News:

Whenever I think of the past, it brings back so many memories.

Main Menu

Beans & Sausage

Started by Miss Molly, June 18, 2006, 01:53:03 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Miss Molly

I tell y'all what, I made the best damned red beans and sausage (over rice) ever tonight.

If anybody wants the recipe, I'll be happy to post.  I won't just post it, because you gotta really want it. 

The secret is letting the beans soak overnight, and Tony Chachere's.  If you can't get Tony's, then I pity you.

BigDun

I don't guess you have a vegetarian version of the recipe.
16:26:25 [DownSouth] I'm in a monkey rutt

Miss Molly

I suppose you could use veggie sausage or whatever it is that they make, but andouille is what gives it flavor. 

dazie

"Pinky, are you pondering what I'm pondering?"
I think so, Brain, but how will we get the Spice Girls into the paella?

ReBurn

We get Tony's here.  I just never knew what it was used for.
11:42:24 [Gamplayerx] I keep getting knocked up.
11:42:28 [Gamplayerx] Er. OUT!

swolt

Quote from: ReBurn on June 20, 2006, 08:19:26 AM

you can add Tony's to almost anything and make it better. I put it on my burgers.
A clever man commits no minor blunders.

Miss Molly

Ingredients:

1 lb red kidney or white beans
1 lb Andouille Sausage, sliced on a bias
2 large stalks celery, finely chopped/minced
1 large white onion, chopped
1 large handful of parsley leaves, chopped if desired
1/4 cup Tony's (less or more depending on how spicy you like things.  I find 1/4 cup to be perfect for my tastes.)

Rinse off the beans.  Put in a large, deep pot.  Cover with 2 to 3 inches of water.  Bring to a boil for about 10 minutes, and then let soak OVERNIGHT.  Make sure you cover it. 
When ready to cook, add celery, onion, sausage, parsley, and Tony's.  Bring to a boil for 10 to 15 minutes.  Bring it down to a simmer and let cook for no less than 45 minutes; an hour is preferable.  Keep covered and stir occasionally.  If the liquid looks like it's getting low, it's ok to add hot water back in.  The beans should be swimming in liquid while cooking, but not drowning. 
About 5-10 minutes before the hour is up, take between one and two cups of beans (no sausage) and puree very well.  Add the paste back into the pot and stir well.  This thickens the liquid nicely.  Serve over rice. 

This can also be done in a crockpot, but I'm not sure about times and temperatures and all that. 

Oh.. and this makes enough food to feed a small army.  I cooked this saturday night.  Four people dined on it then.  I have since eaten more of it 3 times.  I still have enough for dinner for the rest of the week.

If you don't want to eat beans every night for a week, I suggest halving (or even quartering) the recipe. 

Don't light any fires near my ass.

Miss Molly

Quote from: swolt on June 20, 2006, 10:33:54 AM

you can add Tony's to almost anything and make it better. I put it on my burgers.

Fixed that for you.

swolt

Quote from: Miss Molly on June 20, 2006, 12:37:32 PM
Quote from: swolt on June 20, 2006, 10:33:54 AM

Fixed that for you.
ice cream + tony's = not so good. I've tried it.

DownSouth

16:15:43 [Gamplayerx] Juneau, I could really go for some pie. You better Belize it!

Miss Molly

dazie

Listener

Rinse off the beans.  Put in a large, deep pot.  Cover with 2 to 3 inches of water.  Bring to a boil for about 10 minutes, and then let soak OVERNIGHT.  Make sure you cover it. 

When you're soaking the beans, does the water have to be hot?  Or is it just "soak in the same water that you boiled for 10 minutes before turning off the range"?

Also, you say "cover with 2-3 inches of water"... does that mean add 2-3 inches of water to the pot, or 2-3 inches above the surface level of the beans?

When someone tries this with veggie sausage or another kind of meat, let me know how it is.  My house is pork-free, but I love beans.

DownSouth

16:15:43 [Gamplayerx] Juneau, I could really go for some pie. You better Belize it!

Miss Molly

Quote from: Listener on June 21, 2006, 11:05:55 AM

When you're soaking the beans, does the water have to be hot?  Or is it just "soak in the same water that you boiled for 10 minutes before turning off the range"?

Also, you say "cover with 2-3 inches of water"... does that mean add 2-3 inches of water to the pot, or 2-3 inches above the surface level of the beans?

When someone tries this with veggie sausage or another kind of meat, let me know how it is.  My house is pork-free, but I love beans.

Soak in the same water they were just boiled in

and

2-3 inches above the level of the beans

And I suppose any smoked sausage would work, if you can't have andouille. 

dazie

I just put Tony's on my cheese pizza.  YUM.

My only complaint re: Tony's- very salty.  If it had less salt I'd use more of it.

dazie

Quote from: dlightful on June 22, 2006, 09:41:17 PM
Lite and salt free versions are available from your favorite internet cajun grocer

I didn't know I had one of those.

swolt

Quote from: dazie on June 22, 2006, 09:45:28 PM
Quote from: dlightful on June 22, 2006, 09:41:17 PM
Lite and salt free versions are available from your favorite internet cajun grocer

I didn't know I had one of those.

http://www.cajungrocer.com/spices-seasonings-cajun-creole-c-1_67_69.html

salt free is bottem left

dazie

Excellent.  I'll check around here first to see if the store carries it.  But I also :heart: the Zatarain's version.

Miss Molly

Quote from: dazie on June 22, 2006, 10:13:34 PM
Excellent.  I'll check around here first to see if the store carries it.  But I also :heart: the Zatarain's version.

Every red-blooded southerner knows that Tony's is the only acceptable form of season salt.

dazie

Quote from: Miss Molly on June 22, 2006, 11:05:30 PM

Every red-blooded southerner knows that Tony's is the only acceptable form of season salt.

*lol*  well then, I have an excuse- I'm a dyed in the wool Yankee.

dc

Little known fact -- "season salt" was actually the root cause of the Civil War.

Mr. Ubiquity

YUM..  love the zatarains... we had black beans and rice the other day.   took a wheat tortilla, microwaved it for 30 seconds,  added  a tablespoon of sour cream, sprinkled in some shreadded cheese and scooped in the Zat.  Rolled it up like a burrito... YUM!!
"if I wank to it, will u feel disgusted or flattered or a perverse combo of both?"

Miss Molly

Quote from: dazie on June 22, 2006, 11:06:06 PM

Zatarains is marketed specifically to yankees who can't tell the difference between the fake shit and the real shit.
I ain't never seen a commercial for Tony's.  Why?  Cause it's just understood.   :P

dazie

Quote from: Miss Molly on June 22, 2006, 11:30:29 PM

Zatarains is marketed specifically to yankees who can't tell the difference between the fake shit and the real shit.
I ain't never seen a commercial for Tony's.  Why?  Cause it's just understood.   :P

So what you're saying is I'm too dumb to know the difference?  I'm just clarifying here...

swolt

Quote from: dazie on June 22, 2006, 11:34:06 PM

So what you're saying is I'm too dumb to know the difference?  I'm just clarifying here...

you aren't dumb, you were just born with northern blood. A condition I pity...

Alice

Quote from: swolt on June 23, 2006, 08:36:11 AM

Yeah, it's hard not to be an inbreeder.  ;)

DownSouth

Never heard of Tony's.

swolt

Quote from: DownSouth on June 23, 2006, 08:46:22 AM
Never heard of Tony's.

well I don't consider true south either. Too much carpet bagger blood mixed in..

swolt

Quote from: Alice on June 23, 2006, 08:44:27 AM
Quote from: swolt on June 23, 2006, 08:36:11 AM

Yeah, it's hard not to be an inbreeder.  ;)
a friend of mine got married last week, down here in Baton Rouge. The wedding was great. He and the bride kept making out during the reception. It was cute.
The next day he called me and told me it was over though. I was pretty shocked and asked what happened.
He said when they got home from the wedding they started making out and it was pretty hot. She then told him to be gentle because she was a virgin. He said "can you believe that?" with digust.
"Dude" I said "what's wrong with that?"
"My dad put it best" he replied "'If she ain't good enough for her own family, she ain't good enough for us.'"

Alice

Quote from: swolt on June 23, 2006, 11:34:52 AM
Never heard of Tony's.

well I don't consider true south either. Too much carpet bagger blood mixed in..
I'd like to buy a noun.

swolt

Quote from: Alice on June 23, 2006, 11:41:08 AM
Never heard of Tony's.

well I don't consider georgia true south either. Too much carpet bagger blood mixed in..
I'd like to buy a noun.

Alice

swolt

Quote from: Alice on June 23, 2006, 11:43:50 AM
Quote from: swolt on June 23, 2006, 11:42:18 AM
Quote from: Alice on June 23, 2006, 11:41:08 AM
Never heard of Tony's.

well I don't consider georgia South Carolina true south either. Too much carpet bagger blood mixed in..
I'd like to buy a noun.
shit he is from SC. WTG was I thinking?

Bennyhana

Alice

DownSouth

ReBurn

You know what's good about Columbia?

Yeah, me neither.
11:42:24 [Gamplayerx] I keep getting knocked up.
11:42:28 [Gamplayerx] Er. OUT!

dazie

Quote from: ReBurn on June 23, 2006, 01:30:56 PM
You know what's good about Columbia?

Yeah, me neither.

I've heard it's the gem of the ocean.

Jessie

we should have kept the quote pyramid up to rape Jessie in the face.