News:

What happens if you get scared half to death twice?

Main Menu

how do you frame mirrors

Started by Dry then Catch, September 12, 2005, 04:40:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dry then Catch

Repainted and minorly remodeled my hall bathroom this weekend.  I notice that the mirror looks sort of drab and institutional.  I heard that putting some sort of moulding or frame makes it look better, but I'm at a loss as to how without it looking like crap.

The mirror is more or less held maybe .25 inches off the wall by four plastic retainers with screw.  Can I just put moulding around the wall, or would that look bad. 

Or are there prefab, mirror frames?

cnamon

If you want to get artsy, you could paint a decortive pattern on or around the mirror.

Dry then Catch

Quote from: cnamon on September 12, 2005, 04:42:44 PM
If you want to get artsy, you could paint a decortive pattern on or around the mirror.

no i am barely heterosexual as it is.  a manly plain looking frame or border will do.  preferrably out of a bag

dazie

Go get a picture frame that is the same size as the mirror.
"Pinky, are you pondering what I'm pondering?"
I think so, Brain, but how will we get the Spice Girls into the paella?

ignom

Go buy some 2x4s and just nail them to the wall around the mirror.
Underneath this flabby exterior is an enormous lack of character.

dazie

"Pinky, are you pondering what I'm pondering?"
I think so, Brain, but how will we get the Spice Girls into the paella?

nishi

how do you frame mirrors?

is it just me, or does this sound like the beginning of a comedian's gig somewhere in a small lounge in the catskills?
"we left the motherland to settle a colony on Juntoo.  hats with belt buckles."
-catchr

<- this is a prankapple.

Dry then Catch

so whats the deal with airline peanuts.

i think i'll just buy a pre-framed mirror

Alice

Put a bloody knife in the trunk of his car, then smash his tail lights so he gets pulled over by a cop.

ReBurn

Yep, it's not what you know, it's what you can prove.
11:42:24 [Gamplayerx] I keep getting knocked up.
11:42:28 [Gamplayerx] Er. OUT!

Dry then Catch

Quote from: AliceLiddell on September 13, 2005, 10:33:54 AM
Put a bloody knife in the trunk of his car, then smash his tail lights so he gets pulled over by a cop.

why did this take me 4 hours to figure out

ignom

Quote from: CatchrNdRy on September 13, 2005, 11:03:05 AM

I'm trying to figure out how you fit four hours into the 30 minutes since she posted it.
Underneath this flabby exterior is an enormous lack of character.

Dry then Catch

Quote from: ignom on September 13, 2005, 11:13:56 AM

I'm trying to figure out how you fit four hours into the 30 minutes since she posted it.

i think i can transcend space and time

Mr. Ubiquity

Quote from: CatchrNdRy on September 12, 2005, 04:40:47 PM
Repainted and minorly remodeled my hall bathroom this weekend.  I notice that the mirror looks sort of drab and institutional.  I heard that putting some sort of moulding or frame makes it look better, but I'm at a loss as to how without it looking like crap.

The mirror is more or less held maybe .25 inches off the wall by four plastic retainers with screw.  Can I just put moulding around the wall, or would that look bad. 

Drab and institutional.  Right up your alley Eh?
"if I wank to it, will u feel disgusted or flattered or a perverse combo of both?"

Dry then Catch

Quote from: Marixis on September 13, 2005, 12:06:42 PM
Quote from: CatchrNdRy on September 12, 2005, 04:40:47 PM

Drab and institutional.  Right up your alley Eh?

yes i can't wait to fill this hosue with my 2.5 children produced only in missionary position. 

Mr. Ubiquity

your..
1) a man (  waiting for genetic test to prove that of course
2) you dont listen
3) you dont take directions.
"if I wank to it, will u feel disgusted or flattered or a perverse combo of both?"

alexanderthesoso

simply find moulding material you like at the home depot an nail it up with finishing nails around the mirror, being careful not to break the mirror.  if the mirror isnt square, or you want to get fancy, sand down the back of the moulding a half to full inch in width on the edge that will fit over the mirror, enough that it will fit over the mirror.  glue down felt and hammer into place.  use a level.  it looks suprisingly good, especially with a wood stained to the tone of the rest of your wood furniture (light medium or dark)

this also works VERY VERY VERY well for wall maps.  had a neighbor who had a map of the world, 6 foot high by 11 foot long, on a wall.  th epanels were put in place with thumbtacks, then the moulding nailed over the edge.  looked like a profesional framing job, and wasnt. 

Dry then Catch

oh oh im glad you replied here is my problem i have a pic

how do i frame around those retainers that is holding it up?  do i cut around the moulding?   its about time we had some west coast time zone people to post when the other tards are asleep.

alexanderthesoso

ahh, handy holds.  yeah, you can carve out an area in the moulding.  those things are ugly, but hey. 

Dry then Catch

Quote from: alexanderthesoso on September 21, 2005, 07:08:56 AM
ahh, handy holds.  yeah, you can carve out an area in the moulding.  those things are ugly, but hey. 

that sounds like a real pain in the ass and that I should just shell out $70 at home depot for a mirror with a frame.  what do you think?