ok, junto. show me your cell phones!

Started by nishi, March 11, 2006, 05:29:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

nishi

yes. the time has come. i, who hate being tethered to anything other than dogs and an address, now must purchase....  a cell phone.  ok, well obviously i'm not going to *purchase* one. i'm going to get whichever one comes free with my cell plan, so here are some examples of options. please feel free to rant on for or against any phones listed, and maybe even those that are not listed.

motorola razr V3 (unfortunately, not the magenta one)

nokia 6101

nokia 3660

motorola v188

motorola v360

samsung SGH E635

samsung SGH T309

motorola v360

nokia 6010

samsung E335

nokia 6800

samsung x495

so. if you've got one of those, threw away one of those, already broke one of those, or have a phone that isn't on the list that you can't live without.... i need to hear from you!
"we left the motherland to settle a colony on Juntoo.  hats with belt buckles."
-catchr

<- this is a prankapple.

ReBurn

Well, you don't need to hear from me, because I have an Audiovox 8910 that I gots for free with my cell plan back in November.  It's a decent enough phone for the little bit that I use it.  And it has a decent camera, too.
11:42:24 [Gamplayerx] I keep getting knocked up.
11:42:28 [Gamplayerx] Er. OUT!

Jessie

It's time for me to get a new one and renew my plan.  I don't know what my options are yet, though.  The Razrs are pretty nice, I think.
we should have kept the quote pyramid up to rape Jessie in the face.

nishi

how much money the cell phone industry makes for only giving half a shit is pretty amazing. and i'm not even a conspiracy theorist.

do libertarians have to build their own cell phone towers?
-catchr

<- this is a prankapple.

nishi

Quote from: Jessie on March 11, 2006, 05:35:19 PM
It's time for me to get a new one and renew my plan.  I don't know what my options are yet, though.  The Razrs are pretty nice, I think.

what provider do you use?
-catchr

<- this is a prankapple.

ReBurn

I think the Razrs are cool, but I'm afraid I'd break it.  I always keep my phone in my pocket, so it needs to be a bit durable.

Infobahn

I have a Treo 700w, so I am no help.  I like Moto phones, though.  I have always had good luck with them.

ReBurn

I won a Pocket PC-based smartphone back in October at a Microsoft event.  But it wouldn't work with my provider.  So I sold it for $200.

Do you find yourself using the extra features?

Jessie

Quote from: nishi on March 11, 2006, 05:36:48 PM

Cellular one.

I have a motorola v220 and I've dropped it countless times and everything still works on it.  If I try to have a long conversation on it I'll drop the call numerous times, but I'm pretty sure that's a cell one issue and not a motorola issue.

ReBurn

Quote from: Jessie on March 11, 2006, 05:41:18 PM
Quote from: nishi on March 11, 2006, 05:36:48 PM

Cellular one.

I have a motorola v220 and I've dropped it countless times and everything still works on it.  If I try to have a long conversation on it I'll drop the call numerous times, but I'm pretty sure that's a cell one issue and not a motorola issue.
Alltel gives a one minute credit if your call gets dropped, but I guess they only fess up half the time.

nishi

i think i'm going to go with t-mobile - a couple of friends here in louisville have it and say the reception is great and the customer service is fantastic. so.

i looked at the treos, info. teh sexay. when i'm making enough money freelancing that i can afford to get it in order to deduct it, i'm in.
-catchr

<- this is a prankapple.

dc

nishi

this has an international plan though, dc.

[attachment deleted by admin]
-catchr

<- this is a prankapple.

eo000

Gamplayerx

I have a Samsung MM-A700.  I like it.  I wish it was a bit bigger, because you can't rest it on your shoulder.  Of course, you can't do that with any of the phones you listed.  But I'm not on it enough to get one of those hands free things.

BigDun

My wife loves her Treo 650 with Blue Tooth wireless headset.
16:26:25 [DownSouth] I'm in a monkey rutt

Jessie

OH yeah, Adam got a razr the other day and said the bluetooth headset is the most awesome thing ever.   Except when he tried to answer and forgot he still had it set to the headset, which was in his pocket.

cnamon

I have this one:

http://www.samsung.com/Products/MobilePhones/Sprint/SPH_A840BKSXAR.asp

I have had not problems with it.  I have dropped it several times and it still is ticking.  The camera is nice on it...the ringer is loud enough to wake me up in the morning, and it is small enough to fit in my pocket.

DownSouth

I've been using Motorolas for over 10 years and have been very happy with them.
16:15:43 [Gamplayerx] Juneau, I could really go for some pie. You better Belize it!

Alice

Did you know it takes 400 lbs of raw materials to make one cell phone?

(I have a crappy pre-paid service, so I'm of no help.)

pumpkineye

I just upgraded from a nokia 3120b to a Audiovox 5600 smartphone.  Let me show you what this means exactly:
http://www.phonescoop.com/phones/compare.php?id%5B%5D=585&id%5B%5D=341&id%5B%5D=&id%5B%5D=&id%5B%5D=

basically this a big upgrade and I'm super excited.  i almost went with a razr, but then saw 2 things I didn't like.  1. no video or music.  2. not much memory.

the smartphone has 64mb of memory (with expansion slot), where the Razr has like...5((no expansion slot)

this is the smartphone vs the razr:

http://www.phonescoop.com/phones/compare.php?id%5B%5D=585&id%5B%5D=547&id%5B%5D=&id%5B%5D=&id%5B%5D=

cingular has them for $50 with a plan (refurbished, but if you have a local place that fixes phones for cheap like i do, this is a great deal)

If you are shelling out the monies for a razr without a plan, you should consider a smartphone instead.

ReBurn

Quote from: pumpkineye on March 16, 2006, 06:07:26 PM
If you are shelling out the monies for a razr without a plan, you should consider a smartphone instead.
Or a lobotomy.  Dang phones are 'spensive.

Mr. Ubiquity

Quote from: nishi on March 11, 2006, 05:35:55 PM
how much money the cell phone industry makes for only giving half a shit is pretty amazing. and i'm not even a conspiracy theorist.

do libertarians have to build their own cell phone towers?

what about Intel and AMD for making CPU's?   they squeeze a couple more mhz to make them a fraction faster and they either create a whole new chip and or redo the design to force you to buy a new MB to even use it.
"if I wank to it, will u feel disgusted or flattered or a perverse combo of both?"