News:

mmmhhphh hmmph I chhoudnph hcjear youph wiff fis crunphing in my mouphthmph.

Main Menu

What was ABC thinking?

Started by Beef, July 05, 2005, 07:12:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Beefy

http://www.cnn.com/2005/SHOWBIZ/TV/07/04/tv.theneighborhood.ap/index.html

Is this a reflection of ABC or just how jacked up we're allowing our culture to get?

eo000

They were pushing that show hard during the NBA finals. I couldn't believe they actually as far as they did.

ignom

I'd never heard of it til it was already cancelled.
Underneath this flabby exterior is an enormous lack of character.

ReBurn

What I find most disappointing about the whole thing is that this was probably one of the few reality shows to actually have some sense of reality.  I think that the biggest problem from a cultural perspective is that bigotry and prejudice do still exist like that in all lifestyles, but we're just too afraid to acknowledge it.  People would rather piss and moan about insensitivity and getting their feelings hurt than actually deal with the issues.  I have to wonder if some people or groups thrive on victimization.

That said, I do think that the show was in somewhat poor taste since the purpose of it was to dog-and-pony the pain of these families for the American people.  Well that and the fact that it only focused on the bigotry of suburban white people and didn't give a more broad view of the problem in society.
11:42:24 [Gamplayerx] I keep getting knocked up.
11:42:28 [Gamplayerx] Er. OUT!

Beefy

Quote from: ReBurninator on July 05, 2005, 07:29:08 AM
What I find most disappointing about the whole thing is that this was probably one of the few reality shows to actually have some sense of reality.  I think that the biggest problem from a cultural perspective is that bigotry and prejudice do still exist like that in all lifestyles, but we're just too afraid to acknowledge it.  People would rather piss and moan about insensitivity and getting their feelings hurt than actually deal with the issues.  I have to wonder if some people or groups thrive on victimization.

That said, I do think that the show was in somewhat poor taste since the purpose of it was to dog-and-pony the pain of these families for the American people.  Well that and the fact that it only focused on the bigotry of suburban white people and didn't give a more broad view of the problem in society.

This post was why I brought it up.

++

ursus

:wtf:

Does anyone actually think TV is the place to deal with any of this???
I was just wondering...

nallen

Quote from: ursus on July 15, 2005, 06:26:32 AM
:wtf:

Does anyone actually think TV is the place to deal with any of this???

TV actually has a history of dealing with these exact issues.   Witness Archie Bunker from "All in the Family",   or "Different Strokes"   

I'd say here they screwed up by making it to obvious what they were doing, they have to soft-peddle things.
May the Magic Plastic bless you and keep you.