News:

"I'd rather regret the things I have done than the things I have not." --Lucille Ball

Main Menu

I effing hate Windows. How do I get rid of this?

Started by Miss Molly, June 01, 2006, 11:16:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Miss Molly

So my automatic update told me I had an update.  It would NOT let me choose NOT to install it.  Either I installed it, or I had the annoying little icon keep popping up in my task manager.  Some bullshit about detecting if my copy of windows is genuine or not.  So of course it's not genuine, hell if I know where my copy came from. 

Now I have an even more annoying notification in my taskbar, and when clicked, brings me to this website:

Can I uninstall whatever the fuck is making it do this?  I am totally not forking out the money to " Purchase a genuine product key online and convert your system to genuine Windows."

what to do?

SockmonkeyHolocaust

Infobahn

ReBurn

That's the Microsoft Genuine Advantage tool.  It knows when you didn't pay for the OS.
11:42:24 [Gamplayerx] I keep getting knocked up.
11:42:28 [Gamplayerx] Er. OUT!

Beefy

Listener

I gotta say, if I'm gonna buy one piece of legitimate over-priced software, it's going to be Windows.  I prefer not to mess around when it comes to the OS.

Beefy

By the way, Molly, I had the exact same thing happen and you can disable it to stop pestering you.  I forget how I did exactly, but if you mess around enough you can find it.

Bennyhana

You could also try linux, but you're probably better off going ahead and buying windows.  I'm still using 2k on  my desktop, because it doesn't know it's not legal.

swolt

are you running XP Pro or home? right click my computer, then properties and it will tell you. if it's xp pro I have a legal key I can give you. If it's home .... you are effed.
A clever man commits no minor blunders.

Miss Molly

ReBurn

Quote from: Bennyhana on June 02, 2006, 12:05:09 PM
You could also try linux, but you're probably better off going ahead and buying windows.  I'm still using 2k on  my desktop, because it doesn't know it's not legal.
I use 2k on most of mine, too.  I only have one XP machine.

swolt

Quote from: ReBurn on June 02, 2006, 08:31:53 PM

I *heart* 2k. I use XP because most people use XP, and I need to know it as well as possible so I can tell them how to do stupid things that they should already know how to do.

ReBurn

Quote from: swolt on June 02, 2006, 08:34:32 PM

I *heart* 2k. I use XP because most people use XP, and I need to know it as well as possible so I can tell them how to do stupid things that they should already know how to do.
And to think that you need to start in on Vista.  You guys downloading the beta versions so you can get a head start?

swolt

Quote from: ReBurn on June 02, 2006, 08:36:42 PM

And to think that you need to start in on Vista.  You guys downloading the beta versions so you can get a head start?
my brother installed the beta on his test machine and I played around with it. The new file system isn't ready yet so I wasn't impressed. It's just XP with a grey theme instead of blue.

ReBurn

Quote from: swolt on June 02, 2006, 08:38:16 PM

my brother installed the beta on his test machine and I played around with it. The new file system isn't ready yet so I wasn't impressed. It's just XP with a grey theme instead of blue.
How long ago?  I believe they just released beta 2.

swolt

Quote from: ReBurn on June 02, 2006, 08:40:17 PM

I had the PRE ALPHA binary that I compiled in MY HEAD. I don't even see code anymore. All I see is redhead, blonde, brunette....

ReBurn

Quote from: swolt on June 02, 2006, 09:00:50 PM
Quote from: ReBurn on June 02, 2006, 08:40:17 PM

I had the PRE ALPHA binary that I compiled in MY HEAD. I don't even see code anymore. All I see is redhead, blonde, brunette....
Once you're out you can't go back.