News:

10/13/05 ReBurn nails the 90,000th post with a bullet! And what a bullet it was.

Main Menu

Review: The Aristocrats

Started by Beef, August 14, 2005, 08:36:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Beefy

Did I laugh from the very start to the very finish?  No.

Was every version of the joke told funny?  No.

Was it edited with a chainsaw?  Apparently.

Did I still laugh louder and harder during this film than I have at anything else in a good long time?  Yes.

Does this film legitimize and encourage the type of behavior I tend to dwell in on Junto?  Oh yes.  Be afraid.

Can I count 30 different things I want to do to Sarah Silverman?  31, even.

Is Bob Saget is the greatest person on the face of the planet?  Looks possible.

Is any topic taboo when it comes to laughs.  No.  BIG NO.

Did anyone walk out during the film?  Yeah, we think we saw two go.

Do they go places that you just don't think they'll go, subject wise?  That's the point, kind of.

The cool thing is how you learn what makes a joke funny.  Who delivers it... how it is delivered... do punchlines even need to exist?  It's a dissection of the comedic process dealing specifically with one joke and how it has evolved with new tellers and as society shifts in what is considered socially inappropriate.

Is there another film with anywhere near this level of profanity?  Nope.

Should people who are easily offended go see it?  Yeah, you overly sensitive motherfucking shitbags.

Oh, and Jessie... they briefly discuss felching.

Beefy

Oh, be sure to stay all the way through the credits, for one last surprise cameo and one of the funniest disclaimers to ever get put on a film.

eo000

Silverman will be on the comedy central roast of pam anderson at 10.

just letting you know, cause you're a fan of her and shit.

Gamplayerx

I've heard that Beefy is a huge fan of shit.

I really want to see this movie.  I wonder what the theater to DVD time frame is running now.

VikingJuice

Quote from: eo000 on August 14, 2005, 08:49:34 PM
Silverman will be on the comedy central roast of pam anderson at 10.

just letting you know, cause you're a fan of her and shit.

Beefy was drooling on her in the movie this afternoon but I think he's exercising instead of watching Comedy Central.  She looks good in that sheer green outfit tonight.

Jessie

I'd like to see this.

I watched most of the Pam Anderson roast.  I wanted to crawl under my couch when that one dude told Courtney Love that she looked worse that Kurt Cobain.
we should have kept the quote pyramid up to rape Jessie in the face.

eo000

Quote from: Jessie on August 15, 2005, 07:21:36 AM
I'd like to see this.

I watched most of the Pam Anderson roast.  I wanted to crawl under my couch when that one dude told Courtney Love that she looked worse that Kurt Cobain.
yeah, it got quiet for the rest of his bit.

ursus

Quote from: eo000 on August 15, 2005, 07:26:31 AM
I'd like to see this.

Why? That is truly fucking funny. Love is the worlds most  overhyped crack whore, we're supposed to treat her like royalty now?
I was just wondering...

Jessie

Quote from: ursus on August 15, 2005, 07:31:47 AM
I'd like to see this.

Why? That is truly fucking funny. Love is the worlds most  overhyped crack whore, we're supposed to treat her like royalty now?

It was totally awkward.  Crackwhore or not, it was over the line.  I'm hard to offend, but it really made me wince.  Maybe it wouldn't have been so bad if any of his jokes were funny.

ursus

Quote from: Jessie on August 15, 2005, 07:37:43 AM
I'd like to see this.

It was totally awkward. Crackwhore or not, it was over the line. I'm hard to offend, but it really made me wince. Maybe it wouldn't have been so bad if any of his jokes were funny.
We don't have cable, so I guess I should see the clip in context. Wasn't it a roast? Sometimes you go for the jugular.
I was just wondering...

Jessie

Quote from: ursus on August 15, 2005, 07:41:14 AM
I'd like to see this.

It was totally awkward. Crackwhore or not, it was over the line. I'm hard to offend, but it really made me wince. Maybe it wouldn't have been so bad if any of his jokes were funny.
We don't have cable, so I guess I should see the clip in context. Wasn't it a roast? Sometimes you go for the jugular.

It was a roast, and there were plenty of 'you're a dirty whore, Pam Anderson' jokes, and 'you're a crackwhore, Courtney' that gave you the appropriate level of awkwardness for a roast, but his set was just tasteless.  I guess it's all subjective, and there's no clear line to go over, but in my mind, and apparently the minds of the entire cast and audience, he crossed it.

ursus

Quote from: Jessie on August 15, 2005, 07:42:53 AM
I'd like to see this.

It was a roast, and there were plenty of 'you're a dirty whore, Pam Anderson' jokes, and 'you're a crackwhore, Courtney' that gave you the appropriate level of awkwardness for a roast, but his set was just tasteless. I guess it's all subjective, and there's no clear line to go over, but in my mind, and apparently the minds of the entire cast and audience, he crossed it.
S'Ok, I tend to go out of my way to make tasteless remarks where Cobain and Love are concerned. I reallllyy don't groove on either of them, he was a loser and she is wasting oxygen my children could use...
I was just wondering...

Jessie

Quote from: ursus on August 15, 2005, 07:48:20 AM
I'd like to see this.

It was a roast, and there were plenty of 'you're a dirty whore, Pam Anderson' jokes, and 'you're a crackwhore, Courtney' that gave you the appropriate level of awkwardness for a roast, but his set was just tasteless. I guess it's all subjective, and there's no clear line to go over, but in my mind, and apparently the minds of the entire cast and audience, he crossed it.
S'Ok, I tend to go out of my way to make tasteless remarks where Cobain and Love are concerned. I reallllyy don't groove on either of them, he was a loser and she is wasting oxygen my children could use...

I think he changed the face of music forever. 

He certainly lost the battle to his demons in his personal life.  I guess that you could call him a loser for that. 

She's simply insane.  I don't really pity her for her problems, but saying something that clearly referenced her husband's looks after shooting himself with a shotgun...yikes.

ursus

Quote from: Jessie on August 15, 2005, 07:56:25 AM
I'd like to see this.

He certainly lost the battle to his demons in his personal life. I guess that you could call him a loser for that.

She's simply insane. I don't really pity her for her problems, but saying something that clearly referenced her husband's looks after shooting himself with a shotgun...yikes.
I would disagree with the impact of Cobain and Nirvana on music as music. He/they certainly did jumpstart a moribund record industry.
I was just wondering...

ReBurn

Nirvana sucked almost as bad as CAKE.  That's just my opinion.  At least they had MTV.
11:42:24 [Gamplayerx] I keep getting knocked up.
11:42:28 [Gamplayerx] Er. OUT!

Jessie

Quote from: ursus on August 15, 2005, 08:00:39 AM
Quote from: Jessie on August 15, 2005, 07:56:25 AM
I'd like to see this.

He certainly lost the battle to his demons in his personal life. I guess that you could call him a loser for that.

She's simply insane. I don't really pity her for her problems, but saying something that clearly referenced her husband's looks after shooting himself with a shotgun...yikes.
I would disagree with the impact of Cobain and Nirvana on music as music. He/they certainly did jumpstart a moribund record industry.

I think it'd be hard to deny that they changed the tone of music and brought out a new generation of bands, doing away with the glam rock of the 80's.  You don't have to like them, but I think you have to admit that they had that effect.

I personally see Kurt Cobain as someone who was painfully honest in his music, who didn't want to get where he got, and buckled under the pressure.  I don't see him as a hero or anything like that, but I think that he was a groundbreaker.

Jessie

Quote from: ReBurninator on August 15, 2005, 08:07:24 AM
Nirvana sucked almost as bad as CAKE.  That's just my opinion.  At least they had MTV.

Pffft.

Of course, all taste in music is subjective.  I'm not speaking as to the quality of their music necessarily, but their impact on the music scene of the time.

I remember the first time I saw the video for Smells Like Teen Spirit (yes, I know they had plenty of music before that, but I didn't know of them until that song, much like the majority of people).  I couldn't take my eyes off the screen.  It was completely different than anything I'd ever seen.

ReBurn

Quote from: Jessie on August 15, 2005, 08:11:40 AM

Pffft.

Of course, all taste in music is subjective.  I'm not speaking as to the quality of their music necessarily, but their impact on the music scene of the time.

I remember the first time I saw the video for Smells Like Teen Spirit (yes, I know they had plenty of music before that, but I didn't know of them until that song, much like the majority of people).  I couldn't take my eyes off the screen.  It was completely different than anything I'd ever seen.
My sister-in-law wore teen spirit when she was a teenager.  That deodorant was so bad that when she would sweat it smelled like someone poured beer on her.

Jessie

Quote from: ReBurninator on August 15, 2005, 08:13:21 AM

Pffft.

My sister-in-law wore teen spirit when she was a teenager.  That deodorant was so bad that when she would sweat it smelled like someone poured beer on her.

Haha!  I never used that crap, even as a teen I knew that was just stupid marketing.

ursus

Pffft.

Of course, all taste in music is subjective. I'm not speaking as to the quality of their music necessarily, but their impact on the music scene of the time.

I remember the first time I saw the video for Smells Like Teen Spirit (yes, I know they had plenty of music before that, but I didn't know of them until that song, much like the majority of people). I couldn't take my eyes off the screen. It was completely different than anything I'd ever seen.
Well put. I tend to think that Pearl Jam had more impact, but they (as a band) hated the press. They tend to get forgotten. And I agree about the impact, the record industry was in about the same shape then as it's in now.

Music (to me) is a fairly specific set of issues, lyric content is another matter. I feel totally unable to judge lyrics, I haven't paid attention to them (except for Ben Folds) since Earth, Wind and Fire released "Faces"...
I was just wondering...

ReBurn

Quote from: ursus on August 15, 2005, 08:18:29 AM

Pffft.

Of course, all taste in music is subjective. I'm not speaking as to the quality of their music necessarily, but their impact on the music scene of the time.

I remember the first time I saw the video for Smells Like Teen Spirit (yes, I know they had plenty of music before that, but I didn't know of them until that song, much like the majority of people). I couldn't take my eyes off the screen. It was completely different than anything I'd ever seen.
Well put. I tend to think that Pearl Jam had more impact, but they (as a band) hated the press. They tend to get forgotten. And I agree about the impact, the record industry was in about the same shape then as it's in now.

Musically (to me) is a fairly specific set of issues, lyric content is another matter. I feel totally unable to judge lyrics, I haven't paid attention to them (except for Ben Folds) since Earth, Wind and Fire released "Faces"...
Same here about judging lyrics.  After all of those years of piano lessons with that tyrannical old woman I tend to totally disregard the lyrics of a song and concentrate on the music itself.  In that respect Nirvana was absolutely no different from any of the other Seattle grunge bands. 

That's why I don't listen to tons of new music.  None of it is really all that original any more.  It's all about the formula for selling records.  The best music comes from the indie artists that you never hear from, which I find sad.

ursus

Quote from: ReBurninator on August 15, 2005, 08:24:18 AM

Pffft.

Musically (to me) is a fairly specific set of issues, lyric content is another matter. I feel totally unable to judge lyrics, I haven't paid attention to them (except for Ben Folds) since Earth, Wind and Fire released "Faces"...
Same here about judging lyrics. After all of those years of piano lessons with that tyrannical old woman I tend to totally disregard the lyrics of a song and concentrate on the music itself. In that respect Nirvana was absolutely no different from any of the other Seattle grunge bands.

That's why I don't listen to tons of new music. None of it is really all that original any more. It's all about the formula for selling records. The best music comes from the indie artists that you never hear from, which I find sad.
I listen to jazz (read be-bop, not that "smooth" stuff) and mostly avoid the whole thing...
I was just wondering...

Jessie

Pffft.

I don't like Pearl Jam that much, mostly because Eddie Vedder just rubs me the wrong way.  I think that SLTS opened the door, but Pearl Jam and Soundgarden and others were certainly right there with them, coming through at the same time.

I'm usually the same way re:  lyrics vs music.  I tend to listen to the song as a whole, without disecting the lyrics.  Sometimes, though, I do pay attention to it all, and sometimes I notice that the writer was really saying something.  It's not necessarily something that will change the world, but sometimes it's a real glimpse into their head and their pain or happiness.

Usually, though, I like stuff that I just enjoy listening to.  

cnamon

I saw it and when the topic of felch came up, I thought warmly of Jessie too.

Sarah Silverman, the mime, and Bob Saget were the best, I thought.

Junto is about to get a little dirrrtier.

The best part of the roast was Bea Arthur reading parts of Star Struck.

Jessie

Quote from: cnamon on August 15, 2005, 08:28:59 AM
I saw it and when the topic of felch came up, I thought warmly of Jessie too.

Sarah Silverman, the mime, and Bob Saget were the best, I thought.

Junto is about to get a little dirrrtier.

The best part of the roast was Bea Arthur reading parts of Star Struck.

Absolutely.  Bea Arthur talking about anal sex:  It just doesn't get any better than that.