News:

Some people are alive only because it's illegal to kill.

Main Menu

Stupid trailers got me all excited...

Started by Bishamonten, June 22, 2005, 10:22:15 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bishamonten

Nesh and I went to go see Batman Begins( which, beside a couple detracting points, I really really loved ) ( p.s. Mark Hammill for Joker in the next Batman flick PLEASE ) and it was prefaced by about 30 fucking minutes of ads and trailers.  Three of the trailers - each movies that I was completely uninterested in got me somewhat excited. 
First up, Dukes of Hazzard - Word has it that the Johnny Knoxville and Sean William Scott wouldn't touch this flick so Director Jay Chandrasekhar told them he and the Broken Lizard boys would rewrite it.  You may remember Broken Lizard from a brilliant movie called Super Troopers.  Originally, I told Nesh, "if it just weren't for Jessica Simpson, I'd be all excited about that...", to which Nesh replied, "Could there be a better Daisy Duke?"   And she's right.  This may be one of the only other films I'm excited enough to see in the Theatres.

Next came the extended trailer for Willy Wonka.  The initial trailers for this looked like a total abortion.  Focusing on how weird Johnny Depp was and how strange things looked in the factory.   It also had the worst song every concieved.  The extended trailer focuses more on Charlie and his grandfather and then developing relationship with Willy Wonka - which is the stories strongest point.  It seemed much more interesting with this focus and much more human.  Watchable.  But watchable on DVD, I think.

Lastly, they had a trailer for The War of the Worlds - starring the chemically unagable Dakota Fanning.  I'd read that there's not -one- destroyed national monument.  Nor any of the other trappings of crappy HUGE EXPLOSION movies - which is a welcome relief.  It actually looked somewhat intense, and while I think Spielberg has lost almost all of his skill and vision, I think it harkens back to older Spielberg movies.   

Jessie

What's wrong with Dakota Fanning's teeth lately?
we should have kept the quote pyramid up to rape Jessie in the face.

cnamon

Bishamonten

Quote from: Jessie on June 22, 2005, 10:29:23 AM
What's wrong with Dakota Fanning's teeth lately?

She doesn't age but maybe her teeth keep growing.  Soon she'll look like Gilbert Godfried.

ignom

I've never seen a Dakota Fanning movie unless you count Kim Possible: A Sitch in Time, and she just does a voice in that.

Kim Possible rules.
Underneath this flabby exterior is an enormous lack of character.

Jessie

You haven't seen I am Sam?

Her front teeth look rotten.  Can't someone get her some caps or get them pulled or something?

ignom

Alice

ignom

Quote from: aliceliddell on June 22, 2005, 10:43:00 AM
Quote from: ignom on June 22, 2005, 10:39:40 AM
Quote from: Jessie on June 22, 2005, 10:36:32 AM
You haven't seen I am Sam?

I have not seen I am Sam.
Do you watch Malcom in the Middle at all?

I watch it occasionally. I don't really like it.

cnamon

Alice

cnamon

Beefy

I want to be excited for Dukes, but I'm not.  My buddy worked on it and said the SuperTroopers guys were far more interested in snorting coke and partying than making the film.  Jessica Simpson annoys me.  And Club Dread forgot to be funny, save a few lines.

I'm not quite getting the vibe of CATCF, other than weird and quirky.  Alas, weird and quirky do not necessarily equal great.  I prefer Tim Burton in Big Fish mode, I think.  This smells too much like Planet of the Apes.

I've enjoyed Spielberg playing around with his abilities as a storyteller in the last decade.  He hasn't always been successful, but he has always been interesting (save The Terminal, which looked boring as heck to me and I never watched it).  That said, popcorn movies are what he does best, and I am glad to see him returning to that.  Cruise can be an issue, and sometimes he can actually help.  Spielberg apparently refused to go the typical Cruise role route and made him somewhat of a scumbag loser in this one.  Yeah, I read no monuments get thrashed, but there is still tons and tons of destruction.  I read the film never wavers from following the "smaller" story of Cruise and his kids, and that very often it plays out like a horror film, ala Jaws.  And the scene with the ferry boat is supposed to be cool as hell.  So yeah, I'll be there.

Jessie

Quote from: aliceliddell on June 22, 2005, 10:53:36 AM
Her teeth are still better than Hilary Duff's new teeth.

She was much cuter before.

She also looks oddly thin in those pics.

Attention teen stars:  EAT A SAMMICH!

meredith

Dukes is a pretty low priority for me.

I love Roald Dahl's work, and Tim Burton's takes on it, so CATCF I will definitely see opening weekend.  I'm staying optimistic.

Now, as for War of the Worlds... I think this will be a movie that I will like more if I come in with a clean slate.  That is, I won't try to compare it to the book.  Hopefully, it can stand alone.  hate cruise so much.

Beefy

Quote from: hattmoward on June 22, 2005, 11:38:36 AM

I love Roald Dahl's work, and Tim Burton's takes on it, so CATCF I will definitely see opening weekend.  I'm staying optimistic.

Now, as for War of the Worlds... I think this will be a movie that I will like more if I come in with a clean slate.  That is, I won't try to compare it to the book.  Hopefully, it can stand alone.  hate cruise so much.

It's not the book.  It's not even trying.  This has it's own thing going on, from what I've read.

meredith

Quote from: Beefy on June 22, 2005, 11:39:39 AM
Quote from: hattmoward on June 22, 2005, 11:38:36 AM

It's not the book.  It's not even trying.  This has it's own thing going on, from what I've read.

Yeah, that's what it looked like from the trailers.  Hence my idea to not think of the book while I watch the movie. ;D

ursus

I'm going to avoid WOTW like it was a boy-band CD. Ick-ick-icky-ick...

Which means I'll not see anything for a while. Draino has 46 screens, and shows 7 movies... :hit:
I was just wondering...

OBB

I liked War of the Worlds better when it was Mars Attacks.

nishi

yeah, i'm sad about WOTW because i think mr. s is the right director for it. but since tom cruise can't actually act, it doesn't matter how different or scumbaggy his role might be - he'll still be tom cruisey all over the place and i can't take it.

i'm staying optimistic about CATCF though. dahl IS weirdy and quirky, sometimes just because it's fun, like tim burton. so... we'll see.  if nothing else, i'm curious to see how johnny depp is going to interpret willy wonka.
"we left the motherland to settle a colony on Juntoo.  hats with belt buckles."
-catchr

<- this is a prankapple.