News:

I went to the general store.  They wouldn't let me buy anything specific.

Main Menu

Review: Charlie and the Chocolate Factory

Started by Beef, July 16, 2005, 08:15:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Beefy

Very much in the same boat as Burton's remake of Planet of the Apes, the movie has some nice moments but is an overall misfire.  Depp is good, though now Wonka's character has been fleshed out and no longer remains the enigma he was.  The oompa-loompas were cool, but the songs were completely unmemorable.  The children are all cast well but are given no real opportunity to shine.  Also, when they are introduced, they look like they've been airburshed, a living version of that Website we all got freaked about with the glamour shots of toddlers.  The pacing is uneven and the film doesn't hold nearly the weight or sense of wonder as the original.  It's worth a matinee, but not much more.  I expected more from this group of talented individuals on this particular project.

Gamplayerx

Is it all original songs or are there ones from the first movie?  Is it a musical in the same sense?  What the heck is up with Depp's teeth?

nallen

I saw it this afternoon, and honestly enjoyed it quite a bit.  it seemed to move a long quite briskly, and the style certainly made you think tim burton.   I liked the air-brushed kids look, it made them seem like creatures more than kids, really acentuating that they are vile little things.   The songs where well done but didn't rise to the memorable level.   

overall, i enjoyed it, and since i really don't go out at night, of course it was a matinee.   
May the Magic Plastic bless you and keep you.

Gamplayerx

Is it all original songs or are there ones from the first movie?  Is it a musical in the same sense?  What the heck is up with Depp's teeth?

ReBurn

These reviews are just too long.  Got a Reader's Digest version?
11:42:24 [Gamplayerx] I keep getting knocked up.
11:42:28 [Gamplayerx] Er. OUT!

Beefy

Quote from: Gamplayerx on July 16, 2005, 09:01:23 PM

New songs.

I don't think it was a musical in the same sense.

You'll have to watch the film to find out about the teeth.  That would be a spoiler.

VikingJuice

Quote from: ReBurninator on July 17, 2005, 07:27:11 AM
These reviews are just too long.  Got a Reader's Digest version?

Music:  barely adequate, the only song I liked at all was the opener with the grand Wonka spectacle
Fun: minimal
Creativity: you've seen one Burton film you've seen 'em all
Pacing:  slooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooow
Overall:  weak as hell.  Catch it on DVD or better yet, HBO

PS.  All new music. 

nallen

With reviews like that guys you'll never get quoted on a movie ad!

And the teeth are a part of the plot.  You'll just have to go see the movie Gampo.
May the Magic Plastic bless you and keep you.

DownSouth

16:15:43 [Gamplayerx] Juneau, I could really go for some pie. You better Belize it!

nishi

i significantly disagree with beefy's first statement. burton's planet of the apes movie made me want to put my eyes out with a shrimp fork. there were big sections of this movie that i enjoyed very very much.

the children are creepy and annoying, even with airbrushing, and they should be. the scenes with charlie's family are much more true to the book than the earlier movie and i liked them much better.

the look is burton but the look suits the book. the opening scene where you see the chocolate being made is kind of creepy. since chocolate manufacturing is not creepy, in general, i liked that.

the songs are not memorable. on the other hand, you don't have to scrub your brain in order to get them out, like that fucking oompa loompa song. also, they are all different... unlike that fucking oompa loompa song.

the exit via squirrels for the annoying rich child is fantastic.

it could have more energy - i think they relied too much on the visuals and not enough on character tension to move the movie along and that's why it drags. i would have liked to see more of a transition from willie wonka being afraid of the children to him sort of being able to tolerate, and then later like, charlie.

however, johnny depp is very funny in this; charming, goofy, and odd. it's an entertaining movie, unless you have hugely high hopes for it. i had moderate hopes and for the most part, they were met. it's easy to see how someone might be disappointed in it. but we're talking about a hollywood interpretation of a children's book. a great children's book, but... still. it's hollywood, no matter how alternative mr. burton might have started out.

i don't expect really much of anything from hollywood, and i usually only go to see matinees. i didn't expect great film, which is good, since i wouldn't have gotten it. it was a fun movie. the squirrels were creepy enough that i wouldn't take a little kid, unless i was prepared to handle squirrel nightmares for a while.

and if you hate It's a Small World, After All, you'll love the way mr. wonka introduces himself to the children. it's obvious that tim burton hates It's a Small World..... and i was seeing it with someone who used to work for the The Mouse, so that increased the bang for the buck.
"we left the motherland to settle a colony on Juntoo.  hats with belt buckles."
-catchr

<- this is a prankapple.

Gamplayerx

Now that's a review!  Thank you, Nishi!

nishi

you are welcome, the hampla! additionally, since you were asking about the teeth - this is the only film that *i* have ever seen that features a POV from inside someone's mouth, looking out.

that's all i'm sayin' about the teeth.

but also, he's got a good thing going with a squeaky rubber glove noise. you don't find that in films very often either.
-catchr

<- this is a prankapple.

Gamplayerx

I saw a news segment talking about the teeth and the backstory, but I'll not ask for more clarifcation in case it's huge spoiler country.

kelbel

:)

Alice

A.  It followed the book better.
B.  You can't compare it to the original - especially the musical numbers.  The first movie was a musical, this one is not.  It's like comparing the Phantom of the Opera to ALW's Phantom.
C.  Johnny Depp was phenomenal.  He was the Willy Wonka that I had always envisioned when I was a kid.

I loved it. 

Beefy

Of course you can compare it to the original.  And the book.  And other Depp/Burton projects.

This film completely lacked any sense of wonder and barely any malice.  Just because it stands closer to the book doesn't mean it's a better film.

I'm glad you all enjoyed it, but I my opinion remains that it is a barely excusable matinee.

Jessie

Still haven't seen it but I still want to.  Maybe I'll catch it one night this week with Timothy, since I'll be moving all weekend.
we should have kept the quote pyramid up to rape Jessie in the face.

Beefy

Quote from: nishi on July 18, 2005, 08:33:32 PM
this is the only film that *i* have ever seen that features a POV from inside someone's mouth, looking out.

Am I remembering correctly that Little Shop of Horrors did it?

Alice

Quote from: Beefy on July 19, 2005, 09:58:32 AM
this is the only film that *i* have ever seen that features a POV from inside someone's mouth, looking out.

Yes sir.  Novocaine with Steve Martin also did it.

VikingJuice

Quote from: Beefy on July 19, 2005, 09:58:32 AM

Also in Empire Strikes Back from the mouth of the Space Slug on the Asteroid escape.

Now that I've had more time to digest, I think the dialogue was substandard too.  The only things you get from Wonka are these mildly odd comments.  It's like he was channeling Edward Scissor Hands' brain to do Wonka.  I know he's supposed to be emotionally stunted and distant but geez, it was almost identical. 

I think some of you that like Depp would like him no matter what he did or how he did it, I personally think he mailed it in for this movie.

Alice

Quote from: vikingjuice on July 19, 2005, 01:35:24 PM
I think some of you that like Depp would like him no matter what he did or how he did it, I personally think he mailed it in for this movie.

I actually really did not like Depp much until Pirates.  Then I started to be able to appreciate him a bit more.  But I am not one of his #1 fans.

Mailed it in though?  You can't blame the man because he didn't have as much dialogue as you'd hoped for - that's not his fault at all.  And Edward Scissorhands was shy and unsure of himself, he basically played a 5 year old kid.  Willy Wonka was not shy and was not unsure - he was a little odd, of course, but that's how Roald Dahl intended.  I don't think he was the same at all.

Now if we want to talk about Denzel Washington playing a cop/bodyguard for the 100th movie in a row, then you'd be dead on.

ReBurn

Quote from: aliceliddell on July 20, 2005, 09:05:31 AM

I actually really did not like Depp much until Pirates.  Then I started to be able to appreciate him a bit more.  But I am not one of his #1 fans.

Mailed it in though?  You can't blame the man because he didn't have as much dialogue as you'd hoped for - that's not his fault at all.  And Edward Scissorhands was shy and unsure of himself, he basically played a 5 year old kid.  Willy Wonka was not shy and was not unsure - he was a little odd, of course, but that's how Roald Dahl intended.  I don't think he was the same at all.

Now if we want to talk about Denzel Washington playing a cop/bodyguard for the 100th movie in a row, then you'd be dead on.
If I was an LAPD detective I would be just like him in Training Day.  But only if I got to do Eva Mendez like he did.

nishi

Quote from: aliceliddell on July 20, 2005, 09:05:31 AM

i think i've seen.... i just checked. six of his films included charlie. i think he's a very interesting actor and i think he's enormously handsome, but that doesn't mean that i automatically like anything he does. oddly, i can find someone handsome and still think rationally about their work. i liked the movie, but not because he's pretty. he's much prettier in other films. and while i liked him in this, i've liked him better in other things, but that doesn't mean that i think he sucked in this.

he did some nice work. and i agree with alice - willy was very different from edward scissorhands.
-catchr

<- this is a prankapple.

Beefy

Quote from: nishi on July 20, 2005, 09:49:47 AM
oddly, i can find someone handsome and still think rationally about their work.

You big liar.

ReBurn

willy was very different from edward scissorhands.
Speaking of which, how did Edward Scissorhands go to the bathroom?  I'm sure that he would have cut off his willy.

Beefy

Quote from: ReBurninator on July 20, 2005, 12:39:23 PM
willy was very different from edward scissorhands.
Speaking of which, how did Edward Scissorhands go to the bathroom?  I'm sure that he would have cut off his willy.

Dianne Weist gave him a hand with it.

ReBurn

I just took my daughter and three of her friends to see this movie for her birthday.  I enjoyed it, though the music was a bit difficult to understand.

cnamon

I finally saw this.  I thought it was good.  And even looking creepy, Johnny Depp looked cute.

DownSouth

I finally saw it the other day.  It was alright.
16:15:43 [Gamplayerx] Juneau, I could really go for some pie. You better Belize it!

dazie

Ursus bought this for Kate a few weeks ago, and I resisted watching it, as the first one creeps me right the fuck out.  I really REALLY dislike it.  However, when you have a Johnny Depp-obsessed 9 yr old in the house, you tend to end up watching this movie.

That said- I really like this one.  It seems to be more "approachable"- creepy and fun, more like the book (which also is creepy and fun) instead of JUST creepy.

I agree though, that the kids aren't a big focus, which is kind of weird, because if the kids aren't the focus, what is??  I mean, yeah, Wonka has his moments, but it isn't the WHOLE movie.

I love the Oompa Loompa songs.  Danny Elfman is such a talent, and it's neat that we know some of the soundtrack players.  The kids and I have actually been doing the dances that they teach you on the DVD extras, and that's a hoot.

Now the whole family is doing WW quotes.  "You're really weird" and "MUMBLER!" which cracks me up every time.
"Pinky, are you pondering what I'm pondering?"
I think so, Brain, but how will we get the Spice Girls into the paella?

Gamplayerx

I couldn't hear the Ooompa Loompa songs very well.  Are they more distinct on the DVD?

dazie

It took a few times to get the words over the music, but honestly, I wasn't really paying attention to the words because the music is so cool.

Jessie

The first one was fun and fantastic.  I love Gene Wilder.

dazie

Ursus and the kids are watching that one now.  *shudder*

I think I'm going to go take a bath.

ReBurn

Those little Oompa Loompas are kinda weird. Why am I watching this?

swolt

Quote from: ReBurn on May 22, 2007, 10:13:45 PM

cutting yourself was too emo?
A clever man commits no minor blunders.

ReBurn

Quote from: swolt on May 22, 2007, 10:17:42 PM
Quote from: ReBurn on May 22, 2007, 10:13:45 PM

cutting yourself was too emo?
I already did that when Heroes ended. I went across the street, though. Because I really just wanted sympathy.

swolt

I cut myself once, a long cut starting near my toe and ending on my heel. The glass was so sharp I didn't even feel it, I didn't know I had been cut until I moved and slipped in my blood. I cried for mom and she came in the kitchen, saw the blood, and passed out. I don't know what she was trying to accomplish but it wasn't very helpful, because that left my dad to take care of me, and his idea was to duc tape my foot until we got to the hospital.

I wish I was making that up.

Did I ever tell you guys about the time I had busted my chin and had to get stitches? My dad took me to an animal hospital because he was friends with the vet.

Again, I wish I was making that up.

Gamplayerx

It's weird that all the oompa loompas are the same weird little guy.  Also, I had no idea you could do first aid with duct tape.  Also, my high school boyfriend's nickname was Duck.  I didn't call him that, though.  Now, I call him psycho.  But that's another story and, thankfully, doesn't involve duct tape.

swolt

duct tape can fix almost anything.

except the gapping hole jessie left in my heart when she signed off to go to bed. that will remain broken forever.

ReBurn

When I was young I quite often used duct tape to close wounds. I learned that from my uncle. And like swolt, I wish I were making that up.

Chewing, chewing all day long! This music rocks!

swolt

I broke a finger once (well Jared broke it actually, it just happened to be my finger that he broke) and mom made a splint out of popsicle sticks and and medical tape, but the medical tape kept coming loose so dad fixed it with duct tape. I'll have to ask mom for it, but there is a picture somewhere of me and that splint.

ReBurn

Don't touch that squirrel's nuts! It'll make him crazy!

dazie

Swolt's parents must have had 9 kids so when they killed him there would be replacements.

Jessie

Quote from: dazie on May 23, 2007, 08:36:05 AM
Swolt's parents must have had 9 kids so when they killed him there would be replacements.
Zing!

Alice

My "boyfriend" has the nickname Ducky.

But I don't know why.  I don't think it's cuz of duct tape though, either.

Jessie

I rode the bus to middle school with a guy nicknamed Duck.

He died.

The end.

Alice

Quote from: Jessie on May 23, 2007, 08:46:12 AM
I rode the bus to middle school with a guy nicknamed Duck.

He died.

The end.
My mom used to ride the bus to school with this kid named George who had downs.  The kids on the bus started teasing him with the "Georgie Porgie" nursery rhyme.  I never learned that one til I was about 16, because my mom hated it so much since it brought back those memories of the kids being so mean so she never read it to us even though it was in a bunch of our books.

Gamplayerx

Damn, this thread sure took a downward turn.

swolt

and don't think my dad hasn't used that as a threat.

when I was about 10 my sister told me we had an older brother named Steve and dad had killed him because he was bad, and if I wasn't good she would tell dad to kill me. I believed it for like a year.

I was pretty stupid growing up. I believed anything my sister told me.

BigDun

Quote from: swolt on May 23, 2007, 08:56:30 PM

when I was about 10 my sister told me we had an older brother named Steve and dad had killed him because he was bad, and if I wasn't good she would tell dad to kill me. I believed it for like a year.

And exactly how have things changed?

[size=PT]Just kidding, we know you don't listen to everything your sister tells you.[/size]
16:26:25 [DownSouth] I'm in a monkey rutt

Infobahn

I have a thing about bloated purple colored women.

ReBurn

Missi Pyle is kinda hot. In a neurotic kind of way.

BigDun

Quote from: ReBurn on May 23, 2007, 09:49:33 PM
I've met her. I could probably introduce her to you if you came to Memphis around xmas.
16:26:25 [DownSouth] I'm in a monkey rutt

Infobahn

Quote from: BigDun on May 23, 2007, 10:58:46 PM
Quote from: ReBurn on May 23, 2007, 09:49:33 PM
I've met her. I could probably introduce her to you if you came to Memphis around xmas.
I just saw her in Dodgeball.  Kinda scary in that.

Gamplayerx

Seriously.  If she'd said his name was Jeffrey or Jason or Jarrett or something ... but you fell for Steve?

dazie

Quote from: Gamplayerx on May 24, 2007, 08:51:56 AM

Seriously.  If she'd said his name was Jeffrey or Jason or Jarrett or something ... but you fell for Steve?

HAH!  Exactly.

swolt

Quote from: dazie on May 24, 2007, 08:53:35 AM
Quote from: Gamplayerx on May 24, 2007, 08:51:56 AM

HAH!  Exactly.

This was before there were a bunch of us all named J. At the time it was just me Julie and Jared. I had not figured it out yet.