News:

9/8/05: 6 months, 75,000 posts! Thanks to Nishi for the post!

Main Menu

When Major Characters Die

Started by Listener, November 10, 2005, 09:32:04 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Listener

My friend Vanessa posted in her LiveJournal:

QuoteQUIT KILLING OFF MAJOR CHARACTERS, YOU FUCKING ASSHOLES! WHAT THE FUCK!

Which means that someone died on Lost last night.

Obviously this is being discussed in the Lost Discussion thread, which I will not read because I'm three weeks behind.

However, we have ABC on all the time at work, because when local news breaks, they break in first and most accurately.  Which means I'll be seeing promos of "after the loss of (character), how will the rest of the scooby gang deal with (situation)"?

I'm pretty sure I know who it is, because there was some pretty heavy foreshadowing in the "lost wedding ring" episode from a few weeks back.

This is the one way in which my system of watching TV fails:  sometimes we'll see promos that spoil it for us.  And, because we use tapes instead of TiVo (since we have several shows on at the same time on multiple days), we can't just watch three straight hours of Lost to find out who's dead and why.  Using tapes ensures that we'll actually watch all of our shows, instead of deferring them to the "maybe later" section and instead watch three straight episodes of ER or Without a Trace.

Oh well.

(crossposted to my blog)

Beefy

With the cult of popularity growing around the show, and thusly the coverage it gets on TV outside the actual show, dodging spoilers is going to be nearly impossible.

Last night's TF Lost thread was past 400 posts when I last looked.

You and your wife may want to reconsider waiting so long and trying to keep up, just to protect yourselves.  Or resign yourself to spoilers.  As the show gets bigger, I can only imagine your troubles will increase.

Besides, we'd love for you to participate in the main thread.

ignom

I still haven't seen the last season of Six Feet Under, but I almost lost interest after I heard that Nate died.
Underneath this flabby exterior is an enormous lack of character.

dc

Quote from: ignom on November 10, 2005, 10:57:21 AM
I still haven't seen the last season of Six Feet Under, but I almost lost interest after I heard that Nate died.

Nallen's dead?

Beefy

Quote from: dc on November 10, 2005, 10:58:59 AM

Nallen's dead?

He's dead to me, and that's all that matters.

Gamplayerx

Poor Nallen.  I guess he took my "try fire" suggestion to solve his chemical separation dilemma after all.

dc

Quote from: Beefy on November 10, 2005, 10:59:26 AM

Nallen's dead?

I thought all of society was dead to you.

Beefy

Quote from: dc on November 10, 2005, 11:14:14 AM
Quote from: Beefy on November 10, 2005, 10:59:26 AM

Nallen's dead?

I thought all of society was dead to you.

And?

Alice

MOTHER FUCKER!!!

Listener

Quote from: Beefy on November 10, 2005, 10:55:53 AM

With the cult of popularity growing around the show, and thusly the coverage it gets on TV outside the actual show, dodging spoilers is going to be nearly impossible.

Last night's TF Lost thread was past 400 posts when I last looked.

You and your wife may want to reconsider waiting so long and trying to keep up, just to protect yourselves.  Or resign yourself to spoilers.  As the show gets bigger, I can only imagine your troubles will increase.

Besides, we'd love for you to participate in the main thread.

Yeah, I understand the point.  The thing is, we have four tapes running that we actually watch, and Lost is right in the middle.  For me to shift Lost to an earlier tape wouldn't be too difficult (just switch VCRs 1 & 2), but to pull the tapes out and watch them out of order would mess things up all around, especially since she really isn't into Lost as much as I am.

After about a week, I come to expect spoilers.  Not such a big deal.  But I avoid them when I can.

ignom

I watched the first 28 episodes of Lost in three days. You're just a wuss.
Underneath this flabby exterior is an enormous lack of character.

BigDun

Get a Tivo. We have a 450 hour unit and it's wonderful.
16:26:25 [DownSouth] I'm in a monkey rutt

Listener

Quote from: BigDun on November 10, 2005, 06:17:31 PM
Get a Tivo. We have a 450 hour unit and it's wonderful.

Can it tape two shows at the same time?  Three?  Four?

I only ask because there are some nights when we tape as many as three or four shows at the same time.

BigDun

Our new Tivo can record two shows simultaneously. Plus, we have the old Tivo upstairs so we can use it to catch a third program. We can also switch the input on our TV to the antenna and watch any of the locally broadcast programming live.
16:26:25 [DownSouth] I'm in a monkey rutt

Listener

Hmm.

Well, we have Comcast, so they offer a DVR cheaply... if they have one that can record everything we need at all the times we need, it might be worth it to upgrade.  Maybe.

Gamplayerx

Quote from: Listener on November 10, 2005, 07:48:14 PM
Hmm.

Well, we have Comcast, so they offer a DVR cheaply... if they have one that can record everything we need at all the times we need, it might be worth it to upgrade.  Maybe.
We have a Comcast DVR - it has two tuners, we usually record two shows and watch something previously recorded. 

Jessie

I'm gonna have to learn to work my VCR before I go back to working Wednesday nights.
we should have kept the quote pyramid up to rape Jessie in the face.

Listener

Quote from: Gamplayerx on November 11, 2005, 07:23:28 AM
Hmm.

We have a Comcast DVR - it has two tuners, we usually record two shows and watch something previously recorded. 

This is promising.  How much more does it cost for the DVR?  Does it work with non-digital TV?  And you say you record two shows and watch a third?  So you have two inputs and another output that's totally unrelated to the inputs?

I believe in research via word-of-mouth advertising...:)

Gamplayerx

Quote from: Listener on November 11, 2005, 12:38:49 PM
Hmm.

This is promising.  How much more does it cost for the DVR?  Does it work with non-digital TV?  And you say you record two shows and watch a third?  So you have two inputs and another output that's totally unrelated to the inputs?

Listener

Quote from: Gamplayerx on November 11, 2005, 12:46:41 PM
Hmm.

Did I miss something?  Or were you calling attention to a vague, unintentional sex-related joke with my second-to-last sentence?

Gamplayerx

Quote from: Listener on November 11, 2005, 12:52:23 PM
Hmm.

Did I miss something?  Or were you calling attention to a vague, unintentional sex-related joke with my second-to-last sentence?
Damnit, eo!!  Stop breaking Junto while I'm making very intelligent posts.

I'm sorry, Listener.  What I said before eo loused it all up was something like the following:

I believe the cost of the DVR is the same or about the same as the regular cable box.  We can record two shows and watch a previously recorded show at the same time, can only have 2 live shows going on at once - there are only two tuners (but we have an old TiVo upstairs that we can record on, too).  When you say "non-digital TV" do you mean the TV itself or the non-digital channels? 

ReBurn

I *heart* my cable-company issued DVR.
11:42:24 [Gamplayerx] I keep getting knocked up.
11:42:28 [Gamplayerx] Er. OUT!

Listener

Quote from: Gamplayerx on November 11, 2005, 07:59:19 PM
Quote from: Listener on November 11, 2005, 12:52:23 PM
Hmm.

Damnit, eo!!  Stop breaking Junto while I'm making very intelligent posts.

I'm sorry, Listener.  What I said before eo loused it all up was something like the following:

I believe the cost of the DVR is the same or about the same as the regular cable box.  We can record two shows and watch a previously recorded show at the same time, can only have 2 live shows going on at once - there are only two tuners (but we have an old TiVo upstairs that we can record on, too).  When you say "non-digital TV" do you mean the TV itself or the non-digital channels? 

I mean non-digital TV.

I looked it up on Comcast's site.  Their DVR only records from a Digital Box.

I figured it out, and for High Speed Internet, Basic Digital, and a DVR, it would be $125 plus tax per month for our cable.

I'm willing to try it out, but I broached the subject with the wife, and she's totally against it.  Of course, she's also bitchy at me for stuff that happened this morning (I was grumpy while we drove the cats to the vet, and I guess I must have said something she didn't approve of, so she's still completely closed off, arms folded, face set straight toward the TV, a position I'm very familiar with), so that might have had something to do with it.

Maybe next season, if the prices go down, we'll switch to DVR, but this year, we're stuck with tapes.  *shrug*

Gamplayerx

That's too bad.  Hang on, I need to scroll through my recorded probrams.  :D

DownSouth

We get free DVR with digital cable.
16:15:43 [Gamplayerx] Juneau, I could really go for some pie. You better Belize it!