News:

A child can go only so far in life without potty training. It is not mere coincidence that six of the last seven presidents were potty trained, not to mention nearly half of the nation's state legislators.

Main Menu

MP3 Players

Started by cnamon, June 15, 2006, 11:15:43 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

cnamon

I am looking to get an non iPod MP3 Player.

Any suggestions?  I don't need a lot of songs, just something to listen to on the bus, walking, and when I get some strength in my foot, exercising.

Bennyhana

I like my SanDisk Samsa M500, but they don't make it anymore.  The new ones aren't as good, though they have more memory.

Listener

If you get a PDA/Pocket PC, you can just throw songs on a memory card and then you'll be able to do a lot more with the device.

cnamon

Quote from: Listener on June 15, 2006, 11:18:08 AM
If you get a PDA/Pocket PC, you can just throw songs on a memory card and then you'll be able to do a lot more with the device.
I thought about that, but I want something a lot smaller.  I really don't have a use for a PDA outside of work.

Listener

Quote from: cnamon on June 15, 2006, 11:18:48 AM
I thought about that, but I want something a lot smaller.  I really don't have a use for a PDA outside of work.

Indeed.  Plus, my PocketPC doesn't have a "button lock" function so every time I use it when I mow the lawn, the buttons bump against my pocket and screw things up.

How about this one?  http://reviews.cnet.com/Panasonic_SV_SD80/4505-6490_7-8010319.html - They say it's a bit pricey, but it's probably a little cheaper now.

Bishamonten

Don't waste your time.  Just get an ipod.  If you don't want a lot of space, look into the ipod shuffles.  Better engineering than any unit on the market and all the other models have a lack of accessories. 

meredith

yeah i point to ipod shuffle also.  small and sturdy

other than that, look for a device based on flash memory - one with capacity listed less than 2GB - because larger ones have disks that risk mechanical failure

Bennyhana

Quote from: Bishamonten on June 15, 2006, 11:55:44 AM
Don't waste your time.  Just get an ipod.  If you don't want a lot of space, look into the ipod shuffles.  Better engineering than any unit on the market and all the other models have a lack of accessories. 

Don't shuffles not give you the option to choose what you listen to?  Also, if you want to get a subscription music service (like rhapsody or napster), iPods do not support them.

SockmonkeyHolocaust

I have a close to four year old Creative Zen that I love to death and that has been through everything with me. It was cheaper than an iPod, too. the case is held together by one screw. It's great. I like it a lot.

cnamon

Quote from: Bennyhana on June 15, 2006, 12:11:50 PM

Don't shuffles not give you the option to choose what you listen to?  Also, if you want to get a subscription music service (like rhapsody or napster), iPods do not support them.
That is my beef with an iPod...I don't want to be held to only using iTunes.

I am looking at the Creative Zen line...there are a lot of things that I like about the really small one (1GB).  It also has an FM tuner so I can listen to the news when I feel like it.

Bennyhana

Quote from: cnamon on June 15, 2006, 12:14:17 PM
Quote from: Bennyhana on June 15, 2006, 12:11:50 PM

That is my beef with an iPod...I don't want to be held to only using iTunes.

I am looking at the Creative Zen line...there are a lot of things that I like about the really small one (1GB).  It also has an FM tuner so I can listen to the news when I feel like it.

The other nice thing about flash based players (though I don't know if this is true of the Shuffle) is that many of them run on regular, changeable batteries, so you don't have to worry about charging it or having to pay a lot for a new one 1000 charges later.

Dry then Catch

I've owned a Creative and an ipod.

The Creative takes all video and audio formats.  It uploads and downloads just like  regular portable hardrive.    I treat my stuff rather roughly, but my Creative Zen Jukebox 2 from 2001 is still kicking.  Creatives have a much higher battery life as well.

But its clunkier looking.  Creative makes a lot of lemons too.  The Zen Video I bought was a lemon as were many I hear.  But when they do work, they have a higher reliabilty than the ipod.

HERE IS WHY IPOD AND ITUNES SUCK:

one-way uploading.

I could take my Creative and transfer files between computers and sync, like a Palm Pilot would.

Itunes doesn't let you. It retricts your library to one computer.  That being said, Itunes is pretty much idiot proof if you use it the way Ipod intends.

meredith

part of the problem all of these companies have is dealing with the publishers.  itunes, napster, and rhapsody all give you files in different protected formats, so they can control file sharing.  your best bet is to rip music off bish, then you can use whatever player you want.  ;D

SockmonkeyHolocaust

or use emusic which lets you download the files as MP3 players

Dry then Catch

Slight derail:

do any of you guys know of a program that can trick your ipod/itunes to downloading onto a new computer?

I have the classic work/home computer set up and I'd like to be able to sync and transfer between the two. 

Bennyhana

cnamon

Quote from: Bennyhana on June 15, 2006, 12:40:43 PM
Quote from: cnamon on June 15, 2006, 12:35:37 PM
I think I am leaning towards these two:

http://www2.buydig.com/shop/product.aspx?ref=cnet&utm_source=Cnet&utm_medium=cpc&utm_campaign=CLZNMCROB6GIG&sku=CLZNMCROB6GIG

http://www2.buydig.com/shop/product.aspx?sku=CLNAN1GIGPLBLU

I like the second one better, because it's 1/3 the price, not HD-based, and uses a standard AAA battery.  But that's me.
I like it better, too.  It fits all my needs.  I thought about the larger one, but I can switch with Jeff if I need more music (which would be a very rare case).

Dry then Catch

you could get a 30gb video mp3 player for the price of the first one. 

dazie

Quote from: Listener on June 15, 2006, 11:21:23 AM

Indeed.  Plus, my PocketPC doesn't have a "button lock" function so every time I use it when I mow the lawn, the buttons bump against my pocket and screw things up.

How about this one?  http://reviews.cnet.com/Panasonic_SV_SD80/4505-6490_7-8010319.html - They say it's a bit pricey, but it's probably a little cheaper now.

Why do you take your PC when you're mowing the lawn??
"Pinky, are you pondering what I'm pondering?"
I think so, Brain, but how will we get the Spice Girls into the paella?

Gamplayerx

You know, the shuffles are really cheap now. 

Benny, you don't have to set it on shuffle, you can have it play in order.  Of course, it's alphabetical order, but it's not random.

Bennyhana

Quote from: Gamplayerx on June 15, 2006, 02:25:06 PM

Benny, you don't have to set it on shuffle, you can have it play in order.  Of course, it's alphabetical order, but it's not random.

See, mine cost the same and it has a screen so I can go to the song I want to listen to.  Or the artist.  Or the album.  I also have an SD card slot for expansion that the shuffle doens't have.

Listener

Quote from: dazie on June 15, 2006, 12:56:45 PM
Quote from: Listener on June 15, 2006, 11:21:23 AM

Why do you take your PC when you're mowing the lawn??

Handheld PC.  So I can listen to music.

cnamon

It isn't a matter of cost...I would rather have something with more features.

Gamplayerx

Quote from: Bennyhana on June 15, 2006, 02:29:22 PM

See, mine cost the same and it has a screen so I can go to the song I want to listen to.  Or the artist.  Or the album.  I also have an SD card slot for expansion that the shuffle doens't have.
Mine was free.