News:

03/23/05 10,000th post provided by Cnamon!

Main Menu

High Tension / Haute Tension - Here be spoilers

Started by Beefy, October 09, 2005, 08:05:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mr. Ubiquity

Quote from: ignom on October 12, 2005, 10:02:13 PM
I thought it was pretty good. Would have been better to rent, or get a free copy.

Started watchin it last night.   Damn couch is evil thoough.  knocked me out.  All i got to was the part where she and her friend get to the house and get settled in her rooms.  last saw her open the med cabinet in the bathroom.  I was wide awake and sitting upright and i zonked.

its gonna take forever to watch it at that rate.
"if I wank to it, will u feel disgusted or flattered or a perverse combo of both?"

Alice

Holy crap, I was not expecting that.

Beefy

Quote from: Alice on November 18, 2005, 10:42:44 AM

I love that first death on the stairwell.  I cringe every single time I see it.

Alice

Quote from: Beefy on November 18, 2005, 10:55:23 AM
Quote from: Alice on November 18, 2005, 10:42:44 AM

I love that first death on the stairwell.  I cringe every single time I see it.

The mom in front of the closet gets me.

Cindy and I were so squirmy during that - and we kept yelling at Marie in the movie.  I don't often lecture movie characters, but I was so mad she wouldn't just stay in one place.

Mr. Ubiquity

as soon as i saw how easy the head came off, i knew there wouldnt be much quality to the movie.

good blood splatter.
  how about the moms wrists being cut off..??

i still want a good explanation for the BS ending to the movie.
"if I wank to it, will u feel disgusted or flattered or a perverse combo of both?"

Alice

Quote from: Mr. Ubiquity on November 18, 2005, 12:06:46 PM

BS ending?  That was the best part.  What didn't you get about it?

Beefy

Quote from: Alice on November 18, 2005, 12:07:41 PM

It certainly explains why she kept running around.

Beefy

Someone should do a slasher flick with marionettes.

Alice

Quote from: Beefy on November 18, 2005, 12:12:37 PM

It certainly explains why she kept running around.

That's the only reason I ended up being okay with the movie.  I was really irritated at most of it - "Why aren't you just staying in the fucking closet?"  Then the ending made everything okay.

Plus, Cindy and I had a very helpful talk.  If one of us is being kidnapped and raped & there is little to no chance of the free one being able to kill the kidnapper... then we're allowed to run and go get help.  "I'm sorry you're chained up in the back of the van... I'd really like to help - but he's got a knife and a shotgun & I have nothing.  So, um, good luck - I'm going to try to get to the police.  KTHX."

Beefy

@l50, fR0m 4 m4l3 p01n+ 0f v13w, +h4+ ch1ck pUllZ 0ff +h3 p1x13 l00k 1n 4 v3RY d3l3c+4bl3 k1nd 0f w4Y.

Alice

Very much so - I thought she was hot.  The odd thing was, in profile, she reminded me A LOT of Claire Forlani.  (Or however you spell her name)  But only in profile.

Mr. Ubiquity

Maybe i dont pay as much attention tot the movies ( I am blonde) but there were some parts that didnt make sense.  Maybe if i look at it in the Fight Club aspect, its all clear.

Shes in the back of the van while its driving and then gets out ( locked, so to speak, wth her friend chained up ) whos driving the damn van?  She beats the shit out of an old man , the so called kidnapper,  who was that? or was it her she seing things.   who gave themselves the nice little head thing in the van with the womans cut off head in the beginning??

am i looking into it too deeply, or am i missing the simpliest things?

Jessie

I just watched this.  I didn't realize I had the original French version on here too, or I would have watched it.  The version I watched was a very odd mix of dubbing and subtitles.

Should have read the thread first.  Of course, then Mr. U's last post would have ruined it for me.

I can't decide how I feel about it.  Much like The Machinist, any ending like this just leaves me with an, "Oh, another Fight Club" feeling.  I'll admit I didn't have it all figured out, but still.  And yeah, lots of it didn't make sense.  Did the car wreck even happen?  If so, how?

I know I'm two years late to this discussion, but anyone feel up to explaining it to me?
we should have kept the quote pyramid up to rape Jessie in the face.

Alice

It's been forever since I've watched this... I'll have to re-watch it for a better explanation.

Maybe we should put "Spoilers" in the first subject line?

Jessie

Fixed that.

I've read some stuff that said that it was ALL in her mind.  That's why nothing makes sense - none of it happened.  If so, I find that completely lame.  I know people don't love M Night nameicantspell, but the Sixth Sense did this beautifully.  It all made sense.  It was this tightly woven plot that all fell together.  To say that it just didn't happen in this movie is too much like the Wizard of Oz (love it as I do) it was all just a dream ending.  Any way you look at it, for me, the ending was a serious let down. 

Beefy

One of the best slasher films of the last ten years... but with a debatable ending.

Alice

Quote from: Jessie on September 08, 2007, 08:48:02 PM
Fixed that.

I've read some stuff that said that it was ALL in her mind.  That's why nothing makes sense - none of it happened.  If so, I find that completely lame.  I know people don't love M Night nameicantspell, but the Sixth Sense did this beautifully.  It all made sense.  It was this tightly woven plot that all fell together.  To say that it just didn't happen in this movie is too much like the Wizard of Oz (love it as I do) it was all just a dream ending.  Any way you look at it, for me, the ending was a serious let down. 
What I got away from it wasn't that as much as... It did happen, but she is one of those people that acts out her dreams.  Those insane sleepwalkers who's bodies do whatever happens in their dreams.  Like that dude that strangled his wife to death in his sleep, because he was dreaming about someone raping and killing her.

Jessie

Quote from: Alice on September 08, 2007, 09:04:19 PM
Fixed that.

What I got away from it wasn't that as much as... It did happen, but she is one of those people that acts out her dreams.  Those insane sleepwalkers who's bodies do whatever happens in their dreams.  Like that dude that strangled his wife to death in his sleep, because he was dreaming about someone raping and killing her.
Hmm.  I didn't get that.  Still, what do you make of the stuff that couldn't possibly make sense?  For instance:

-driving two cars at once
-being in the back of the truck, locking herself in, and driving away
-giving a knife to the other girl
-calling the cops on herself
-the entire scene with the gas clerk.  He was communicating with her and the killer at the same time??
-I'm sure there are more, but that's what I can come up with so far.

Jessie

Quote from: Beefy on September 08, 2007, 08:49:12 PM
One of the best slasher films of the last ten years... but with a debatable ending.
It was a good slasher flick up to that point, definitely.  I think the ending just took the wind out of it though.

Alice

Quote from: Jessie on September 08, 2007, 09:21:12 PM
Fixed that.

Hmm.  I didn't get that.  Still, what do you make of the stuff that couldn't possibly make sense?  For instance:

-the entire scene with the gas clerk.  He was communicating with her and the killer at the same time??

I really am going to have to watch it again, my memory is really fuzzy on the little bits.

Beefy

Fixed that.

I agree that what we saw was how it played out in her mind, not necessarily how it played out in reality.

Also, I hope you watched the French, uncut version, and not the English dub.

Jessie

Quote from: Beefy on September 09, 2007, 07:25:32 AM
Fixed that.

I agree that what we saw was how it played out in her mind, not necessarily how it played out in reality.

Also, I hope you watched the French, uncut version, and not the English dub.

I didn't realize I even HAD the French uncut version.  I would have watched it if I'd known, but I didn't til it was too late.  I'll watch that version when I watch it with Carroll, who hasn't seen it yet.