A virtual tour of the new pad. Probably not safe for dialup

Started by ignom, May 18, 2005, 07:53:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jessie

We need a decorating party at ig's house.

Of course, I'll just be manual labor, because I have no idea what any of you are talking about.

The only think that caught my eye was the little door and the fact that there's a fireplace.  I like fire.
we should have kept the quote pyramid up to rape Jessie in the face.

nishi

i finally found a place online that has color samples. also, you can "paint the walls" of their sample rooms and get a sense of what some of the colors will look like (there are several sets of samples, from different manufacturers)

http://www.lowes.com/lowes/lkn?action=pg&p=Promos/paintvizsplash.html#

they also have a pretty good general guide on painting:

http://www.lowes.com/lowes/lkn?action=howTo&p=Improve/GidIntPnt.html&rn=RightNavFiles/rightNavHowTo
"we left the motherland to settle a colony on Juntoo.  hats with belt buckles."
-catchr

<- this is a prankapple.

nishi

and another good link there:

http://www.lowes.com/lowes/lkn?action=pg&p=HomeDecor/paintProjCtr_index.html&rn=none

don't get freaked out reading about all the prep. it doesn't take as long as it might sound unless your house is old, which it is not, and spending a little bit of time spackling and sanding and prepping and all makes an HUGE difference in how the room looks when it's done.

welcome to home ownership!
-catchr

<- this is a prankapple.

cnamon

The only advise I can give is make it feel like home...sounds logical, but a lot of times, people decorate and paint and do all this stuff and their home is not inviting.  Have fun with it.  Put up pictures that says things about you.

Jessie

Jessie

Alice

Quote from: eissej on May 19, 2005, 09:10:08 AM
I think having plants makes a home homier.

All my plants die.  I blame them though.  They don't run up and paw me or bark at me when they are thirsty.  Lazy bastards deserve to die.

ignom

Thanks for the help so far!

I need plants for my flowerbed, what should I put in there? I need something I don't have to water and lasts for a really long time.
Underneath this flabby exterior is an enormous lack of character.

Jessie

Quote from: aliceliddell on May 19, 2005, 09:13:17 AM
Quote from: eissej on May 19, 2005, 09:10:08 AM
I think having plants makes a home homier.

All my plants die.  I blame them though.  They don't run up and paw me or bark at me when they are thirsty.  Lazy bastards deserve to die.

I've often said that Timothy was lucky to have been born knowing how to cry.

nishi

Quote from: ignom on May 19, 2005, 09:15:09 AM
Thanks for the help so far!

I need plants for my flowerbed, what should I put in there? I need something I don't have to water and lasts for a really long time.

how much sun does it get? and is that black stuff mulch or some kind of black gravel?
-catchr

<- this is a prankapple.

Beefy

ignom

Quote from: nishi on May 19, 2005, 09:17:30 AM

how much sun does it get? and is that black stuff mulch or some kind of black gravel?

It's mulch or woodchips or something like that.

I don't know about the sun, I haven't been there enough during the day to notice. I'm sure it gets quite a bit.

nishi

for shrubs, you might look at juniper

bayberry

and butterfly bush

some junipers have more horizontal growth and some are more vertical. so that part of your garden stays green all year, i'd recommend both. talk to a local greenhouse about which upright juniper, so you don't end up with one that's 20 feet tall.

you want a mixture of shrubs and plants.
-catchr

<- this is a prankapple.

BigDun

16:26:25 [DownSouth] I'm in a monkey rutt

Jessie

meredith

Youph: time to shave!

ecky- ecky- ecky- ecky- pikang- zoop- boing- goodem- zoo- owli- zhiv

nishi

for the plants, perennials are more expensive (much), but you only have to plant them once. annuals you have to plant every year. so, when establishing a garden, it's good to start with some of both, and over time, reduce how many annuals you have to deal with by planting more perennials each year. unless you find that you like to garden, which some people discover that they do.

here are some of my favorite perennials that would work in your garden and that don't require upkeep:

false indigo:

stella d'oro daylillies:

brazilian sage (this is a terrible picture, but i couldn't find a better one. it gets about 3 feet tall, and has deep cobalt blue flowers - it also attracts hummingbirds. i can send you a start from my plants)

blue oat grass:

red hot poker (and how could any self-respecting junto-ite NOT have this in their garden, i ask you??)

and coreopsis:

-catchr

<- this is a prankapple.

Youphoric

nishi

if you wait until fall, you can get trees, shrubs, and perennials (usually) on sale, and they can be planted - in your area, i think - probably into november.

let me know the measurements of those spots and we'll figure out something.
-catchr

<- this is a prankapple.

ignom

I bought a condo instead of a house for the sole fact that I hate mowing, I doubt I'd like gardening.

cnamon

Quote from: ignom on May 19, 2005, 10:20:33 AM
I bought a condo instead of a house for the sole fact that I hate mowing, I doubt I'd like gardening.
Its nothing to it if you have perinnials!  Just water them until they root and they let nature take its course.

A lot of the flowers have started to bloom...I'll take pictures tonight of them.

[attachment deleted by admin]

nishi

i hate mowing more than death, and i, like most people, came to gardening later. it's more pleasing than you might think. playing in the dirt is MUCH more fun than pushing a fucking lawn mower. plus, there's a lot to be said for walking out your door with a pair of scissors and coming back inside with fresh flowers.

you can also grow a lot of herbs in that plot, and then you have them for cooking. also enormously gratifying. rosemary, basil, sage, thyme, savory, parsley, oregano - all would grow beautifully there.
-catchr

<- this is a prankapple.

Jessie

Quote from: cnamon on May 19, 2005, 10:21:53 AM
Its nothing to it if you have perinnials!  Just water them until they root and they let nature take its course.

A lot of the flowers have started to bloom...I'll take pictures tonight of them.

That blue one is really neat!

nishi

Quote from: cnamon on May 19, 2005, 10:21:53 AM

that is so cute!!!
-catchr

<- this is a prankapple.