News:

Laughter is like changing a baby's diaper. It doesn't permanently solve any problems, but it makes thing more acceptable for awhile.

Main Menu

When sh!t hits the fan...

Started by ursus, December 13, 2007, 04:01:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ursus

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20071213/ap_on_sp_ba_ne/bbo_mitchell_report

Finding a link to the uploaded report now...

*edit*

409 pages of wacky fun!

http://files.mlb.com/mitchrpt.pdf

Play Ball!!!

*edit*
I was just wondering...

Alice

Steroids are as much a part of baseball as the home plate is.

manosax

You know, Babe Ruth didn't need steriods.  He did it the old fashioned way, with lame pitching, booze, cuban cigars, red meat and hookers.... well that's at least according to Denis Leary.. ;D

ursus

Quote from: manosax on December 13, 2007, 04:04:01 PM
You know, Babe Ruth didn't need steriods.  He did it the old fashioned way, with lame pitching, booze, cuban cigars, red meat and hookers.... well that's at least according to Denis Leary.. ;D
Don't forget the "dead" ball.
I was just wondering...

Bennyhana

"The illegal use in baseball of these substances also victimize the majority of players who don't use them. We heard from many former players who believe it was grossly unfair that the users were gaining an advantage," Mitchell said.

Bullshit.  Any one of them could've spoken up and said something.  But none of them ever did.

Jessie

I'll file this under the category Who Cares, as I've done all along.
we should have kept the quote pyramid up to rape Jessie in the face.

ursus

I guess I do.

Dig the game (always have).

Plus, it's a statement on our culture.
I was just wondering...

manosax

I've even seen the preassure at the High School level to increase perfornamce by any means necessary.  There are already "manditory" training schedules year round.  yeesh...

VikingJuice

I hope it rips baseball wide open and eventually forces all sports, professional and below, to adopt legit but reasonable testing policies.  Too many young kids are getting jacked up on this stuff and ruining their health because they idolize these professional gladiators.

ursus

Quote from: VikingJuice on December 14, 2007, 12:08:45 AM
I hope it rips baseball wide open and eventually forces all sports, professional and below, to adopt legit but reasonable testing policies.  Too many young kids are getting jacked up on this stuff and ruining their health because they idolize these professional gladiators.
Spot on.
I was just wondering...

manosax

dazie

Quote from: manosax on December 14, 2007, 03:41:53 PM
Two words.  Lyle Alzado.

Hey!  You leave him out of this.  MHRIP. 

(yes yes- I am well aware of the causes of his death etc...)
"Pinky, are you pondering what I'm pondering?"
I think so, Brain, but how will we get the Spice Girls into the paella?

manosax

I'm just saying that these kids that are trying anytihing to get ahead, thy should use LA as what not to do.  I think that's what he tried to do before he died.

Beefy

Quote from: Jessie on December 13, 2007, 04:39:24 PM
I'll file this under the category Who Cares, as I've done all along.

The problem is that lots of kids idolize these dweebs.  It's like how it's disturbing that kids idolize Paris or Britney.

DownSouth

Quote from: manosax on December 13, 2007, 10:19:59 PM
I've even seen the preassure at the High School level to increase perfornamce by any means necessary.  There are already "manditory" training schedules year round.  yeesh...
I hope your kidding.  Steroids were easier to get than a beer (which we know is easy) in high school.  One dude used to bark when he lifted.  That made most of stay away from them.  I did know some friends that took them though.
16:15:43 [Gamplayerx] Juneau, I could really go for some pie. You better Belize it!

manosax

Quote from: DownSouth on January 14, 2008, 03:43:26 PM
I hope your kidding.  Steroids were easier to get than a beer (which we know is easy) in high school.  One dude used to bark when he lifted.  That made most of stay away from them.  I did know some friends that took them though.

I'm not kidding.  I used to teach at a high school that took most sports, and particularly football, very seriously.  The year round training programs are rampant in that area and they even have competition before the high school level.  There is a "feeder" program for football as well as soccer and kind of one for basketball.  I just hope that the bad press that performance enhancing drugs are getting is taken to hart by the parent s and the coaches.  I forsee a time when all high school atheletes are randomly drug tested for steriods.

DownSouth

Quote from: manosax on January 14, 2008, 03:53:38 PM
Quote from: DownSouth on January 14, 2008, 03:43:26 PM

I'm not kidding.  I used to teach at a high school that took most sports, and particularly football, very seriously.  The year round training programs are rampant in that area and they even have competition before the high school level.  There is a "feeder" program for football as well as soccer and kind of one for basketball.  I just hope that the bad press that performance enhancing drugs are getting is taken to hart by the parent s and the coaches.  I forsee a time when all high school atheletes are randomly drug tested for steriods.
We had intermurial then B team,A team(no BA), then JV and then Varsity.  South is crazy football.  Spring practice and then 2 a days in the summer.
16:15:43 [Gamplayerx] Juneau, I could really go for some pie. You better Belize it!

Jessie

Is it unusual to have pre-high school sports?  Timothy's in his third year of basketball and he's 11.

DownSouth

I started soccer when I was 5 and football at 12.

manosax

For the team at the school where i taught, they met for all but one week in the summer and most holidays.  I think there are rules against excessive practice, but I know that they work these kids hard.  They give them support too but I don't know if I would want my kid to be working that much for a game.

manosax

I played soccer and little league baseball when I was a kid too and my brothers played in PAL basketball, but it wasn't every day and every weekend.

Jessie

I know people that play that much, but to them it's not work.  My boss's son plays baseball, and he's been on almost year round baseball for many, many years.  Right now he's sick and he's missing training at college and hates it.

BigDun

I have a trophy from football when I was 8. Well, I had a trophy. I threw it away last week.
16:26:25 [DownSouth] I'm in a monkey rutt

Beefy

Quote from: manosax on January 14, 2008, 04:15:57 PM
my brothers played in PAL basketball

So it was played in Russian auditoriums?

Bennyhana

Quote from: Beefy on January 14, 2008, 04:34:53 PM
Quote from: manosax on January 14, 2008, 04:15:57 PM
my brothers played in PAL basketball

So it was played in Russian auditoriums?

No, but it had a different refresh rate than regular basketball.

VikingJuice

Quote from: Jessie on January 14, 2008, 04:10:15 PM
Is it unusual to have pre-high school sports?  Timothy's in his third year of basketball and he's 11.

Not in the south it isn't.  Typically, starting in 7th grade, the major sports are available to the kids through organized school programs.  I started playing baseball and basketball by the age of 7 and joined the Jr. High basketball team in 7th.  Depending on the particular program, some kids get pushed/practiced way too hard.  In the programs I've been associated with, the kids got worked hard but not excessively.