3/12/05 5000th post provided by Bishamonten

Main Menu

I'm at my wit's end

Started by sapphirehart, October 23, 2006, 01:10:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

swolt

Quote from: sapphirehart on October 24, 2006, 02:18:41 PM
Quote from: hatt on October 24, 2006, 12:59:02 PM
I can't necessarily tell you what the problem is, but I can probably tell you what the problem is not.

The fun series of tones when modems connect with each other is a negotiation of speeds.  If your modem is V.90 capable, and they are V.92 capable, their modem steps down to V.90 during connection.

There's a chance that the driver is behaving incorrectly, but it would generally be behaving incorrectly for any dial-up connection that you try.  Same with the modem.

Did you create a new dial-up connection for your ISP, or did you change the settings in an existing connection?

Believe it or not, I completely understood what you said...I did create a new connection for my ISP and I thought the same thing BUT...the Bellsouth tech support guy and the web site specifically states you MUST have a V.92 modem or you won't connect.

it's suppose to step down to v.90. My guess is the Bellsouth guy is stupid.

We have a bunch of people tell us Cox Cable told them Windows 98 will not work with cable internet, but it works just fine. I think they just don't want to support it, but it's stupid that they lie.

anyway did you get a new modem? Don't pay more than $20 for a new one.
A clever man commits no minor blunders.