News:

Do you all even read these?

Main Menu

Harry Potter

Started by OBB, June 28, 2005, 03:40:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Alice

Quote from: Beef on September 16, 2005, 09:18:51 AM
I doubt Kevin Smith will ever be able to top Chasing Amy.  It was and remains a wonderful and honest film.
Um hello?  Have you not seen Jersey Girl?!?!?   ::)

Mr. Ubiquity

Quote from: AliceLiddell on September 16, 2005, 09:20:33 AM
I doubt Kevin Smith will ever be able to top Chasing Amy.  It was and remains a wonderful and honest film.

seen it, but doesnt top chasing amy.   actually anything with duckboy "aflac" gets an instant downgrade in quality.
"if I wank to it, will u feel disgusted or flattered or a perverse combo of both?"

ignom

Quote from: Marixis on September 16, 2005, 09:22:11 AM

seen it, but doesnt top chasing amy.   actually anything with duckboy "aflac" gets an instant downgrade in quality.

Except Pearl Harbor.
Underneath this flabby exterior is an enormous lack of character.

Mr. Ubiquity

Quote from: ignom on September 16, 2005, 09:23:33 AM

Except Pearl Harbor.

because it had rockin CGI
"if I wank to it, will u feel disgusted or flattered or a perverse combo of both?"

Beefy

That's the only Smith film I haven't seen.  I don't feel compelled to do so.

Affleck has never been better than he was in Chasing Amy.

Beefy

Quote from: Marixis on September 16, 2005, 09:25:39 AM
Quote from: ignom on September 16, 2005, 09:23:33 AM

Except Pearl Harbor.

because it had rockin CGI

And Josh Hartnett.

Mr. Ubiquity

Quote from: Beef on September 16, 2005, 09:26:14 AM

Only Pearl Harbor, where he was supposedly dead.  thats the best moment in film regarding him.  The only good thing about Daredevil was Jennifer Garner.

Alice

It's actually really fucking awful.

Mr. Ubiquity

Quote from: AliceLiddell on September 16, 2005, 09:48:17 AM

Im sure Jennifer could tell you, the fucking was aweful..   pregnant doesnt equal good sex.  just means good high speed seed :)

Jessie

It was bad.  Chasing Amy is the best of his movies.  Jay and Silent Bob Strike Back was the funniest.
we should have kept the quote pyramid up to rape Jessie in the face.

ignom

Quote from: Jessie on September 16, 2005, 10:10:21 AM

That's the only Smith film I haven't seen.  I don't feel compelled to do so.

It was bad.  Mallrats is the best of his movies.  Mallrats was the funniest.

Jessie

Quote from: ignom on September 16, 2005, 10:11:05 AM

liar liar pants on fire.
we should have kept the quote pyramid up to rape Jessie in the face.

Mr. Ubiquity

Quote from: Jessie on September 16, 2005, 10:11:35 AM
Quote from: ignom on September 16, 2005, 10:11:05 AM

liar liar pants on fire.

agreed, mall rats wasnt that good.

ignom

It's the only one I like enough to watch. Have you seen the edited-for-TV version?

Mr. Ubiquity

Quote from: ignom on September 16, 2005, 10:25:39 AM
It's the only one I like enough to watch. Have you seen the edited-for-TV version?

you mean edited to suck more.

ignom

Quote from: Marixis on September 16, 2005, 10:31:29 AM

It's probably the worst editing job ever done on a movie. It's so bad it's funny.

Beefy

Quote from: ignom on September 16, 2005, 10:35:40 AM

It's probably the worst editing job ever done on a movie. It's so bad it's funny.

This is true.

Also, Mallrats has one of the funniest commentary tracks ever.

Alice

Quote from: ignom on September 16, 2005, 10:35:40 AM

I'd have to say that Big Lebowski is worse.

"This is what happens when you find a stranger in the Alps!"

Beefy

Okay, finally, here my thoughts:

Harry is progressing nicely as a character, as is Malfoy and perhaps Ginny.  Ron and Hermoine are not growing or changing one little bit.

The best part of the book for me was the fleshing out of Voldemort, who desperately needed it.

The story didn't have the thrust of the others.  I was glad that the school year minutae took a back seat this time, but this one didn't seem have the narrative drive of the others (this may be because I already knew what the conclusion was, however).

I like how this one will cross directly over with the next book, as well as how it ties earlier books into a larger scheme.  Smart move.

The big ending: how dumb are we supposed to be?  The whole thing was obviously a set-up.  She even recreates it for us step by step so that next time, when she reveals it was all a big fake-out, we all go scrambling back to this book to figure out the exact moment we were doublecrossed.  She has done this before in previous installments, and so her writing makes her intentions predictable.

The only part of the whole "sad" affair was the song of the phoenix.

The ultimate reveal of the identity of the Half-Blood Prince was not only abrupt, but seemed downright unimportant.  Why was that the name of the book?  Why not Harry Potter and the Seven Horcruxes?  And why would the Half-Blood Prince have left their book out like that in the first place?

I hope Harry knocks Ginny up in the next installment.

sapphirehart

Quote from: Beef on September 26, 2005, 04:03:27 PM

OMG, that made me snort.

dazie

Quote from: Beef on September 26, 2005, 04:03:27 PM
Okay, finally, here my thoughts:

The big ending: how dumb are we supposed to be?  The whole thing was obviously a set-up.  She even recreates it for us step by step so that next time, when she reveals it was all a big fake-out, we all go scrambling back to this book to figure out the exact moment we were doublecrossed.  She has done this before in previous installments, and so her writing makes her intentions predictable.

I agree.  I am interested, however, to see the explanation of said fake out.

The only part of the whole "sad" affair was the song of the phoenix.

I thought the part where Hagrid was carrying the burden was sadder- that's where I really lost it.

The ultimate reveal of the identity of the Half-Blood Prince was not only abrupt, but seemed downright unimportant.  Why was that the name of the book?  Why not Harry Potter and the Seven Horcruxes?  And why would the Half-Blood Prince have left their book out like that in the first place?

EXACTLY.  GOD that annoyed me.  Honestly- what a lame red herring.  It didn't even make a whole lot of sense- I had to go back and re-read a few times in a few places, and I'm still not convinced it was a logical progression.

Nah.  Ron should.  Keep the blood pure and all.
"Pinky, are you pondering what I'm pondering?"
I think so, Brain, but how will we get the Spice Girls into the paella?

Kristine

Mallrats is my absolute favorite.. but I also have sentimental reasons for it being so...

~~~~

You're right about the title.  Half-Blood Prince wasn't important--yet.  Maybe it will matter in 7.  Plus, he has that whole thing going with Malfoy and the promise.  Maybe something more interesting will occur?

Snape left the book in the potions cabinet, where it's usually locked--but he also knows that in book 1 Harry got into the cabinet, so perhaps Snape left it there intentionally for Harry to find in order to further his "education" of the more dark arts.

Ron did advance a wee bit more... he finally kissed someone.  Harry has changed the most through all the books, but that's to be expected.

For 7 I think Hogwarts will be closed down completely and Harry, Ron, Hermione, Ginny, Luna, and Neville will be the new Order of the Phoenix and they will continue Defense Against the Dark Arts over the summer holiday and they will take control of the Order.  They will not return to school, they will take part in the all out war against Voldemort and the Deatheaters.... they will hunt for the horcruxes... one of them, I believe, is at the Order HQ and the house elf has it.  The locket. Anyway, Harry will clue in the scoobie gang there about the horcruxes and they will search and search.  There will be conflict about the old Order and the new Order. 

Perhaps 7's title will be about the horcruxes... anyway, I'm gonna have to read 6 again soon, to remember everything...  I do so love the HP books!!

~~~~

Lastly, has anyone ever read the Thursday Next series by Jasper Fforde?  The Eyre Affair is the first in the series.  The blurb calls it a cross between Monty Python and Buffy the Vampire Slayer... hehe  I bought the 1st and 2nd books and I'm just now reading The Eyre Affair.
"There are two kinds of folks who sit around thinking about how to kill people..psychopaths and mystery writers." - Castle

dc

Quote from: KarmicHoax on September 29, 2005, 10:30:02 PM

Lastly, has anyone ever read the Thursday Next series by Jasper Fforde?  The Eyre Affair is the first in the series.  The blurb calls it a cross between Monty Python and Buffy the Vampire Slayer... hehe  I bought the 1st and 2nd books and I'm just now reading The Eyre Affair.

I've read all of the Thursday Next books.  It has become my favorite series.  His sense of humor and literary jokes is fantastic.

Gamplayerx

Quote from: dc on September 30, 2005, 05:44:25 AM

I've read all of the Thursday Next books.  It has become my favorite series.  His sense of humor and literary jokes is fantastic.
That sounds interesting.  Are these adult books?

Kristine

Quote from: Gamplayerx on October 01, 2005, 07:22:52 AM
Quote from: dc on September 30, 2005, 05:44:25 AM

That sounds interesting.  Are these adult books?

I think so.. the lead character is 36 and talks a bit about her ex-boyfriend... and so far there's another character named Jack Schitt.  So I think it's skewed towards adults.  Wait, I know it is, 'cause I read an article that said he also writes childrens books... like a kid detective that has to solve the murder of Humpty Dumpty--was he pushed, or did he fall?? 

I think it's really great that the author references all sorts of poets and novelists and the entire town has 100's of John Miltons and Percy Shelleys and basically the stories involve jumping into and out of situations that involve fictional characters inside of books... while Thursday Next solves crimes.

So far, pretty cheeky!
"There are two kinds of folks who sit around thinking about how to kill people..psychopaths and mystery writers." - Castle