News:

10/13/05 ReBurn nails the 90,000th post with a bullet! And what a bullet it was.

Main Menu

What's the weirdest thing you've ever eaten?

Started by Gamplayerx, October 20, 2005, 09:14:01 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Gamplayerx

How was it?  Would you eat it again?

I think my weirdest was either alligator or rattlesnake.

The alligator was breaded and fried and just tasted like the breading, so I'd eat it again.

The rattlesnake was diced and served cold in a vinegary salad.  Had a bit of a strange taste to it, but on the whole, pretty good.

Alice

Rocky Mountain Oysters.  Yes I would, those were really good.

cnamon

Alligator.  Tasted like chicken...but a different texture.  It was really good.

dazie

I'm down with the rattlesnake, as well as groundhog.  I haven't tried alligator yet, but I'd like to.

Other than sashimi, I'd say I've had a pretty boring diet.
"Pinky, are you pondering what I'm pondering?"
I think so, Brain, but how will we get the Spice Girls into the paella?

ignom

I've had gator tail. Not really weird.

I would say having pizza with a sunny-side up egg on it. It was in Amsterdam and it was good. I got a second one the next day.
Underneath this flabby exterior is an enormous lack of character.

Jessie

Quote from: Alice on October 20, 2005, 09:16:10 AM
Rocky Mountain Oysters.  Yes I would, those were really good.

Eww.  Ball eater.

Calamari is the grossest thing I've ever eaten.
we should have kept the quote pyramid up to rape Jessie in the face.

ignom

Underneath this flabby exterior is an enormous lack of character.

eo000

i had bear sloppy joes. pretty good. didn't quite taste like beef, but kinda similar.

dazie

Jessie

Quote from: eo000 on October 20, 2005, 10:09:16 AM
i had bear sloppy joes. pretty good. didn't quite taste like beef, but kinda similar.

What's he taste like?

nishi

i'd say the strangest thing was this indian vegetable called 'bitter melon'. the monks cooked it for us right after we got into delhi, and said that it was good for jet lag. it was like chewing curried aspirin-flavored okra or something. it tasted green, it was nicely seasoned, and it was like aspirin. i don't know if it helped the jet lag, but i did notice that, as disgusting as it tasted, it felt really good to eat it, like i was eating the right thing. meh.

beyond that - tibetan buttered tea with salt.
"we left the motherland to settle a colony on Juntoo.  hats with belt buckles."
-catchr

<- this is a prankapple.

ReBurn

Quote from: Jessie on October 20, 2005, 11:09:11 AM

What's he taste like?
Probably tastes like frickin'.
11:42:24 [Gamplayerx] I keep getting knocked up.
11:42:28 [Gamplayerx] Er. OUT!

DownSouth

16:15:43 [Gamplayerx] Juneau, I could really go for some pie. You better Belize it!

ReBurn

Gamplayerx

Quote from: ReBurn on October 20, 2005, 06:37:16 PM
Quote from: DownSouth on October 20, 2005, 01:54:21 PM
Quote from: ReBurn on October 20, 2005, 11:25:57 AM
Quote from: Jessie on October 20, 2005, 11:09:11 AM

What's he taste like?
Probably tastes like frickin'.
Paradise
Is that all you ever think about?
I hear once you've had ReBurn, it's hard to think of anything else.

HELIX

bison and it was pretty good from what I remember
Some people look at jerky and say, "Why?"  I look at jerky and say, "Mmm! Jerky!"

Gamplayerx

HELIX

it looked just like a normal steak and was cooked the same way
Some people look at jerky and say, "Why?"  I look at jerky and say, "Mmm! Jerky!"

Gamplayerx

Quote from: HELIX on October 20, 2005, 07:06:39 PM
it looked just like a normal steak and was cooked the same way
Was this at a restaurant or just some random bison steak you happened upon?

Dry then Catch

Quote from: nishi on October 20, 2005, 11:25:40 AM
i'd say the strangest thing was this indian vegetable called 'bitter melon'.

my parents have that stuff in cans.  "keew gaw" i think is how the would pronounced it. Literally "bitter melon"

I like menudo,and donkey.

i didnt like eel and water snake.  blargh

Gamplayerx

Quote from: CatchrNdRy on October 20, 2005, 07:15:23 PM

my parents have that stuff in cans.  "keew gaw" i think is how the would pronounced it. Literally "bitter melon"

You've eaten a spanish speaking boy band?  How were they?  I bet zesty!

Dry then Catch

Quote from: Gamplayerx on October 20, 2005, 07:17:25 PM
Quote from: CatchrNdRy on October 20, 2005, 07:15:23 PM

You've eaten a spanish speaking boy band?  How were they?  I bet zesty!

they were flaming hot. 

Gamplayerx

Dry then Catch

Quote from: Gamplayerx on October 20, 2005, 07:21:55 PM
Seriously, what's menudo?

a mexican soup made of hominey and like entrails.  and green onions.  probably not kosher. 

ReBurn

Gamplayerx

Quote from: CatchrNdRy on October 20, 2005, 07:22:32 PM
Quote from: Gamplayerx on October 20, 2005, 07:21:55 PM
Seriously, what's menudo?

a mexican soup made of hominey and like entrails.  and green onions.  probably not kosher. 
I like green onions.

VikingJuice

Gator-fried is sooo good
Shark-some good some bad
Sting Ray-don't remember
Coot-the nastiest, oiliest duck you'll ever see
Mullet-nasty bottom feeders
Antelope-chicken fried and tasty
Frog legs-good, a lot like chicken wings
Turtle-don't remember but I've head regular, whatever that is, and turtle soup
Wild boar-so good BBQed or just grilled
Javalena hog-apparently different than boar but just as tasty on the grill
Bison-don't remember
Kangaroo-if you believe those rumors about Jack-n-the-box in the early 80's
Wild Turkey-smoked and baked
Owl-don't remember
Pheasant
Armadillo-yes, killed by running it over, tastes like chicken in case you wondered
Home grown duck, rabbit, chicken and homegrown duck eggs

My family used to hunt a lot when I lived in Florida.  When I was really young, my father worked construction and got laid off frequently.  He was a bit of a fuck up for several years.  He and his friends would literally hunt our food because it was cheaper to buy bullets than to buy meat.  He had one friend who killed a wild boar with his bare hand.  He smashed it's skull with his fist because he'd dropped his knife and the boar was huge and pissed off.  He broke his hand in the process but that boar was very tasty.  The same guy once caught a 12 foot lemon shark and dumped it in our front yard and they cleaned and carved in right on the lawn.  That section of the yard stunk up the whole neighborhood for months!!

Gamplayerx

Quote from: Vikingjuice on October 20, 2005, 09:01:30 PM
The same guy once caught a 12 foot lemon shark and dumped it in our front yard and they cleaned and carved in right on the lawn.  That section of the yard stunk up the whole neighborhood for months!!

Florida is weird.

VikingJuice

Quote from: Gamplayerx on October 20, 2005, 09:07:59 PM
Quote from: Vikingjuice on October 20, 2005, 09:01:30 PM
The same guy once caught a 12 foot lemon shark and dumped it in our front yard and they cleaned and carved in right on the lawn.  That section of the yard stunk up the whole neighborhood for months!!

Florida is weird.

Boy howdy!  It's a wonder I'm as normal as I am.   

grace

ReBurn

When I was a kid the Filipino lady next door always tried to get me to eat squid stew.  The squid was funny-looking.

eo000

Quote from: ReBurninator on November 05, 2005, 11:46:43 AM
When I was a kid the Filipino lady next door always tried to get me to eat squid stew.  The squid was funny-looking.
:-X

Beefy

Your mom.

OH SNAP!

I've had bison as well.  It was gamey.

grace

::)...needless to say... was very desperate and hungry...then ... greek friend made it with kale, squid, celery.... regular dish for him???

Gamplayerx

ReBurn

On Iron Chef a couple of weeks ago Iron Chef Chen Kenichi made fried rice out of octopus ink.  It was black and stained the judges' teeth.

Gamplayerx

Quote from: ReBurninator on November 05, 2005, 11:59:15 AM
On Iron Chef a couple of weeks ago Iron Chef Chen Kenichi made fried rice out of octopus ink.  It was black and stained the judges' teeth.
Rice out of octopus ink?  That's like food alchemy!

Wonder if he could make a silk purse out of a sow's ear.

(I have no idea where that saying came from or what it means)

ReBurn

Quote from: Gamplayerx on November 05, 2005, 12:01:55 PM
Quote from: ReBurninator on November 05, 2005, 11:59:15 AM
Rice out of octopus ink?  That's like food alchemy!

Wonder if he could make a silk purse out of a sow's ear.

(I have no idea where that saying came from or what it means)
Oh, he used rice, too.  Sorry.

grace

ate fried "eel" once.....before i knew it was eel.....yuk

Gamplayerx

Quote from: grace on November 05, 2005, 12:07:02 PM
ate fried "eel" once.....before i knew it was eel.....yuk
Did it taste like chicken?  Was it the entire eel?  Or just like eel nuggets?  Were there dipping sauces?

What goes well with eel?

grace

nugget eel bites.... battered ... gross... nothing would go well with eel :-\

ReBurn

I've never tried eel.  I would probably eat it if I didn't know what it was.

Gamplayerx

I wonder if they make eel jerky.  Is eel salty?

grace

bland and rubber-like... chewy... couldn't get past the texture....

Gamplayerx

BigDun

A friend had cow tongue one night and I managed to swallow a bite. The taste wasn't bad but the texture was of soft Vienna Sausages and made me retch a little in the back of my throat. Meat should not be that soft.
16:26:25 [DownSouth] I'm in a monkey rutt

Gamplayerx

grace

lived in appalachia... for a few years.... my first trip to the only grocery store there "piggly wiggly" and .... there in the meat counter was "pig ears".....WTF...do ya do with pig ears????  ::)

Gamplayerx

Jessie

ignom ate seafood soup when we had Vietnamese with nishi.  It had cute little (gross looking) baby squid in it.  Blech.

grace

work pt as a seafood chef...we do marinated, grilled calamari... but i can only eat the rings...never the clusters... ::)

Gamplayerx

dazie

tongue-  I don't know that I'd like to eat anything that would taste me in return.   :-X

ReBurn

Quote from: grace on November 05, 2005, 08:15:50 PM
lived in appalachia... for a few years.... my first trip to the only grocery store there "piggly wiggly" and .... there in the meat counter was "pig ears".....WTF...do ya do with pig ears????  ::)
People season soups and stews with them.  I grew up in an area where many of the dishes could be seen on The Beverly Hillbillies.

Once while traveling through Tennessee I stopped in a Piggly Wiggly to buy something.  The total was $3.14.  When the clerk told me the total I couldn't understand what she was saying because of her accent.  So she started saying it louder, like I was deaf of something.

BigDun

Quote from: ReBurninator on November 06, 2005, 12:02:22 AM
People season soups and stews with them.  I grew up in an area where many of the dishes could be seen on The Beverly Hillbillies.

Once while traveling through Tennessee I stopped in a Piggly Wiggly to buy something.  The total was $3.14.  When the clerk told me the total I couldn't understand what she was saying because of her accent.  So she started saying it louder, like I was deaf of something.

People are often amazed by the fact that I was raised in Arkansas but have no southern accent. At which point I start talking with a drawl just to show them I can.

It was a conscious decision for me not to not have an accent growing up. I should say I choose to speak with a Midwestern (the newscaster accent) because I didn't want to be stereotyped as a "dumb southern hick". That doesn't mean I don't know how to talk that way. Indeed, if I hadn't spoken with a southern accent when working in the chicken factory, I would have gotten my ass kicked.

Even though I don't have a pronounced southern drawl I still use southern colloquialisms such as y'all and ain't.

ReBurn

Quote from: BigDun on November 06, 2005, 12:09:46 AM

People are often amazed by the fact that I was raised in Arkansas but have no southern accent. At which point I start talking with a drawl just to show them I can.

It was a conscious decision for me not to not have an accent growing up. I should say I choose to speak with a Midwestern (the newscaster accent) because I didn't want to be stereotyped as a "dumb southern hick". That doesn't mean I don't know how to talk that way. Indeed, if I hadn't spoken with a southern accent when working in the chicken factory, I would have gotten my ass kicked.

Even though I don't have a pronounced southern drawl I still use southern colloquialisms such as y'all and ain't.
OMFG!  I thought I was the only one who tried to get rid of the accent.  Having been raised in the deep south, I have always been conscious of my accent, and I worked really hard to lose it.  I think that people don't take someone with a southern accent seriously.

BigDun

Quote from: ReBurninator on November 06, 2005, 12:15:07 AM
Quote from: BigDun on November 06, 2005, 12:09:46 AM

OMFG!  I thought I was the only one who tried to get rid of the accent.  Having been raised in the deep south, I have always been conscious of my accent, and I worked really hard to lose it.  I think that people don't take someone with a southern accent seriously.

Stephen Cobert (of Comedy Central) also grew up in the deep south and made it a point to not have a southern accent to avoid being stereotyped.

grace

spent 2 yrs. in "Saltville" Va.  (salt capitol of the confederacy)....my vocabulary has gone south since.... TV...became TEEE VEE ...wash...became ...WORSH...

Beefy

I spent high school doing theater.  Senior year, it was mostly British plays, so by the end of the year any Southern accent I had was gone.  Which was good, as it made a little less target of ridicule when I went to college (no worries, I was still a raging preppy lifeguard, so I got my share of insults).

Since I've been back in Texas for the last nine years, it has started to creep back in.  But just a little.

VikingJuice is one of those folks who has been in Texas for ages as well and I don't think he's ever had an accent.  Not one that I notice.  I think the accent gene skipped him.  Lucky bastard.

VikingJuice

Quote from: Beefy on November 06, 2005, 10:18:32 AM
I spent high school doing theater.  Senior year, it was mostly British plays, so by the end of the year any Southern accent I had was gone.  Which was good, as it made a little less target of ridicule when I went to college (no worries, I was still a raging preppy lifeguard, so I got my share of insults).

Since I've been back in Texas for the last nine years, it has started to creep back in.  But just a little.

VikingJuice is one of those folks who has been in Texas for ages as well and I don't think he's ever had an accent.  Not one that I notice.  I think the accent gene skipped him.  Lucky bastard.

It has seaped in a bit, but for the most part, I consider it a second language. Everytime I start using some Texas-ism, I hear my mother in my head correcting my speech. Maybe it's her fault I don't fit in.

Jessie

I have a terrible accent.  I can subdue it a bit when I make a conscious effort to do so.  I usually don't worry about it though.  I figure that if people assume that I'm dumb I can get in a suprise attack of intellect and they'll be even more impressed at my smartitude.

Gamplayerx

My mom's from South Carolina.  The accent only makes an appearance when she's mad.  If mom starts drawling, run.

ReBurn

Quote from: Jessie on November 06, 2005, 05:02:34 PM
I have a terrible accent.  I can subdue it a bit when I make a conscious effort to do so.  I usually don't worry about it though.  I figure that if people assume that I'm dumb I can get in a suprise attack of intellect and they'll be even more impressed at my smartitude.
So you're saying that if you get an attack of intellect that it would be surprising?

Jessie

Quote from: ReBurninator on November 06, 2005, 06:20:53 PM
So you're saying that if you get an attack of intellect that it would be surprising?
Uh, yeah. 

Alice

I like men with a little bit of a southern drawl.  But the total accent, triggers off the fact that they're stupid to me... even though I know that they could very well be highly intelligent.

Beefy

I figure that if people assume that I'm dumb I can get in a suprise attack of intellect and they'll be even more impressed at my smartitude.

Oh man, there's just so many ways to run with this.

DownSouth

16:15:43 [Gamplayerx] Juneau, I could really go for some pie. You better Belize it!