News:

mmmhhphh hmmph I chhoudnph hcjear youph wiff fis crunphing in my mouphthmph.

Main Menu

Stupid Cliches in Media you hate

Started by Dry then Catch, September 07, 2005, 01:19:47 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dry then Catch

There are certain idiotic devices in movies, TV, commercials and books that repeat themselves over and over.  It may be a special effects trick, comic relief or otherwise uncharacteristic line that spoils the whole thing and have been repeated ad naseum.  Yes repeated.  Much like my last two sentences. 

This has been discussed in various places in the past but NOT HERE DAMMIT.

1)  Kids who know about technology and the adults don't.
If i see one more shitty commercial where the dad is clueless as to use the computer or the DVD player and the infant presses a button (much to everyone's delight) I'm going to flip.

2)  Similarily, in sit-coms dad is always seen as lovable but dopey.  The humor at his expense is usually drawn by the "hip and with it" teen daughter only to be exacerbated by the wife.  If my kids pulled that shit on me, I'd go postal on their ass and the wife would need a restraining order.

3)  Old people smoking pot or drinking.  WHOOO ITS TIME TO ACT CRAZY AND OUT OF CHARACTER!!!!1111
and dance to generic hip hop

4)  Similiarly "religious" people laughing at inappropriate humor or suddenly cutting loose.  HURR Christians are supposed to beat their Bibles all the time and be intolerant DAMMIT.

ok i have more but continue with yours. 

meredith

"gentle giants" that everyone assumes are angry and violent until WHOA HEY HE'S PLAYING WITH A PUPPY

or similar you-thought-it-was-scary-but-it-really-isnt situations

ReBurn

I hate it when the newscasters say "Could it happen in our community?"
11:42:24 [Gamplayerx] I keep getting knocked up.
11:42:28 [Gamplayerx] Er. OUT!

ignom

I'm tired of sitcoms that use the cliche of not being funny or the least bit interesting.
Underneath this flabby exterior is an enormous lack of character.

DownSouth

Words I'm sick of hearing in the news.

chance
may
could happen
might
16:15:43 [Gamplayerx] Juneau, I could really go for some pie. You better Belize it!

Jessie

Quote from: DownSouth on September 07, 2005, 09:23:07 AM

chance
may
could happen
might

Could it happen here/to you/to your children/to your pets?

Tune in at 11!
we should have kept the quote pyramid up to rape Jessie in the face.

Mr. Ubiquity

Quote from: DownSouth on September 07, 2005, 09:23:07 AM

chance
may
could happen
might

This just in....

There is a chance that something may happen.  Probably not. but it could happen.  So it might.
"if I wank to it, will u feel disgusted or flattered or a perverse combo of both?"

ignom

You know what I'm sick of? Will it Float and other recurring segments on late-night talk shows that weren't amusing the first time.

Mr. Ubiquity

Quote from: ignom on September 07, 2005, 09:34:22 AM
You know what I'm sick of? Will it Float and other recurring segments on late-night talk shows that weren't amusing the first time.

easier to just state that late night talk shows are annoying in general.
"if I wank to it, will u feel disgusted or flattered or a perverse combo of both?"

ReBurn

Quote from: Marixis on September 07, 2005, 09:36:06 AM

I think in general they are funny, but in specific instances they are really annoying.  But that's just me.

ignom

I do think it's funny when Conan O'Brien occasionally still does "In the Year 2000."

Mr. Ubiquity

Quote from: ReBurninator on September 07, 2005, 09:48:42 AM
Quote from: Marixis on September 07, 2005, 09:36:06 AM

I think in general they are funny, but in specific instances they are really annoying.  But that's just me.

AGREED!!

Dry then Catch

I REALLY REALLY REALLY REALLY REALLY

hate it when a character on a sit com passes a test or wins some trophy and people clap. WTFFFFFF

Listener

I always hated the "Dwight Lauderdale Story".

Dwight Lauderdale is a news anchor on WPLG Channel 10, the ABC affiliate in Miami.  My family was always a Channel 10 family -- Dwight Lauderdale, Ann Bishop, Don Noe with the weather, and Khambrel Marshall with sports.  But at least once every ratings book, Dwight Lauderdale would do a one-week (pre-recorded all in one day, I think) series of news stories about something that might possibly happen maybe.  Then he'd take a week off or something.

The most memorable was one summer when we had a rash of car-into-canal accidents.  Dwight did four days of stories on this, and on the fifth day, he got into a 4-door sedan and put it in neutral and a crew pushed it into a canal.  He had to get out with only the equipment in the vehicle.  This was before cell-phones, mind.

Now, I'm sure he had a scuba set in there just in case, but it was dramatic.

Looking back, though, it was stupid.  A blatant ratings stunt.

I hate that stuff.

Also, I hate when my local CBS affilate makes a news story out of a product they created, like CBS46togo, their mobile web portal.  That pisses me off.

sugar_grrl

Canned laughter in cartoons....if it's funny, it's funny....if it's not....don't make me want to smack you over the head with a frying pan because you put that DAMNED CANNED LAUGHTER in there.
Have you ever seen a llama kiss a llama on the llama?

cnamon

There is a woman that does the fluff pieces on Fox 5 DC named Holy Morris.  I hate her so much.  I think she does a line of crack then takes No Doze before each broadcast.  She annoys me.  She covers stuff like doggy fashion shows and shit.  Right now she is hunting for feel good stories in Houston.  Knowing her she will ask a stupid question that will piss someone off and they will punch her.  Hard.  In the throat.

Did I mention how much she annoys me?

ReBurn

Quote from: cnamon on September 07, 2005, 02:46:48 PM
Did I mention how much she annoys me?
Nope.  Why don't you explain it to us?

Kristine

I'm not a fan of the segments of "how many germs are there in the kitchen.... bathroom.... motel room"

Just.  Gross.

And sorta related, I wish stations would STOP putting their damn logo on the corner of the screen!!!
"There are two kinds of folks who sit around thinking about how to kill people..psychopaths and mystery writers." - Castle

ReBurn

They had a fireworks display to celebrate the opening of a bridge here.  One of the local channels superimposed ads they sold over the televised fireworks display.  I hate it when they do stuff like that.

cnamon

I hate that every time a plane crashes, if they determined it was an accident, they have to throw in "it was not terrorist related". 

I hate when ever there was a fire that was an accident, the newscaster has to throw in "it is believed not to be arson".

If you didn't say in the broadcast that it was terrorist or arson, you don't need to tell us it wasn't.  When we live in fear, the terrorist and arsonist win

Listener

I also hate when TV stations have TVs that the reporters stand in front of while they're doing reports.  They have over-the-shoulder chyron overlays.  Why not use those?  They look pretentious standing next to a 60-inch plasma TV that you know cost more than my monthly salary...

VikingJuice

This may just be me:

I hate the fact that every time I watch a video(and there are several different ones) of the Broncos winning the SuperBowl over the Green Bay Packers, there is this one clip that is really two that overlap.  When they show John Elway hoisting the Vince Lobardi Trophy in the air, the fireworks over his head are not REALLY there.  His back was facing a different part of the stadium and the fireworks had gone off about 8 minutes before this moment happened.  But as soon as it went to recap, the network overlapped the two images and did it in a shitty way that it looks totally fake!!  So now it appears that crappy ass looking fireworks are exploding over his head the moment he raises the trophy in triumph.

And I HAAAAATE continuity errors in movies.

In Friday Night Lights, a film set in 1987, many of the players are wearing new Nikes with Gel or air cushions in the heal, UnderArmour gear and Oakley visors on their helmets.  None of these things existed in 1987 and weren't common place on any football teams till the mid-90's and beyond.

dazie

I really dislike it when shows think that rude, crude, disgusting, racy or raunch = funny.  Pandering to the lowest common denominator only ensures people will stop thinking.

Give me Bob Newhart over anything that's currently on TV any day.
"Pinky, are you pondering what I'm pondering?"
I think so, Brain, but how will we get the Spice Girls into the paella?

meredith

I hate it when guys get chicks in the sack too easily.  They should have to beg for ass just like the rest of us!!!

or is that just me?

dazie

Quote from: hattmoward on September 07, 2005, 05:13:18 PM
I hate it when guys get chicks in the sack too easily.  They should have to beg for ass just like the rest of us!!!

or is that just me?

It's just you.

Dry then Catch

I hope this is cathartic for you.  Frankly, I think most of you are nit picky bastards.

Next, I absolultely hate it in real life and in TV, when you use a term with more than two syllables and is slightly technical.

WHAT?  WOW SLOW DOWN THERE EINSTEIN

Example being commercials for "natural" food where people are trying to pronounce the ingredients.  Good gosh, just cause you can't pronounce it doesn't mean its evil.

Jessie

No kidding.  I couldn't pronounce CatchrNdRy for the longest time.  Catchr isn't evil, I'm just stupid.

Listener

I hate when reporters who are out on the scene do their "stand-ups" while walking.  They look so silly, and someday, one of 'em is gonna trip over something, do a faceplant, and they won't be able to finish the report.  And I'll laugh.

sugar_grrl

Quote from: Listener on September 08, 2005, 10:41:19 AM
I hate when reporters who are out on the scene do their "stand-ups" while walking.  They look so silly, and someday, one of 'em is gonna trip over something, do a faceplant, and they won't be able to finish the report.  And I'll laugh.
Ever seen those outtake shows where that actually does happen?  Like "World's Most Stupid News Anchors" or something.  If they would just play the clips I think I'd laugh my head off....but they have to put in that STUPID host with that GODDAMNED CANNED LAUGHTER...that ruins it for me....

Jessie

Quote from: sugar_grrl on September 08, 2005, 11:08:50 AM
Ever seen those outtake shows where that actually does happen?  Like "World's Most Stupid News Anchors" or something.  If they would just play the clips I think I'd laugh my head off....but they have to put in that STUPID host with that GODDAMNED CANNED LAUGHTER...that ruins it for me....

You cuss a lot.  I like that about you.  Now I won't look so unladylike around her.

cnamon

Quote from: Jessie on September 08, 2005, 11:19:21 AM

You cuss a lot.  I like that about you.  Now I won't look so unladylike around her.
I think the strap on gave that away long ago, my dear.

Mr. Ubiquity

Quote from: hattmoward on September 07, 2005, 05:13:18 PM

or is that just me?

Find the right guy, and he can take you to the sack then.

sugar_grrl

Quote from: Jessie on September 08, 2005, 11:19:21 AM

Fan-fuckin-tastic (I hid that cuss word in another word....shhhh)

Dry then Catch

Quote from: Jessie on September 08, 2005, 10:05:32 AM
No kidding.  I couldn't pronounce CatchrNdRy for the longest time.  Catchr isn't evil, I'm just stupid.

well duh. 

BUT YOU SURE DIDNT HAVE TROUBLE SCREAMING IT IN BED THE OTHER NIGHT

Jessie

Quote from: CatchrNdRy on September 08, 2005, 11:58:02 AM

well duh. 

CATCHRNDRY, UNTIE ME IM CALLING THE FUCKING COPS!!!

Dry then Catch

Quote from: Jessie on September 08, 2005, 12:03:56 PM
Quote from: CatchrNdRy on September 08, 2005, 11:58:02 AM

well duh. 

CATCHRNDRY, UNTIE ME IM CALLING THE FUCKING COPS!!!

well you're a free woman aren't you.

p.s. sorry about that.  i was nervous.  but give me another chance i'm all man and i can prove it. 

Beefy

THE FUCKING COPS!!!

Was he that bad?  Was the old stereotype about Asians really true?

Jessie

Quote from: Beefy on September 08, 2005, 12:13:04 PM
THE FUCKING COPS!!!

Yes.  I had to call the cops because he wrecked his car.  Again.

Dry then Catch

Quote from: Beefy on September 08, 2005, 12:13:04 PM
THE FUCKING COPS!!!

let's just say old Drew here (uh not DC) has gotten plenty of action and the ladies have been none the wiser. 

Dry then Catch

If there is another show about a fat doofus married to a hot yet sassy wife, thats "edgy" i'm going to hurl

ignom

Quote from: CatchrNdRy on September 08, 2005, 04:34:02 PM
If there is another show about a fat doofus married to a hot yet sassy wife, thats "edgy" i'm going to hurl

That better not be a diss against King of Queens.

ignom

Does Shepard Smith count as a cliche?

dazie

Quote from: ignom on September 08, 2005, 05:11:06 PM

I think he means the other one.  With the chubby dork married to the whorey hawtie.  You know.  That other one.

Beefy

Quote from: dazie on September 08, 2005, 07:39:47 PM

I think he means the other one.  With the chubby dork married to the whorey hawtie.  You know.  That other one.

The King of Queens?

Dry then Catch

yeah its better when there is a Scientologist involved.

it also really bothers me when a character wants to go see a movie and they make up a fake movie or fake semi-similiar sounding commercial product they want to buy.  I think Seinfeld is quite guilty of this. 

ignom

Quote from: CatchrNdRy on September 09, 2005, 12:37:17 PM
yeah its better when there is a Scientologist involved.

it also really bothers me when a character wants to go see a movie and they make up a fake movie or fake semi-similiar sounding commercial product they want to buy.  I think Seinfeld is quite guilty of this. 

Rochelle Rochelle?

A young girl's strange, erotic journey from Milan to Minsk.

dazie

Quote from: Beefy on September 09, 2005, 06:53:26 AM

The King of Queens?

Yeah, that one, but there's another one.  Grounded for Life is one, but I kinda like it.  What's the one with the guy from Full Monty and the brunette fiancee from Twister?

Alice

Quote from: dazie on September 09, 2005, 07:51:00 PM
Quote from: Beefy on September 09, 2005, 06:53:26 AM

The King of Queens?

Yeah, that one, but there's another one.  Grounded for Life is one, but I kinda like it.  What's the one with the guy from Full Monty and the brunette fiancee from Twister?
Still Standing.
Also:
According to Jim
Grounded for Life
Did we mention King of Queens?

ignom

Is Grounded for Life still on somewhere?

And Still Standing = http://tinypic.com/dnknsh.jpg

Jessie

ignom

Dry then Catch

did you guys see that Fox show with Michael Rappaport last night.  WOW it was OUTRAGEOUS and totally fresh and hip.  I'm glad Fox has the balls to put out consistently OUTRAGEOUS shows since Martin.  They really connect with my problems and lifestyles.

Ya see Michael is sort of a gruff guy who grew up in ya know a real East coast type working class family.  I bet he really likes to crack open a cold one and watch the local sporting team with his buddies from the neighborhood.  But despite his exterior I really think he has a heart of gold and is kind of a softy. 

His wife is sassy and knows better.
His kids are somewhat sassy.

Wow, Ignom you may love this.

1)  He is not as fat as Kevin James in King of Queens
2)  His wife is not as hot as Courtney whatever in About Jim or whatever that show is. 

ignom

I can't effing stand Michael Rappaport, despite his being in the movie Beautiful Girls.

Listener

Grounded For Life starts a run on ABC Family on either 9/19 or 9/26, I forget which.

www.abcfamily.com

OBB

Quote from: CatchrNdRy on September 12, 2005, 04:24:13 PM
did you guys see that Fox show with Michael Rappaport last night.  WOW it was OUTRAGEOUS and totally fresh and hip.  I'm glad Fox has the balls to put out consistently OUTRAGEOUS shows since Martin.  They really connect with my problems and lifestyles.

Ya see Michael is sort of a gruff guy who grew up in ya know a real East coast type working class family.  I bet he really likes to crack open a cold one and watch the local sporting team with his buddies from the neighborhood.  But despite his exterior I really think he has a heart of gold and is kind of a softy. 

His wife is sassy and knows better.
His kids are somewhat sassy.

Wow, Ignom you may love this.

1)  He is not as fat as Kevin James in King of Queens
2)  His wife is not as hot as Courtney whatever in About Jim or whatever that show is. 

I hate this show because it seems like it's trying to be "Married with Children", but without the humour.

Beefy

Invasion has that annoying precocious little girl who is the only one who can see something's wrong with mom character.

Gamplayerx

Quote from: Beef on September 29, 2005, 02:12:39 PM
Invasion has that annoying precocious little girl who is the only one who can see something's wrong with mom character.
Plus she has a cat that has absolutely no problem with being carried around in the rain and stuck in a car for hours and has no reaction to loud noises.

Listener

Quote from: Gamplayerx on September 29, 2005, 02:18:11 PM
Quote from: Beef on September 29, 2005, 02:12:39 PM
Plus she has a cat that has absolutely no problem with being carried around in the rain and stuck in a car for hours and has no reaction to loud noises.

Yeah, that cat's on tranquilizers.

My cats look up every other time I click my mouse, and that's not very loud at all.  They refuse to go into carriers -- we have to trap them and force them in -- and they cry on every car trip, no matter how short.

Driving with four cats from Orlando to Atlanta was no fun at all.

Gamplayerx

My cats have to investigate every mouse click.  They don't mind getting into the carrier, but Pong cries whenever the car's in motion. 

cnamon

Maybe your cats were looking for this

[attachment deleted by admin]

VikingJuice

Dry then Catch

everyone has one black buddy on these shows, who is usually hanging out with the largeer group.   where is my black buddy?!  i'll tell you where!  we stopped talking after I graduated high school.  i guess we just sorta drifted apart.

cnamon

Quote from: CatchrNdRy on September 29, 2005, 03:49:25 PM
everyone has one black buddy on these shows, who is usually hanging out with the largeer group.   where is my black buddy?!  i'll tell you where!  we stopped talking after I graduated high school.  i guess we just sorta drifted apart.
Kinda like in here.

Damn, that shit is wack.

Dry then Catch

Quote from: cnamon on September 29, 2005, 03:51:31 PM
Kinda like in here.

Damn, that shit is wack.

you're a girl so it doesn't count.

Gamplayerx

Quote from: CatchrNdRy on September 29, 2005, 03:53:20 PM
Quote from: cnamon on September 29, 2005, 03:51:31 PM
Kinda like in here.

Damn, that shit is wack.

you're a girl so it doesn't count.
Why don't you want Cnamon to have friends?  You have a lump of coal where your heart should be.

Dry then Catch