Earl and The Office and now they're adding that 4 Kings show.

Maybe the reign of reality is almost over?  I sure hope so.
we should have kept the quote pyramid up to rape Jessie in the face.

ReBurn

I wish someone would bring teh funnay...
11:42:24 [Gamplayerx] I keep getting knocked up.
11:42:28 [Gamplayerx] Er. OUT!

Mr. Ubiquity

Quote from: Jessie on January 16, 2006, 08:26:56 PM
They've got Earl and The Office and now they're adding that 4 Kings show.

Maybe the reign of reality is almost over?  I sure hope so.

the only show that i cared for, reality wise, was Survivor.  All others were pretty much a cheap copy.  However, even survivor got old pretty quick.   I started watchin it the 2nd season and things wernt so bad.  Problem was once the commercial was over, it was just lilke a HS spat that had been video taped for 30 days.   everyone playin everyone else, lying about playing them, and then playin the people they say they had a bargin with, then cryin like a baby when they got played themselves sayin they were cheated when they were being truthful.

Shit, if i need that, i will become a politician.
"if I wank to it, will u feel disgusted or flattered or a perverse combo of both?"

cnamon

Four Kings is getting better...the first one wasn't all that great...the show could work.

I wonder what they will put in Will and Graces time slot...I would love to see Scrubs there.  I always miss it.

Did you know Zach Braff is engaged to Mandy Moore?

Beefy

A better question is does it need to be brought back?

Popularity wanes when stagnation sets in.  It's all variations of the same tired themes.  They need to hire some creative overseers who will shake up what all these programs are like.

BigDun

We Tivo'ed the first two Four Kings and deleted our subscription to them after watching them. It is not funny and the laugh track is horrendous.
16:26:25 [DownSouth] I'm in a monkey rutt

Dry then Catch

lates 70s early 80s Detective Dramas need to come back!!!

Magnum PI takes a seemingly innocuous case.  It doesn't turn out that way.  he has to dress up in a funny outfit.  it seems the badguys have the uppper hand.  not so.  oh higgins

hunter
reminginton steele
Simon and Simon
and many others

Beefy

Quote from: CatchrNdRy on February 03, 2006, 01:35:43 PM
lates 70s early 80s Detective Dramas need to come back!!!

Magnum PI takes a seemingly innocuous case.  It doesn't turn out that way.  he has to dress up in a funny outfit.  it seems the badguys have the uppper hand.  not so.  oh higgins

hunter
reminginton steele
Simon and Simon
and many others

Moonlighting

Dry then Catch

rockford files.  He had A CAR PHONE.

DownSouth

16:15:43 [Gamplayerx] Juneau, I could really go for some pie. You better Belize it!

Alice

If you pay me, I'll make a sitcom for you guys.

And it won't suck as much as The Loop looks like it will.

Listener

I don't know about bringing back the sitcom -- I don't watch sitcoms unless they're animated -- but I think NBC kind of started a trend about three years ago with Las Vegas.  It's basically a sitcom with some dramatic elements and an ensemble cast of hot actors and actresses (and James Caan), and no laugh track.  About 25% of the situations are almost Family-Guy unbelievable, so you are never fooled into thinking that this is a serious show.

Grey's Anatomy and, to a lesser extent, Desperate Housewives go along the same lines:  shows that are primarily funny, but have a serious side. 

One of the problems with the sitcom format is that it's only 22 minutes long -- sometimes less -- because of commercials.  An hour-long show holds 41-44 minutes of programming, which is enough to tell a few stories without making the endings cheesy.  (Not that they sometimes aren't cheesy anyway.)  TV networks will have better luck doing hour-long dramedy (or comama) programming if they're looking to get people interested in funny shows again.

(crossposted to Multiple Mentality)

DownSouth

16:15:43 [Gamplayerx] Juneau, I could really go for some pie. You better Belize it!

eo000

I watched Love Monkey last night. Seems like they followed a sitcom formula making the show, but it wasn't bad. the characters were likable and there are some hot girls.  I'll probably keep watching it.

ReBurn

I keep seeing what Fox is going to be offering up for sitcoms, and it makes me think that NBC may be our only hope.

eo000

last 4 episodes of arrested development are on friday.

Beefy

Quote from: eo000 on February 08, 2006, 07:51:11 AM
I watched Love Monkey last night. Seems like they followed a sitcom formula making the show, but it wasn't bad. the characters were likable and there are some hot girls.  I'll probably keep watching it.

No sitcom will be funnier than your avatar.

cnamon

Love Monkey is going to VH1, Four Kings got the boot, I liked The Loop....I hope it stays.

eo000

Quote from: cnamon on March 30, 2006, 02:17:08 PM
Love Monkey is going to VH1, Four Kings got the boot, I liked The Loop....I hope it stays.
I was reading that the loop did really good on wednesday (immediatly after idol), then lost over half it's veiwers on thursday.

ReBurn

Quote from: eo000 on March 30, 2006, 02:24:49 PM
I was reading that the loop did really good on wednesday (immediatly after idol), then lost over half it's veiwers on thursday.
Then they should move that Unan1mous to Thursday and move The Loop back.

eo000

Quote from: ReBurn on March 30, 2006, 02:25:58 PM
Quote from: eo000 on March 30, 2006, 02:24:49 PM
Then they should move that Unan1mous to Thursday and move The Loop back.
i agree. the loop is really funny. did you catch "teachers" the other day. pretty generic, but funny.

Gamplayerx

Is anybody watching Sons & Daughters?  It's hysterically funny.

eo000

Quote from: Gamplayerx on March 31, 2006, 06:50:31 AM
Is anybody watching Sons & Daughters?  It's hysterically funny.
i caught it once. what night is it on?

Gamplayerx

Tuesdays.  So far, they've had two new 1/2 hour episodes each day.

http://www.treeofnuts.com/